Different Currencies during Travel

Afgonz

Just curious, did you end up using most of your cash? We are bringing cash to tip the tour drivers and guides and that alone is around €240, so I wonder how much to bring for a snack or souvenir?

I did quite a few of the stops on my cruise on my own, so for me it was local bus fares, small entrance fees, etc. I did spend my euros during my cruise and when I got back into Rome is when I used an ATM to get more out, but during the cruise I spent probably only €200 in actual cash, rest was credit card purchases. Also keep in mind that I’m one person when I travel, some will probably need to double the budget based on more people in their travel group.

Just wondering have others have done this...will be on a cruise which will travel to countries with 3 difference currencies, not sure if I should take a bit of each from home in the U.S. or withdraw as needed when there, or just place things on CC. Any opinions?

I would say it more depends on what you're doing. I like to have currency, you can use paper money to negotiate prices if you're in a market that you just can't do with a credit card. I find it cheaper to get currency from my bank ahead of time, but turns out you only save a few dollars compared to using an ATM. I would avoid the currency exchanges in airports and the ones you see around, that would cost you more.