New Royal Carribean cruiser......?

stacyinpa

Hello ~

I hope you dont mind be hopping on this board to ask a few questions?

I have been on 3 cruises so far on 2 different lines. I have never been on a RC cruise and have been thinking about booking the Freedom of the Seas for the week prior to Christmas in 2006. Yes, Im planning that far out.

I am confused about all the eating places on RC ships. I have read about Johnny Rockets etc and if I got it right...those you pay for on your own? Like Disneys Palo, its a reservation, formal attire, pay on your own place.

I wanted to see what you can all share with me about RC? You guys have been on many RC cruises and was hoping you'd share some hints/tips with me. I like the fact of thier private island.

Whenever I call RC they are trying to 'book' me and when I tell them I am checking thinsg out, they rush me off the phone. Unless, there is another customer service line I should be calling.

Is there ice cream machines open all day too? Sounds silly but my 2 dd's really enjoyed that option last week on another ship.

IS there food like burgers and fries available all the time? Theres not alot of info out about the Freedom.....but its looks awesome!

The ships with mini golf and rock climbing...can u use it all day or only while in port?

I hope someone will be kind enough to help familiarize me with RC, and help me out alittle.

I truly appreciate all of your help!

Thank You-

Stacy

I'm probably not the best person to ask about RCCL because, I have experience two very disappointing cruises with them. I'd love to try some of the newer ships myself but, I don't want to get burned again. I'd appreciate any information about food reviews....yes, yes I know food is subjective but, what I am asking is how is the quality lately? I not the type of person who believes just because I'm not cooking or cleaning up that automatically makes the food good. I'm asking about menu selections...have they changed things as simple as more choices of salad dressing? I hate the fact they only give you two or three choices per night and not the usual standards. How about ordering something like a steak that isn't on the menu, do they still act like it takes an act of congress to get a special off the menu order? I'd appreciate any feedback. We're looking at cruises for the spring and, would like to include Royal Caribbean if things in the food department have improved.

Thanks

Let me try and answer what questions I can for you. (See the red comments).

I have been on 3 cruises so far on 2 different lines. I have never been on a RC cruise and have been thinking about booking the Freedom of the Seas for the week prior to Christmas in 2006. Yes, Im planning that far out. Actually, many people already have cruises booked well into 2007 so don't feel alone.

I am confused about all the eating places on RC ships. I have read about Johnny Rockets etc and if I got it right...those you pay for on your own? Like Disneys Palo, its a reservation, formal attire, pay on your own place. Johnny Rockets is a 50s style diner, with hamburgers, fries, milkshakes, etc. There is a $3.95 per person cover charge and it is casual, no reservations are necessary. Usually Adventure Ocean will take the kids there at least one night for dinner at no charge. Now there are formal, sit down, adult's only restaurants on RCI ships, Chops (a steakhouse) and Portofino's an Italian place. The attire is usually smart casual. There is a per person cover charge (on other RCI ships it varies from $20 to $25 per person) and reservations are necessary.

Whenever I call RC they are trying to 'book' me and when I tell them I am checking thinsg out, they rush me off the phone. Unless, there is another customer service line I should be calling. They only have the one number. If you are really interested in just checking and asking questions, you might be better off calling a TA who can provide the same info as the customer service reps without the hold times. A good TA will provide info without requiring you book with them or pay them anything.

Is there ice cream machines open all day too? Sounds silly but my 2 dd's really enjoyed that option last week on another ship. On the cruises I've been on, there usually have been ice cream machines available just outside the windjammer. They aren't available 24/7 but are usually available most of the hours people are normally up. Sometimes they are down for cleaning.

IS there food like burgers and fries available all the time? You can get a burger or hot dog, or pizza through room service 24/7. They will be available in other places throughout the ship, but they won't be available 24/7.

The ships with mini golf and rock climbing...can u use it all day or only while in port? The mini golf is usually available all day, every day. The rock climbing wall will have specific hours that it is open (check your Compass for times), usually not while in port. It has limited hours because it requires staff to monitor it. They do provide all the necessary equipment though, you do need a good pair of socks. The ice rink will have limited hours as well, and will require long pants (not capris) and socks, but skates are provided.

If you are looking into freedom they will have a johnny rockets burger place, two reservation dining rooms, portifinos and chops. They have an ice cream macine in the Windjammer and They should have one on the royal prominade.

Labadee is the private island RCCL uses. It is a pretty nice island and it is never crouded cause only one ship at a time goes there..

I love RCCL and they are my cruise company of choice for the activities, choices, size of ship, and food also :)

have fun

Hello All

I cant say about the new megaliners but the smaller 90,000 tons or less ship that we have been on with RCCL have never been a problem for special request.My wife is picky and theres not one ship board meal that goes buy that doesn't get modified.I'm sorry to hear you've had bad expereinces with them.The reason we've become such RCCL fans is that we;ve never heard the word NO on any of the 4 cruises we've been on. Where we've heard that word on other lines (NCL And lots of hesitation from Carnival)I would definitely not rule out RCCL for your next cruise.We were so blown away on our last cruise we booked on board for the next one . I think the megaliners while they have alot of stuff they lose the personal attention you got on the smaller ships.Thats why we sail the smaller ships.

Seeeuuuu

Jeff

I'm probably not the best person to ask about RCCL because, I have experience two very disappointing cruises with them. I'd love to try some of the newer ships myself but, I don't want to get burned again. I'd appreciate any information about food reviews....yes, yes I know food is subjective but, what I am asking is how is the quality lately? I not the type of person who believes just because I'm not cooking or cleaning up that automatically makes the food good. I'm asking about menu selections...have they changed things as simple as more choices of salad dressing? I hate the fact they only give you two or three choices per night and not the usual standards. How about ordering something like a steak that isn't on the menu, do they still act like it takes an act of congress to get a special off the menu order? I'd appreciate any feedback. We're looking at cruises for the spring and, would like to include Royal Caribbean if things in the food department have improved.

Thanks

Last week on Rhapsody, they had an everyday menu available at dinner every night that had steak, grilled chicken, norwegian salmon, and one or two other items on it. At least once, each of those items was ordered by somebody at my table and they were very good. As to salad dressings, all they offered was house, ranch, and blue cheese, but most nice restaurants I go to these days usually only have a limited selection as well.

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate everyones info. I am just wondering what may not be included once on the ship that I normally wouldnt think about. Johnny Rockets sounds cool! I saw Ben and Jerrys ice cream..do u have to pay for that as well. And also in my one brochure I am pretty sure it said about a small fee for the ice rink?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Stacy

PS: If you sailed other lines can u tell me what was different in them then RC that made u a RC fan? What sets them apart? I have only been on 2 different lines, but there are differences between them...and its not all negative differences either. Thanks again.....Stacy

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate everyones info. I am just wondering what may not be included once on the ship that I normally wouldnt think about. Johnny Rockets sounds cool! I saw Ben and Jerrys ice cream..do u have to pay for that as well. And also in my one brochure I am pretty sure it said about a small fee for the ice rink?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Stacy

PS: If you sailed other lines can u tell me what was different in them then RC that made u a RC fan? What sets them apart? I have only been on 2 different lines, but there are differences between them...and its not all negative differences either. Thanks again.....Stacy

Ben and Jerry's has a charge. The ice rink does not.

I was a Carnival cruiser. I had been on two four night cruises with RCI but last December I took my first seven day cruise with RCI and that sold me. There is nothing out there that can touch a Voyager class ship.

Everyone has their own things that they look for in a cruise. For me it is good service, clean and well kept ships. That is what I found on RCI plus many other things. Carnival does not have a past guest program and RCI does. A good one at that.

No cruise line or ship is perfect and can be picked apart if wanted but I have found a home with RCI and it will take something major to get me to change my mind.

We sail on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival and enjoy all three cruiselines. I book some cruises for itinerary and others for price. I sometimes book a cruise because it leaves from my home port. There are so many different reasons to book various cruises.

I prefer larger new ships for cruises over one week because I like having alot more dining options than one dining room and one buffet every night. New ships usually have two alternative restaurants in addition to a fast food cafe and the buffet. However, I am very content with a smaller older ship on a short cruise. I really enjoy the indoor pools in the solarium on RCCL ships when I am sailing out of cool weather areas. Some ships have movie theaters and self serve laundry, but I really enjoy NCL hot pots for my coffee and tea in my room.

In other words, I would not stop cruising on any cruiseline because I had one bad experience on a ship. Last Spring I had my worst cruise ever on an RCCL ship--terrible food and waiter. However, in the Fall we had a wonderful cruise on a new RCCL ship. We are sailing Carnival in February and RCCL in October. I even got an NCL reservation for the Dawn for Jan 2007 as a Xmas surprise.

Hello ~

I hope you dont mind be hopping on this board to ask a few questions?

Whenever I call RC they are trying to 'book' me and when I tell them I am checking thinsg out, they rush me off the phone. Unless, there is another customer service line I should be calling.

Thank You-

Stacy

I'd suggest that you find a good travel agent in your locality. He or she could answer most if not all of your questions and could provide you with brochures about RCI and other cruiselines so that you might have some points of comparison. Once you have come to a decision, they can help you book your cruise, make any special requests of the cruiseline that you might have (dinner seatings, table size, type and location of your stateroom, and, if there are any, special requirements regarding food, medicine, or handicap accessibility. You have to understand that the RCI telephone number is intended primarily to assist folks who want to book a cruise and while they will usually answer any number of questions you might have about a particular ship or sailing, they can't spend a lot of time with people who are merely shopping and may have not clear intention of booking.

Thanks for your suggestions, however, I only called them because thats the number they have posted online and in brochures to call for more info and what a better way to welcome a new quest then answering a few questions pleasantly. Its not like I was planning on tying up the phoneline.

Dont get me wrong, they did attempt to answer my ?'s, but at the same time push me to place a deposit.

As a new customer wanting to get info from the number they provided, I would hope it wouldnt be a *bother* to guide me into what ship...etc might work best for me....under their guidance. I thought who would know better then the RCCL reps themselves.

My question to them wasnt about shopping...I asked them a few questions and told them I am a NEW RCCL cruiser. Ive been on Carnival and Disney and both of those ships have things that differ between them....thats what I was looking for. I have done 3 cruises and booked them all on my own, never using a travel agent. I learned alot from these boards.

Stacy

The problem is that most of the customer service agents (and this is for any cruise line - it's the same with Carnival and NCL as well) have NEVER been on a cruise. So the only answers they have are pat ones that come from a computer. For example, on this board, we can all tell you that the balconies for the cabins across the back of the ship are much larger than the ones on the sides. But if you call customer service, their computer says they are the same size, so they must be the same size. The customer service agents are booking agents only. They aren't equipped to provide in depth answers to questions. And most of us can tell you from personal experience, that even if you do get an answer to a question, if you called back 5 minutes later, you most likely would get a completely different answer from somebody else. While these customer service agents can tell you the cabin is this size, or this cabin is available on this sailing, they can't tell you much more than that. That is why we all say if you have questions beyond how much is this cabin on this sailing, you need to call a TA.

Seriously, if you have a lot of questions, you need to call a local TA and talk to them. You can still call RCI and book directly with them after you get your answers.

Archived