Shore Excursions Petra/Safaga

geric26

I plan on doing a cruise in later 2019, but still unsure if I want to do Silversea Spirit vs Crystal Esprit vs Seabourn. The Esprit cruise allows seeing the pyramid--but Sprit goes to the Valley of the Kings. If anyone here has been both to the Valley of the Kings and the Pyramids, I am interested in hearing what they think of itinerary's that include one but not the other.

In my opinion the PYRAMIDS and Valley of the Kings are the highlights and must see on any trip to Egypt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Misseli We're doing Silver Shadow April 2019, Dubia to Athens. We've done Petra before so will take the ship tour to get there and then do our own thing when we get there. How much were they charging for the Petra tour? and what was the cost comparison for Safaga between the ship and the tour you did privately. there will be 5 of us so a private tour might be the way to go if they guarantee return to the ship in time. Interested to hear any recommendations. We want to Do Luxor, valley of the Kings, as much as possible. Hopefully we'll get there this time, last time with Seabourn 6 years ago (when there was a war on!) Safaga didn't happen :-( although One group did leave the ship and rejoin 3 days later having done a full Nile Cruise! Thanks for any suggestions Hilary

Hi Hilary

I don't recall the exact price of a private tour to Safari (Valley of the Kings etc) however I do remember the difference in price was over $100 USD per person. They pick you up right at the cruise ship in a van which would accommodate your group of 5. We were in port from 0800 to 2200 hours, our tour left approx. 0900 and returned approx. 8 p.m. Upon leaving the port the tour guide registers you with the tourist police who contact the tour guide a couple of times by phone to make sure everything is alright and there are a few check points along the way also. In all honesty, I never felt there was any reason to be concerned about our safety. It's an extra precaution as Egypt is trying to bring back the tourist industry. Along the way the tour guide is providing you with the history of what you will see. It is a long day, with a drive of 3 hours each way, we went to the Valley of the Kings, Karnak Temple, Queen Hatseptshut Temple and a few other places. We were on the Silver Spirit and had the ship pack a lunch and snacks for us for the long trip, recommend you do that. I can't say enough about Rammaside tour, the driver, tour guide were excellent and they are very cognizant of getting their guests back to the ship on time.

In my opinion the PYRAMIDS and Valley of the Kings are the highlights and must see on any trip to Egypt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I had to choose between the two I would say Valley of the Kings, however if you can see both that would be ideal.

I agree with misselli! Visits were at different times...Pyramids in 2008 and Valley of the Kings in 2016 which may have influenced the enjoyment of each. Crowds were definitely smaller in 2016. However, I found there was more to see with the Valley of the Kings and Luxor experience.

Hi Hilary

I don't recall the exact price of a private tour to Safari (Valley of the Kings etc) however I do remember the difference in price was over $100 USD per person. They pick you up right at the cruise ship in a van which would accommodate your group of 5. We were in port from 0800 to 2200 hours, our tour left approx. 0900 and returned approx. 8 p.m. Upon leaving the port the tour guide registers you with the tourist police who contact the tour guide a couple of times by phone to make sure everything is alright and there are a few check points along the way also. In all honesty, I never felt there was any reason to be concerned about our safety. It's an extra precaution as Egypt is trying to bring back the tourist industry. Along the way the tour guide is providing you with the history of what you will see. It is a long day, with a drive of 3 hours each way, we went to the Valley of the Kings, Karnak Temple, Queen Hatseptshut Temple and a few other places. We were on the Silver Spirit and had the ship pack a lunch and snacks for us for the long trip, recommend you do that. I can't say enough about Rammaside tour, the driver, tour guide were excellent and they are very cognizant of getting their guests back to the ship on time.

Hi Misseli - Thank you so much for your suggestions, much appreciated! I'm so excited by this trip!