Asking for Info on Tours out of Playa del Carmen, Mexico

caclays

We are on the 1/13/06 Panama Canal cruise on Regatta. One of the stops

we visit is Playa Del Carmen and O's excursion booklet offers several

tours. I'm trying to figure out which one would be the "must do" for

someone who is only going to be there once, and if I should be trying

to make arrangements to do the excursion privately instead of through O.

The first is an 11.5 hour tour to the Mayan Ruins of Chichen-Itza for

a price of $159. The second is an 8 hour tour of Xcaret for a price

of $99. The third is an 8 hour tour to Tulum for a price of $89. On

all three of these, we start the tours out of Playa Del Carmen and

then reboard the ship later in the day when it gets to Cozumel.

And does anyone know for sure that the ship is going to be able to get

close enough to Cozumel for us to reboard there? I'm a little

concerned about the damage done to Cozumel during this year's hurricanes.

Anyone out there who has visited any or all of these three sites?

We'd appreciate all input.

We went to Chicen Itza several years ago, and it was interesting, but the flight, on a rather decrepit C-47 (DC-3) was harrowing! At Chicen Itza, we landed on a dirt field, strewn with potholes, and in very poor repair. The pilot had great difficulty taxiing there, and took to the open field! My wife vowed to never again fly on a charter plane in Mexico!!

A couple of years after that, a flight carrying an excursion group from an HAL ship crashed, killing several passengers.

Haven't been to the other sites, so can't comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed and Jim, and caclays --

We have been to Tulum and Chichen Itza years ago, so we're doing the ATV Adventure on Cozumel -- sounds like fun. I think.

I just tried to book the Skywalk in CR but found it "unavailable" as well. Maybe they cut off online bookings a certain time period before embarkation.

Joe and I are so looking forward to this trip, and meeting all of you on this Regatta sailing through the Panama Canal. And leaving the drowning Pacific Northwest. :)

Ann and Joe

I've been to both Chichenitza and Xcaret...though neither on a cruise shore excursion...both were day trips during a "land" vacation in Cancun a few years back...

Personally, if you are visiting the region for what may be your ONLY trip, the one absolutely DO NOT MISS site is Chichenitza...The place is incredible...It is perhaps the largest collection of Mayan ruins in existence...in the middle of the jungle...

Xcaret made for a pleasant day, but the highlight of Xcaret is the "ride" through the underground river...incredibly cool for us...but we went in the middle of summer, when it is sweaty hot up above and the ride was cool and refreshing...But, Xcaret is more of a "man-made" tourist attraction...an "Eco-park"...Dolphins, a tortoise breeding facility, a butterfly hatchery, and aquarium and shows...an amusement park without thrill rides (except if you consider floating down underground rivers a thrill ride)...

Visit Chichenitza...It is one of the "Wonders" of the "New World"...

We visited Tulum on a ship's tour several years ago. It was interesting and the view from the top of the pyramid was beautiful. The drawback was the bingitty bangitty school bus that took us to and from. We'll be on the 2007 LA>Miami Panama Canal cruise and I'd like to visit Chichenitza, but I dread the 6 hour round trip if it's on a similar bus. Would someone who takes this tour please let us know what kind of vehicle was used for transport? I believe that Chichenitza is worth the 6 hour round trip but, as I said, I dread that bus.

Archived