First time cruising to Cuba, and have a few questions! (Thanks in advance)

Endlesssummer87

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are traveling to Nassau and Havana on Royal Caribbean this summer and had a few questions. This is only our second ever cruise.

1. Our plan is to purchase a private shore excursion (classic car, driven by a local) that claims to meet the US people to people requirements. (Oldcartours.com) Would our confirmation email from them be enough to be allowed off the ship? I'm not so much worried about the US customs coming back, I'm just worried about a cruise employee not allowing us to disembark.

2. We arrive in the afternoon one day and depart the evening the next day, but only want to do one shore excursion. Is it possible to get off the ship on the first day, sight-see on our own, and then get off again the next day to do a formal shore excursion? We were thinking: Ask them not to stamp our passport the first day, and ask them to stamp it the next day. (We do want a Cuban stamp for bragging rights!)

3. If we get off the ship two days in a row, do we have to convert our money twice? I'm pretty sure taking Cuban pesos "out of Cuba" is illegal, but what if we intend to just use them the next day?

4. My husband takes an anxiety medication (ativan), which is legally prescribed, however he's nervous about getting in trouble in Cuba for them. (I highly assume it's not a big deal as they're in their original container.) He wants to be extra safe and just leave them on the ship. Do Cuban customs regularly inspect the ship decks/rooms or is our only contact with them just getting on/off the ship?

Thank you SO MUCH and I apologize if any of these questions are redundant.

Question One you can get off an don all you want they do not even ask what you are doing when you disembark

Two they will stamp when you get off first time and that is only time

Three No Just remember the money exchanges close at 8/.00 pm at the pier

Four If in original bottle you can take them off the ship and no they do not check rooms.

You are thinking into this too much .

1. Our plan is to purchase a private shore excursion (classic car, driven by a local) that claims to meet the US people to people requirements. (Oldcartours.com) Would our confirmation email from them be enough to be allowed off the ship? I'm not so much worried about the US customs coming back, I'm just worried about a cruise employee not allowing us to disembark.

No one on the ship knows what you're planning to do, nor do they care. You are on your own to go have fun! No secret police or monitors....it's just like getting off at any other port except you go through their immigration and security check.

2. We arrive in the afternoon one day and depart the evening the next day, but only want to do one shore excursion. Is it possible to get off the ship on the first day, sight-see on our own, and then get off again the next day to do a formal shore excursion? We were thinking: Ask them not to stamp our passport the first day, and ask them to stamp it the next day. (We do want a Cuban stamp for bragging rights!)

The first time you get off ship, you'll show your passport and visa (they'll stamp your passport at this time, whether you like it or not), you'll walk through an airport-like security machine, stop at the bank (at the far end of the terminal) to exchange your money, then go down the long stairs to exit the terminal. You can get on and off the ship as many times as you like. No one is there to stop you or question you.

3. If we get off the ship two days in a row, do we have to convert our money twice? I'm pretty sure taking Cuban pesos "out of Cuba" is illegal, but what if we intend to just use them the next day?

We got all the money we needed the first time off the ship, but if you need more then you can exchange more later. You're not supposed to take any CUC's out of the country, but I forgot that I had some in the bottom of my purse....nice souvenir! But it's worthless anywhere except Cuba.

4. My husband takes an anxiety medication (ativan), which is legally prescribed, however he's nervous about getting in trouble in Cuba for them. (I highly assume it's not a big deal as they're in their original container.) He wants to be extra safe and just leave them on the ship. Do Cuban customs regularly inspect the ship decks/rooms or is our only contact with them just getting on/off the ship?

Personally, I would NOT take any Ativans off the ship....I've read that the Cubans are VERY strict about drug possession. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't take them into any foreign country. No Cuban official will go into your ship cabin, though. I think your husband is right and he should leave them in your cabin.

Personally, I would NOT take any Ativans off the ship....I've read that the Cubans are VERY strict about drug possession. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't take them into any foreign country. No Cuban official will go into your ship cabin, though. I think your husband is right and he should leave them in your cabin.

What happens if your husband as an anxiety or panic attack somewhere not close to the ship . I have taken a few in the past for ptsd . As you know you only need one. Yes they are strict but not prescription drugs. My wife always has one in her purse just in case. Have not used one in years . When she went thru the scanner and they scanned her purse nothing was said .

Personaly I would take the prescription container with a couple of pills. Leave the rest in the safe.

Problems would arise if you had a couple of pills in a baggie in your wifes purse.