Splendour of the Seas and Type I diabetes

MurfAtHome

My daughter is sailing for the first time. She is insulin dependent. She will be carring insulin and syringes. The Insulin needs to be refrigerated. She will Be in an inside 8079 on spendour of the seas. Is there a refrigerator in this cabin? does she need to notify RCL that she will have syringes?

Have her call the disability line. Do not speak to the people in reservations and request that a refrig based on her needs. They will know for sure if there is one already.

1-800-722-5472 x34492 (sometimes you have to hold as there are only 2 people that work in this department. Mon- Fri 9-5 ECT)

Also post on the disabilities board on CC there are a lot of knowledgeable people that can usually help.

I don't believe that Splendour has refrigerators in the inside cabins. We sailed on her last year and had ordered a refrigerator for our inside cabin. We found a good deal on a balcony after final payment, and that cabin DID have one in that cabin.

I am not diabetic, but have medicine that I have to inject 2X per week. I had NO trouble bringing it on the plane or on the ship. It is a packaged item. They have seen LOTS of diabetic supplies. You can always bring along a note from your doctor so that you don't have to worry about it.

Have a great cruise! She is a great ship!

My brother has Type 2 Diabetes but does take insulin shots. He made sure his medication was in the box with the pharmacy label. He carried it on and had no problems. Also, tell your cabin stewart and they will bring you one of the Sharps Boxes for needle disposal.

You will want to call in advance for the sharps box(they dont always carry that many with them on all cruises) Use the number JSR gave you. I just did this for our cruise along with frig for meds I have. Make sure you have a perscription wrote out from your doctor that says you need syringes and the insulin. So far I have not had problems with the airlines, but my sister has had one on her trip. Always bring more then you need also. Found that while in Florida they wont let you buy syringes unless you see a local doc to get an order for them.

Have her call the disability line. Do not speak to the people in reservations and request that a refrig based on her needs. They will know for sure if there is one already.

1-800-722-5472 x34492 (sometimes you have to hold as there are only 2 people that work in this department. Mon- Fri 9-5 ECT)

Also post on the disabilities board on CC there are a lot of knowledgeable people that can usually help.

Thanks for the number.

My wife is diabetic and on our first cruise on another line we had a frig but is was not very cold. We ended up using an ice bucket to store her medication.

We are booked on an RCCL cruise in May and we do not think we will have a frig in out cabin at all (larger outside on the Vision).

DH has been Type I diabetic for 37 years and is on an insulin pump. Doc told him insulin can do without refrigeration for short periods of time. The insulin in the pump isn't refrigerated and the pump holds a 3 day supply. Pharmacies might carry those insulin thermoses, made by the Aladdin Co (or whoever makes the Thermos brand). We have 2 of them. You freeze the cap that has a liquid in it to keep the compartment chilled. Once on the ship, I'd just wrap the insulin bottle in a paper towel or kleenex and put a few ice cubes right in the compartment with it. But we never bothered keeping DH insulin chilled for the 13 days we were gone on our Alaska cruisetour this past June.

Archived