Getting to Crystal Caves.

SDyoungcruiser31

Hello all,

I am booked for a cruise that is stopping in Grand Cayman and was interested in the Crystal Caves. However, after looking into it the cost for the excursion is 110 pp but it seems that they caves are within a short drive and the tour is pretty short. With the total trip being less than 4 hours. The wife and I tend to get up pretty early so getting back to the ship in time shouldn't be an issue. Few questions:

1) Has anyone done this excursion?

2) Was it worth it?

3) Has anyone made the trip to the caves without going through Carnival?

Are there any other excursions that we should consider?

Thanks in advance

The drive to the caves from the port is about 35 minutes each way.

You could book a rental car and drive there yourself, getting tickets online in advance to make sure they were available. Not sure if that's cheaper, so you'd have to do the math based on the size of your group.

The tour tickets look to be around 40 each and a car can easily be rented for under 50 dollars. My thought is that we can do the tour and then go explore the rest of the island vs being shipped back to the boat and then trying to squeeze in another activity.

I've been on 4 cruises but have always done the excursions through the cruise ship. This seemed like a great opportunity to do something without going through the ship due to the small size of the island.

The tour tickets look to be around 40 each and a car can easily be rented for under 50 dollars. My thought is that we can do the tour and then go explore the rest of the island vs being shipped back to the boat and then trying to squeeze in another activity.

I've been on 4 cruises but have always done the excursions through the cruise ship. This seemed like a great opportunity to do something without going through the ship due to the small size of the island.

While rental will be under $50, factor in gas, insurance and the $20 mandatory license fee and you are at about $85 for a mid-size. Still could be cheaper than the $110 per person.

We rented a car two years ago and drove to Rum Point. Worked out very well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

Me and my husband did the Cayman Crystal Caves tour last year for our Honeymoon Cruise. It was great, I really love caves, and it was a perfect excursion. I think it's extremely overpriced from Carnival however, and the only reason we were even able to do it, was because we had received a carnival gift card for our honeymoon. I believe the tour is fairly cheap if you go directly to them. The drive is about 40 minutes, it's a pretty drive. We got lots of history about Grand Cayman on the drive there and back. I don't know the cost for a taxi or rental to drive there yourselves. FWIW, if you enjoy caves/caverns and have the money, it's worth it. It has been my favorite excursion that I've ever been on. I wish it was a bit cheaper, we're going back to Grand Cayman this October, and I'd love to visit again, but not without a gift card ;-)