Shopping in St.Thomas - Any good deals?

TorontoGamblers

Alcohol, jewerly including watches, some electronics (ie. Cameras but not computers), linens, crystal... Your best bet if you are in the market for something in particular is to see how much it is in your home town and online so you have something to compare the prices to. Bargaining at some jewerly stores in St. Thomas is common, so keep that in mind.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Alcohol, jewerly including watches, some electronics (ie. Cameras but not computers), linens, crystal... Your best bet if you are in the market for something in particular is to see how much it is in your home town and online so you have something to compare the prices to. Bargaining at some jewerly stores in St. Thomas is common, so keep that in mind.

--Islander

www.*****

Has anyone who has shopped and purchased in St. Thomas ever mailed their purchases back home? If so, was there any problems and how did you do it? DO you leave it up to the place where you shopped to wrap and mail?

Has anyone who has shopped and purchased in St. Thomas ever mailed their purchases back home? If so, was there any problems and how did you do it? DO you leave it up to the place where you shopped to wrap and mail?

Purchased some fine art last year. Had it shipped home, no problem at all.

I bought a Breitling watch in St. Thomas and had to have it shipped home because the band had to be expanded and there wasn't enough time before the ship left. It arrived at my home about 3 days after we got home. If you elect to ship something home, be sure and pay for the purchase with your credit card. That way, if it doesn't show up, you can contact your credit card company and cancel the charge. We've made many, many purchases in Charlotte Amalie over the years and we have never been disappointed. And as one poster said, many of the merchants will dicker with you. They'll still make their profit, but you'll end up paying much less. We dickered on a diamond tennis bracelet my wife wanted. The price on the bracelet was $2500 and 45 minutes later, we walked out of the store with it, having ended up paying $900 for it. It appraised for almost $3000 back home.

We were in St. Thomas about a year ago and went CRAZY in Mr. Tablecloth. not to be confused with the one in St Maartin, becuase that is NOT even a fair comparison.

ANway Mr. Tablecloth in St. Thomas was fantastic, it's on the main shopping street, and was event included in the "reccomended shopping" maps given out by our ship.

the dutch linins were an excellent price and the owners were very friendly. Origionally from Toronto (go leafs go) the owners enjoyed talking to us and hearing what was new in the "great white north". Down to earth people, excellent prices and gifts that were easy to pack!

We found laundry bags and placemats and many other fantastic things on sale. There was also a small shop in the back were we bought cold drinks and chocolate bars to keep our energy up for the rest of the day.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought a Breitling watch in St. Thomas and had to have it shipped home because the band had to be expanded and there wasn't enough time before the ship left. It arrived at my home about 3 days after we got home. If you elect to ship something home, be sure and pay for the purchase with your credit card. That way, if it doesn't show up, you can contact your credit card company and cancel the charge. We've made many, many purchases in Charlotte Amalie over the years and we have never been disappointed. And as one poster said, many of the merchants will dicker with you. They'll still make their profit, but you'll end up paying much less. We dickered on a diamond tennis bracelet my wife wanted. The price on the bracelet was $2500 and 45 minutes later, we walked out of the store with it, having ended up paying $900 for it. It appraised for almost $3000 back home.

Do you remember the name of the store that gave you such a great discount?:o

I bought a Breitling watch in St. Thomas and had to have it shipped home because the band had to be expanded and there wasn't enough time before the ship left.

Rick if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the watch. My husaband wants one. I hope we can get a good price for one. Where did you buy it from:rolleyes:

Archived