Trip Report: Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean March 25-31, 2018

Day 5 - Thursday, March 29

Dinner, Battle of the Sexes, 70s Night & Hypnotist Show

We are dinner in the Windjammer, where I once again filled my plate full with food and desserts. Again, just a vacation thing, not my regular eating habits! After dinner we took another walk around Deck 4, spent some time on the balcony and a brief nap knowing we’d be up late for tonight’s entertainment.

First up was the Battle of the Sexes game show in the Star Lounge. On Liberty this show was held in Studio B, where Matt participated in the paper airplane challenge. There are no teams here, as the game, much like the game shows earlier in the week, is based solely on audience members volunteering to participate for each challenge. This year, the first challenge was to ask as many audience members as possible from either gender to come to the center of the venue to see which gender was more popular. Matt and I ran up and were surrounded by men. The ubiquitous middle couple from the Love & Marriage game show were here too! I wanted to meet them (they seemed pretty hip), but never got around to introducing myself.

Mom and I left the show about 15 minutes early to get a spot on the Promenade for the Disco Inferno 70s Dancin’ in the Street Party. As mentioned earlier, I was one of the last 90s babies, so I wasn’t born around 70s music and typically listen to top 40 radio, but the 70s did have some great dance music and Mom and I enjoyed this party on Liberty and Allure, as well as the 90s party on Harmony (although that one, while still fun and unique, didn’t have that disco feel).

We stood fairly close to the center bridge where the performers are, and Dad later joined us after Matt went back to the room. On Liberty, as mentioned earlier, Matt and I had a window overlooking the Promenade, so I remember Matt and Dad watching the party from up above while Mom and I were down below where the action was. Amy, the Cruise Director on that cruise, even saw them through the window and waved at them while dancing!

At one point during the party this year, a member of the entertainment staff dancing down the Promenade stopped to grind on Mom in front of Dad and myself. Dad and I laughed because we knew who he was as he had co-hosted some of game shows earlier in the cruise, but Mom was in the middle of videoing and immediately realize who it was. She said nothing, and continued filming the performers above. After she cut the camera and the grinding guy walked away, she looked at us and said “I was about to slap him until I realized he was part of the show and not some random drunk guy!” We all got a kick out of it, and were not the least bit offended as we knew it was all in fun.

Afterwards, I was hoping to get a photo with Cruise Director Drew, Activities Manager Alex and the performers like I did on Liberty, but they never came down for a photo op. Maybe that was unique to Amy and her staff on Liberty.

After the party ended, Matt rejoined us as we headed to the Arcadia Theater for a performance from renowned hypnotist Marc Savard. This was a late performance, and it immediately reminded me of last June, when I graduated high school. The night of the ceremony, just a few hours after receiving our diplomas, there was an all-night lock-in party for the graduating class taking place back at the school that included games, karaoke, gambling (with fake money as not everyone was 18 yet), and, last but not least, a guest hypnotist. Now I see why they didn’t want people bringing cell phones into the party. That would’ve been all over social media! That was a fun night.

Anyway, back on topic. This guy was hilarious, got several audience members onstage and eventually narrowed it down to about 10 people. He had people falling asleep believing different things, for example, he told one girl that “when you wake up, you will think I am the most disgusting human being” and another whose name he convinced was “EIEIO.” It was flat-out hilarious, and he ended the show by waking everyone up from their subconscious states, not remembering anything that had happened. But I’m sure there are videos, although we only have photos. His wife also assisted him, and before the show began, the TV screens in the theater displayed interesting facts about hypnosis that we had never heard before and thought were quite fascinating.

The show ended around 12:50, so we immediately headed to bed in preparation for our final day at sea. I can’t believe we’re already nearing the end, it feels like I just started writing this! What can I say, time flies when you’re having fun, just as it did when I was physically there!

(Once again, please pardon Matt’s silly faces)

27d67c98c660976f12a52bc97757b56b.jpg15abcc6cc2f0d135c4cd12774b53a898.jpg5abb04ec804342fa836feca4f1c28888.jpgc24c693bd3081ba4191712bebb7f60c4.jpg2dede088b1c9f7b635c69c0fb23ed6bb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by CreativeCruiser119

Next up: our final morning at sea, including meeting the Captain! Stay tuned for the next installment tomorrow! (Or later today, depending on what time zone you’re in)

ETA: Matt has received endless playful teasing from us about that first picture, as has Dad, who got caught mid-yawn in a picture I’m sure he wouldn’t want me posting here. Happy weekend everyone!

e2f271f7df3c53f3d1f24eda3a9f1527.jpg4989fa290aef366ac25a5dd6783997c7.jpg3744a5fcb6e60005a8deb24674febf91.jpg2f328e7ad8203abf25149f933cb28adc.jpg

This guy was hilarious, got several audience members onstage and eventually narrowed it down to about 10 people. He had people falling asleep believing different things, for example, he told one girl that “when you wake up, you will think I am the most disgusting human being” and another whose name he convinced was “EIEIO.” It was flat-out hilarious, and he ended the show by waking everyone up from their subconscious states, not remembering anything that had happened. But I’m sure there are videos, although we only have photos. His wife also assisted him, and before the show began, the TV screens in the theater displayed interesting facts about hypnosis that we had never heard before and thought were quite fascinating.

Loved this show. One of my family members took part in the beginning but did not get selected for the final group. Remember when he told the participants that they would remember everything when they next used the bathroom? Well, when I was in the bathroom near the theater after the show had ended, and I heard in the next stall a whiny voice say "Why did he kill the horses? I don't understand why he had to kill the horses."

Looks like you enjoyed Paradise Beach! I went there last March on Navigator (report in signature) and it was really enjoyable. Those palm trees though...we don't have palm trees on the beach in FL so it was just awesome.

I wish I would have made it to the hypnotist, it looked pretty funny!!

Day 6 - Saturday, March 30

Breakfast & Chatting with Senior Officers

We ate breakfast in the Windjammer today, where I still got to enjoy my Eggs Benedict. After breakfast we headed down to the Royal Promenade where Captain Espen and some of his senior officers would be doing a “meet-and-greet” with the guests outside of Ben and Jerry’s, as an alternative to the Captain’s Corner Q & A on other ships. They were also promoting some sort of “Save the Turtles” program. Surprisingly we were a few of the only people that showed up!

Matt and I had a personable chat with Staff Captain Suzanne Del Signore, who was extremely friendly and you can tell she’s very passionate about her job. The Staff Captain is the second in command, and is fully qualified to take over should anything occur that could affect the Captain’s ability to carry out his duties. I don’t doubt her being promoted to Captain at some point in the near future. We talked about her life at sea among other things, and Matt and her talked a bit about how her life at sea could potentially compare and contrast from his future live in aviation, and what her pros and cons about life as a mariner are in her opinion. We also interacted with some of the other officers such as one of the loyalty officers, who confirmed Matt’s suspicion that he had seen Super Mario around the ship. He said that he was indeed onboard this cruise (and had been on the ship for awhile) and set up around the pool deck on the smoking side as he is a smoker.

Who is Super Mario? Mario Salcedo, AKA Super Mario, is the cruiser with the most points on Royal Caribbean, meaning that he has taken the most cruises of anybody. He sets up his “office” on the pool deck where he does his work from sea. Staff Captain Suzanne said he works in some sort of financial job. Good news for me as I plan to study accounting once I finish my college generals, and plan to use the money I make to take lots of cruises! I looked for him throughout the day in hopes of introducing myself and getting a photo, but he was never in his “office” when I walked by.

Dad, being an electrical circuit engineer, asked Staff Captain Suzanne which officer she feels has the hardest job, assuming it would be the Chief Engineer as he is responsible for the operation of the systems and of course things don’t always run smoothly in any field of equipment! She said she actually felt that the Chief Officer of Safety had the hardest job, as he is the one responsible for regular safety inspections as well as the planning and logging of drills, in addition to having to fill out paperwork any time a guest or crew member gets hurt!

She also added that the bridge receives about 4-5 fire alarms per day as a result of hairdryers, shower steam, etc. As most of you may know, when a fire alarm on a cruise ship gets activated, it doesn’t sound the general alarm like you hear during the first-day drill - it’s not like in a building where you can trip a detector or activate a pull station and have bells and whistles and strobe lights going off everywhere. On a ship, all signals go directly to the bridge and the bridge only, which is equipped with a “safety command center” where they monitor all security cameras and alarms 24/7. Anytime an alarm is activated, it is first investigated, then further action is taken if necessary. It was interesting to hear about some of the operation behind the scenes. I also know that this ship (as well as all other modern cruise ships) has advanced fire suppression technology using CO2 generators called Hi-Fog, and this is what was used to put out the fire in 2015 and as a result, no major injuries or damage were sustained.

Last but not least, Matt and I introduced and posed for pictures with Captain Espen. We also saw Drew and Alex in the area (you can see Drew in the background) and I had hoped to meet them as well, but they were talking to other guests and crew members at the time and I did not want to interrupt them.

793bb5cedd8d9ee353ba7793a8b2b5f8.jpg68758f552b5dfcb597a2125958599be8.jpg0753da72631b0c64f6d3c4ea184053d7.jpg

Loved this show. One of my family members took part in the beginning but did not get selected for the final group. Remember when he told the participants that they would remember everything when they next used the bathroom? Well, when I was in the bathroom near the theater after the show had ended, and I heard in the next stall a whiny voice say "Why did he kill the horses? I don't understand why he had to kill the horses."

That’s so cool! I bet that was quite the experience! Yes, I do remember that, and he closed the show with saying “you may want to hang around the bathrooms outside of the theater for a little bit!” And the horse part was too funny, I couldn’t help but feel bad for the two whose horses he made them believe had died! Thanks for reading, and for sharing my experiences with me! That was a fun show indeed!

Looks like you enjoyed Paradise Beach! I went there last March on Navigator (report in signature) and it was really enjoyable. Those palm trees though...we don't have palm trees on the beach in FL so it was just awesome.

I wish I would have made it to the hypnotist, it looked pretty funny!!

I loved Paradise Beach! At the end of the review, I will do ratings of everything from service to excursions to cabins and more. This was our first time at Paradise Beach and I will definitely be returning. I will definitely check out your Navigator review, you do a great job and I can’t wait to read more of your Freedom review! Thanks again for following!

Snowing really hard in Minnesota right now, despite being mid-April... I could sure use some palm trees right about now!

Day 5 - Thursday, March 29

Arrival in Cozumel & heading to Paradise Beach

We were awoken this morning to Captain Espen’s morning announcement letting us know that the gangways open and giving a rundown of the day’s forecast. I wonder if he meant to page into the cabins as opposed to just in public areas as per usual. I still remember the exact dream I was having when I heard “bing bing bong” followed by someone saying “good morning ladies and gentlemen” in the dream, seconds before I awoke.

We headed down to breakfast in the MDR, where we heard an announcement that the crew would be conducting drills shortly and guests were to disregard any announcements or alarms. When we were on Liberty, they did an Oscar (man overboard) rescue drill in Roatan where they threw a dummy directly below my parents’ balcony and went out to rescue it. There are pictures of it on page 6 of my Harmony review, and that was very fun and unique to watch. All we heard this time around was an announcement for “Bravo Stage 1” which is the first stage of response for a fire emergency. We never heard any further announcements as once we finished breakfast, we headed back to the rooms to get ready, and then made our way down to Deck 1 to disembark for our day in Cozumel.

This was our 4th RCCL cruise to Cozumel, and each time we docked next to another RCCL ship. During our Allure cruise we docked next to Navigator, on our Liberty cruise we were next to... you guessed it, Freedom! On Harmony we were docked next to Rhapsody, and on Freedom we were next to Brilliance. This review has a few pictures of us docked next to Brilliance, and page 8 of my Harmony review contains a picture of Matt and I posing in front of Freedom and Liberty docked together in 2016 in addition to the photos of Harmony and Rhapsody docked together. I mentioned there how if we have any photos of Allure and Navigator together, I have no idea where they are.

We headed into town and boarded a taxi to Paradise Beach, which was not a Royal Caribbean excursion but extremely reliable and also fairly close to the port. I will also add that the taxis are perfectly safe, the security issues involved ferries to the mainland, such as our excursion last year, which the cruise line has stopped offering for that reason. Sad that that had to happen, but fortunate that nobody got hurt. We arrived at the beach club and met our “concierge” for the day whose name escapes me, but I think it was along the lines of Christiano. Very nice guy and always willing to make sure our day was enjoyable. We got settled on the beach, and I relaxed for a little bit before Dad, Matt and I headed over to rent jet skis for 30 minutes. I had my own, and the other two shared one.

In my Harmony review I described my Labadee excursion in which I operated a ski for the first time, and was extremely scared at first but got the hang of it. I felt better this time, but it had also been almost a year! I didn’t go very fast because the waves kept causing saltwater to splash up and sting my eyes, making it hard for me to navigate the ski in addition to being uncomfortable of course. I enjoyed this part, and after that we headed back to the beach where we checked out the pool before lunch.

The property overall was beautiful, it had a large beach with a floating aqua park (which I did not use, but it looked fun just like the one I’ve been on in Labadee), and a large pool with a shallow “shelf” area with partially-submerged lounge chairs, as well as restaurant and bar plus tons of soothing vegetation. There was also a cage of parrots outside of the restroom/ changing room area! Next up: lunch & Paradise Beach Part 2!

34e12fc09b2deecb063265118c6d854d.jpgf437a8722dfbdd07196cc9ebc534285d.jpgfe80ef3495a91a2e52ee59d98ca8d4ec.jpg4425b8999848555b2625d797a10f2897.jpg7a81a46399ffbd4d4865f884426b37de.jpg

It was supposed to say Friday, March 30th! We’re used to weeklong cruises, so the one less day threw me off! Sorry about that!

Day 6 - Friday, March 30

Lunch, Sexiest Man Competition & Final Afternoon at Sea

Ok, where were we. We’re currently experiencing a mid-April blizzard in Minnesota, but I just got back from the gym because no days of for anything, even weather. I need to burn those cruise calories and get my muscles back into the routine. Anyway, this weather just makes me reminisce on how tropical it was on the cruise, so let’s get back into it. We ate one last lunch in the Windjammer before heading back to the rooms to change and sunscreen for a day on the pool deck.

We first went to watch the World’s Sexiest Man Competition, which was entertaining even though I could barely see from where I was. After that I headed over to one of the cantilevered whirlpools, and a few minutes later my parents were kind enough to bring me the shake from Johnny Rockets that I was too full to drink on Day 2. I spent the entire afternoon going between pools and hot tubs, and around 5:00 I dried off for the last time and headed back to the room to shower before our final dinner onboard.

With the photos below, I thought I would add that I thought the balconies off the elevator lobbies overlooking the Royal Promenade were really cool. Mom was going to do a picture where she stood down below and took a picture of Matt and I on the balcony, but we never got around to doing it!

41fa11860b6050e4fb46965b56198ccb.jpg8d4b7ab28c07a177a9c11bf9aeb78d75.jpg3f49214c3976720fd3a46517f77b3df8.jpg

It was supposed to say Friday, March 30th! We’re used to weeklong cruises, so the one less day threw me off! Sorry about that!

And now I realize I just quoted the wrong post. Ugh... I swear this snow is messing with my mind. Anyway, I’ll be back shortly with the rest of Day 6, but not the last of the review! Stay tuned!

Day 6 - Friday, March 30

Dinner, Farewell Show & more Late-Night Adult Comedy

We enjoyed our final dinner in the Main Dining Room. As I said before, I cannot remember what I had each night, but can remember that they were all splendid. I had steak, spaghetti, lasagna, seafood cake, shrimp cocktail, cheesecake, chocolate cake, soufflés, and more. After dinner, we took one last walk around Deck 4 and visit to the helipad. The views were beautiful and to be missed, but we received a dose of reality when we started to see the Florida Keys off in the distance!

The farewell show was a production called “Once Upon a Time,” which was a spectacular performance. The time after the show was spent eating Sorrento’s one last time and just hanging out on the Promenade, where we also enjoyed specialty coffee drinks (which are covered by mine and Matt’s Royal Replenish packages) and desserts from Cafe Promenade.

After some time in the Promenade and back on the balcony enjoying one last night at sea, Dad and I went back to the Arcadia Theater at 10:30 for the final 18+ comedy show of the cruise featuring guest comedian Mike Pace. This guy was hilarious, and made relatable jokes about life on the ship such as “sure, let’s just have a family meeting in the middle of this high-traffic area!” And also remarking about the age-old issue of getting stuck walking behind slow people. Whenever I experience this in public, it feels like high school all over again! (This is me talking).

Also, some genius in the audience brought their kids to the show! He joked about it when they finally left after he started talking about specific sexual acts that I won’t go in depth about on here. As if the material he did before that point was appropriate for them! Shaking my head. Some people need a reality check! Don’t bring your kids to an adult show, you’re only harming them! And yourself, since you’ll be the one to have to explain to them what a bl... never mind, I won’t go there. Just don’t do it, ok?

After the show, it was quite late, so we called it a night and went to bed knowing we had a sad day ahead. Next up: breakfast and disembarkation, but not the end of the vacation! Stay tuned to find out exactly what I mean! I’ll be back tomorrow with Day 7!

23d4107da652138dc62027484b3e9c7b.jpgdaccbb81e42e031c596e5f9412e7ed13.jpg469a37b1a73ec5a3016f780e542cf3b7.jpg13ea20d5523ce9abb3f3d559fef1987f.jpg

Day 7 - Saturday, March 31

Breakfast & Disembarkation

We arrived back at Port Everglades Terminal 29 bright and early, and it wasn’t long before they were already paging into cabins calling numbers to disembark and trying to track people down. I’ll also add, given the topic, that I did not hear any of lost kid announcements like we have on past cruises, for example “would (insert name here) from (insert deck # here) please proceed to Guest Services.” They must have a new method of finding them, as I the only two announcements I heard all week paging people to Guest Services were on the first day before departure and on the last morning just before getting off the ship.

At this point all room keys had been deactivated, so after opening our phones and checking notifications, we packed our belongings and ate breakfast in the Windjammer before heading to the Arcadia Theater to meet up with our group for our post-cruise excursion. On the way to the front, we crossed the pool deck where I took a short video of the H2O Zone, as, being 19, I had never made it in there despite being a kid at heart and enjoying the spinning current pool during my Oasis and Allure cruises. I will also add that I had seen pictures from Freedom class ships of the main H2O Zone pool being 5’7” deep, but they fixed it during Liberty’s drydock making it 2 feel deep. It appears that, at some point, they did the same on Freedom, which I felt was much more appropriate for its intended audience. I also took a short video of Super Mario’s Office.

Our post-cruise excursion was an Everglades Boat Tour. We had originally booked this last year, but cancelled due to everyone being worn down, particularly me due to my sickness. As I’ve mentioned here and in my Harmony review, my minor cold didn’t stop me in the least from making the most of my experience, but by that time we were all just ready to go home! So we booked it again for this year, and I’ll cover it in detail in my next post.

After everyone from our group was in attendance, we were led out of the theater and off the ship with no lines. Quite an advantage of booking post-cruise excursions, as by the time we had cleared customs and began boarding our bus to the Everglades, we looked up and saw a long line of people waiting to get off the ship! Customs wasn’t any longer than usual, and before we knew it we were off for our final excursion of the cruise.

Next up: Everglades Boat Tour & Animal Park! (Sorry for photo quality - once again, video screenshots)

b2ffa3cf118ab800408f37fac11f9bd5.jpg2e44aa6d4ea679e94292c8a1aef3d449.jpg2450b3c0d5c6d34e1e8ecb7d902fd5eb.jpg9b2687fc50eb81334035e4ce09599097.jpg

Day 7 - Saturday, March 31

Everglades Animal Park & Boat Tour

We got on the bus and at first our driver, while good at the job, didn’t know where he was going. He makes an appearance later in this post. Our first stop was the animal park, where we met a strutting peacock before seeing all sorts of reptiles and other cool animals, and even got to hold a baby alligator. The park staff put tape over the mouth to prevent it from biting, but assured us that it does not harm the animal one bit.

The baby alligator kept hissing at them when they tried to tape its mouth, so you could tell it wasn’t happy! I also noticed that there were a few small turtles in its habitat, which it would probably eat if it weren’t a baby! We then saw tortoises, snakes, painted turtles much like we have here in Minnesota (and was living with the baby alligator), and also a snapping turtle, which I think was an alligator snapping turtle, only native to the southern portions of the United States. Here in Minnesota, we only have the common snapping turtle.

Now I know this is off topic, but this brings me to my interesting past regarding turtles. When I was very young, I was on a walk near a local lake with my father, who spotted a small painted turtle and picked it up. The turtle, clearly scared, kept kicking in an attempt to get my father to put it down. Being young, this traumatized me, and I was scared of all turtles until I was a bit older. Now, when I was about 6, we were visiting a family friend who lived in a rural area surrounded by woods with a pond on either side of the house, behind them, and across the street. So 4 algae-infested ponds, one of which my dad and his friend fell into when his friend took him out on his snowmobile.

Anyway, I was out on the deck on this particular day, minding my own business, when I see a large turtle walking across the backyard. I run inside screaming “there’s a big turtle out there!” And my parents, knowing I was afraid of all turtles, didn’t think too much other than to just calm me down. My dad’s friend, aware of the wildlife in the area, went outside with a broom to “investigate” said turtle. He comes back inside a few minutes later, broom in two pieces, saying “he wasn’t kidding!” Turns out it was a common snapping turtle.

In order to make me not afraid to go back into their backyard, my parents made up a lie that a neighbor found the turtle in his yard and, in fear of it harming his children, brought it to a local zoo. I believed this story until these friends moved out of that house. This was back in 2005-6, and after a few years I was no longer afraid of turtles in general but am still to this day hesitant to get too close to snappers, because they can bite a finger clean off! I am, however, fascinated by them from a distance, and currently enjoy watching the turtles sun on logs in a pond near my house. It was a bit sad, however, once seeing a bully snapper pushing all the painted turtles off the log in an attempt to claim the whole thing as his/her own! (This pond has maybe one snapper to every 5 painted turtles, and it has a TON of painted turtles. So needless to say the painted ones are the kings and queens of the pond from a numbers perspective).

Sorry for the tangent, just thought it kind of tied in, and I enjoy telling that story. Anyway, back on track. After the reptiles, we went on to see several mammals such as different kinds of large cats and a raccoon who kept pacing around the cage as if he didn’t want to be there. I couldn’t help but feel bad for the poor little guy. After that, we went back to the main entrance where we got on a boat to tour the Everglades by water. Our guide, Captain Bob, told us all sorts of interesting facts along the way, and made sure we saw all the cool sights. Turns out the Everglades technically aren’t a swamp, but a flowing river. I’m not from Florida, so I didn’t know that!

After that, it was time to board the bus and head to the airport. When we got back to the bus, it was empty, and our group was waiting outside. We assumed the driver had locked the bus to protect our belongings and was waiting to come back until the other group returned, as there were two groups going on different boats. However, after waiting for some time, a woman in our group noticed something odd through the bus window. “Is that a person?” she said. So I took it upon myself to knock on the window, and low and behold, our driver sits up, yawning and stretching, clearly embarrassed for having fallen asleep on the job!

I won’t mention his name here because he may have just been tired this particular day, so no need to defame someone who meant no harm. But needless to say, most of us had never seen this before and couldn’t help but laugh! Our final stop was FLL, meaning that our vacation had officially come to end. This, however, isn’t the end of the review! Stay tuned for more!

0c748f700b0f06b4ae891fafba1be3e2.jpg50d82d3f2038e62371df93ff91dd0185.jpg0dba92011585dd5bc073e3a2f59eb1dc.jpg31e7e570d3f0fc37517489da7326b19c.jpg

A Facebook friend said I’m a brave man for this. I told him that if there wasn’t protective tape, I wouldn’t think about getting anywhere near the baby alligator! It was quite adorable, and I very much enjoyed this personal experience.

f2e34939eece1a23f70485e84b64dec4.jpg

Matt got to hold the baby alligator too! When you finish holding the alligator, make sure to wash your hands and make your mother proud! (See what I did there?)

Notice the sign, “Keep Calm and Gator.” I loved this experience, and thought it was a great way to end the cruise! This excursion was booked through RCCL and, as mentioned, it takes you straight to the airport.

Next up: heading home and unwinding from another fantastic cruise vacation!

256a8809bc7921f16ad81b59f749db2b.jpg