Typical Royal Caribbean

jsargent34

Instead of understanding what happened and acknowledging her feelings on what was supposed to be the HAPPIEST day of her life....you tell her everything else but.

No one is flaming this person, simply presenting the reality of the situation. Hopefully others who are not experienced cruisers that might be thinking of doing the same thing will take what happened to the person who posted this story, and reconsider.

Being sympathetic won't change the facts. Probably the most common complaint on these boards, regardless of the cruise line, is the idea that the itinerary is cast in stone and there are guarantees that the ship will be at the specified location at precisely the time indicated. People who plan their shore visits and activities with that expectation inevitably end up being completely disappointed, sometimes to the extent that their vacation is ruined. The people who have responded are only trying to emphasize that point. There is nothing worse than seeing someone on board having a miserable time because they didn't know better about how itineraries and schedules really work. With new people coming onto this site every day, the point needs to be repeated frequently.

The majority of people here are trying to help. Allowing people to vent is one thing; explaining how to avoid those types of situations is the most valuable thing members of CC can do. It's all about having great vacations, and part of that is helping people set their expectations accordingly - even if that means recommending something other than a cruise.

Being new to RC boards and reading how someone who has a bad experience gets told off..it really scares me.

Instead of understanding what happened and acknowledging her feelings on what was supposed to be the HAPPIEST day of her life....you tell her everything else but.

I dont understand how if someone wants to vent about 'something' on a message board (isnt this the purpose of a message board) they get jumped all over.

Gosh...we can all listen to what is being said and make our own assumptions as to what we would do, but if the shoe was on the other foot--you may feel just like she does. I am sure ALL cruiselines have pros and cons about them and she was simply saying what happened to her on a specific line.

Stacy

I have read through all of the posts on this thread and I amazed at how you come to the conclusion that the disappointed bride has been "told off" or "jumped all over..." I don't see one response prior to yours that has even come close to that.

Anyone who vents on this board needs to understand that everyone reading it has a button on their screen that allows them to reply with their thoughts and nowhere in the board rules is there a requirement to validate the complaint. Every response to this girls' venting was phrased politely and calmly in my opinion.

I don't necessarily agree that the "purpose"of a message board is to vent; I believe it exists to provide a forum for the exchange of valuable information. People who cannot handle a dissenting opinion should just vent in private to people who see things exactly the way they do.

My daughter was married on Majesty of the Seas while it was in port in Miami. Some of the wedding guests boarded the ship for the wedding and then departed the ship late in the afternoon about an hour before we set sail. Have you considered moving the wedding to Ft. Lauderdale? I remember my daughter considering getting married at one of the ports, and now I am so glad she didn't make that choice.

I am very surprised about the change in itinerary at this late date. Too bad RCCL didn't do this before final payment. Glad to hear you got a refund for the wedding. I loved our recent cruise on Jewel of the Seas but was very disappointed with our cruise on Legend of the Seas in March. After writing and emailing customer service, all I got was a form letter in the mail asking us to complete a computer survey. I had requested an onboard credit for our next cruise to have dinner in Chops or Portofinos since we couldn't eat the food on Legend because it was so salty and overcooked--not to mention the incompetent waiter.

We do have another RCCL cruise booked for October 2006, but DH is still not happy with them and would always choose another cruiseline when given a choice. We already have other cruises booked on Carnival and Norwegian because of the Customer Service problem with RCCL. I remember filling in a form on a Carnival cruise suggesting they offer cookies at the dinner buffet and received a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries with a thank you note. Couldn't even get a dinner coupon for Chops or Portofinos after ten days of terrible food on Legend. Yes, I agree with you that RCCL does have a very poor customer service department.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Macgirl,

Sorry to hear about your wedding plans. I'll be sailing out tomorrow with you and will gladly buy you and your soon to be husband a cocktail!

My two experiences with Rccl customer service have been great. Both times i called with problems I was patient and courteous to the Rep and last time they sent 2 - 250.00 cruise vouchers....not to shabby!

Two comments:

1) Having just gotten married for the second time, I know wedding plans are very difficult to organize and extremely "fluid" even when on dry land. Don't think I would ever try to schedule something as important as my wedding based on the schedule set by others (ie. we all know cruiselines change ports all the time based on weather, fuel, political issues, etc.)

2) It must just be me but everytime I have had to deal with RC service, while they might not always be as quick to respond as I would like, they have always been honest, worked with me and treated me fairly.

Mark

Sorry about your wedding but that the chance everyone takes when getting married anywhere. Especially when you leave the country. RCCL has the right to change itenarary at any time.

We all have gotten upset for some reason with a cruiseline or travel company. No one is perfect. I hope you get over it. I know every bride wants their wedding to perfect but think all thigs happen for a reason. Later you will look back and figure out the reason. It will come to light. Maybe there is something bigger and better for you later on.

Whenever you get married I wish you the best.

StacyinPa,

Welcome to the boards, its a great source of information. ONE BIG downfall is there is a band of characters on here who consistantly love playing devils advocate and they enjoy being the first to tell you what an idiot you are. The longer you are on the boards the more you will catch on to who "they" are.

Sarge I feel there is something to your story, not sure what it is but I am with you that there is more to the story. As for the poster who lost out on the wedding plans, sorry I can only imagine what a nightmare that is. Try to enjoy the cruise though, who knows it may turn out to be a blessing as it will rain all day in Key West that day.

Archived