Galaxy Christmas Cruise 12/17/2005

bostom

One of the top three cruises we've taken (of 12) and one that far exceeded my expectations.

From start to finish, I was impressed by the seamless operation of the staff and crew, the level of service, the quality of the entertainment and food, the behavior of the kids (and there were lots of kids...) as well as the adults, and the spotless condition of the ship.

There were a few negatives, so few - and so minor - as to have no effect on our perceptions. Yes, there are fogged-up windows in the lounge. It's not pretty, and it should be fixed, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The non-slip decking is worn in a few spots. Not enough, though, to put anyone's safety at risk. There was stain on the sink (looked like either enamel or acrylic worn away) but it didn't ruin our trip. The cruise director, Shawn Cavanah, was a bit of a blowhard on stage - but I mean it in a nice way: I'm pretty certain he did it because he thought it was expected of him. I guess we're just not carny-sideshow-barker fans. The drink prices seemed higher than I recall, and the number of servers so numerous, as to make me think they're relying on the income from beverage sales more than before. Solution? drink less, which is often good advice. The captain doesn't smile much, and while that would be nice, he's paid to run the ship safely. He did so. No complaints there.

But the good so overwhelmingly outweighed the (little bit of) bad, and the value for money, at least by buying this cruise early, was so great, that I'm reassured our next two Celebrity cruises will be fine. If anything, the concern now is "can they measure up?"

We had no problems at embarkation, unlike the folks who were getting off on the 17th as they appeared to be waiting for a long time to get away from the terminal. We, on the other hand, had been staying in Galveston pre-cruise at the Tremont House (great hotel, BTW; about the only one from what we heard from others who stayed at the Galvez) so had no trouble dropping the bags, returning the rental car to Enterprise who drove us back to the pier, and boarded about 11:30 am. We dropped our bags in the cabin, met the steward who said he wasn't quite finished readying the room, and had the buffet lunch before returning to find our bags there. By 4 pm we were completely settled in (no small task with four large suitcases and four small ones) and napped before dinner.

The first night had us at a table for 12 which, on Celebrity, is a rectangular affair that - if left to your own devices - can be just too big. With some passengers missing, it wasn't very lively. We changed to a table nearby for six and found ourselves with two of the best waiters (Allan A, head waiter and Huzeini, his assistant and as anyone who was on the trip will tell you, the happiest man alive.) They - and our wine steward whose name I'm blanking on - provided perhaps the best service we've ever had at sea. Everything was right, everything was on time, nothing was too much trouble, our names were remembered the next time we sat down, and every dinner was a delight.

We eat in the dining room whenever we can. I think we had breakfast in the Lido (Oasis) once and lunch there twice. The food (except, oddly enough, for the cookies: something that's easy to make and they weren't that good) was beautifully displayed, the standards of cleanliness and service there topnotch, tables were always available: in short, very nice but we'd rather be waited on. Not only that, but shared tables with open seating gives you an opportunity to meet people you might otherwise not. The service and food were wonderful, my only - very minor - complaint is that on a 12 day cruise the breakfast offerings could vary a bit more. Still, from someone whose usual breakfast is a cup of coffee, that's not a big gripe.

A couple of things that have to be mentioned about casual dining. The alternative dining venue (a portion of the Oasis, dressed up at night, $2 gratuity suggested, casual attire) looked great. We never ate there as dinner in the Orion (main) dining room was so enjoyable, but friends who did said it too was very good. Teatime (4-5 pm) had great nibbles, necessary when dinner doesn't begin until about 8:45 pm; the sushi bar (6-9 or so) was also great and while the pizza wasn't to my liking, the all-day casual burgers and hot dogs got good reviews, as did a made-to-order pasta station. You'd be hard put (as on any cruise) to go hungry but it was hard to find much of anything we didn't like.

The cabin (9 Deck, grade four outside, starboard and just forward the "A" stairwell) was extraordinarily well laid out and far more spacious in terms of use that 172 sq ft might indicate. As our previous two Celebrity cruises had been in a Sky Suite on MERCURY (50% or so larger) and a Celebrity suite on CONSTELLATION (300% larger), the room size was concern but it proved perfectly comfortable with room for everything: remember, eight bags worth of stuff but all neatly stowed. Our cabin steward, Anthony, and his assistant Vincent, both provided exemplary cabin service: they were both quick and invisible, and the cabin and bathroom was always spotless.

The food at dinner in the Orion restaurant was great. Meats - unless you're specific - tend to be overcooked in a cruise ship dining room because of the sheer time it takes to get to you from the kitchen. I asked for medium rare steak, roast beef, veal chops, and lamb and always got it. Entrées were plated attractively, salads offered and dressed properly, soups hot or cold as ordered, and appetizers uniformly appetizing. Helpings of more than one item, be it appetizer, entrée, or dessert, was always available with a smile. Sorbets - mid meal, as a palate cleanser - were offered about half the time.

The entertainment, both lecturers (Richard Aschenbrand from "Antiques Roadshow"; sex guru Dr. Ruth Westheimer; John Anderson, director of El Paso's Gene Roddenberry Planetarium) and entertainers (a concert pianist, magician, aerialists, xylophone virtuoso, juggler) as well as the singers and dancers were all first rate. John Anderson, in particular, did a terrific job translating astronomy, chemistry, and physics into English for a non-scientific audience. f you ever see his name on the roster of a ship you're on, you'll kick yourself if you miss his presentations: he's that good. The production shows, in particular, were better than you'd see in Las Vegas. Every single singer and dancer put their all into the shows and it showed. They were the best we've ever seen on a ship.

Likewise I've nothing but praise for the cruise staff, in particular Melanie (Captain's Club Hostess) and Cher (Cruise staff) but every member of the staff we met went out of his or her way to make us feel welcomed onboard and seemed sincerely interested in seeing to it that we were enjoying ourselves.

With the exception of Puerto Limon, we'd been to all the ports before. In order: Cozumel is still a mess and while they are going to extraordinary lengths to clean things up, the damage from the hurricane was just as brutal in its way as Katrina was New Orleans. It'll be a while before it looks like it used to. That said, it never looked like much to us anyway. The tours were all up and running, so if that's your thing, rest assured that at least is as before.

Costa Maya is a private island that isn't an island and where everything costs you something. It's essentially a staging area for tours. There's a web café and a marketplace. And places to drink and but jewelry. What a surprise! There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, by the way, but unless you want a picture of yourselves next to a mock Mayan temple and a mock Mayan in costume; well, there's just not that much to do.

Puerto Limon is, as the guide said, straight out of Somerset Maugham or Grahame Green novel: the sleepy little port that time seems to have passed by. There are sloths in the trees in the park, the waves break at one end of the harborside "strip", the obligatory marketplace is set up for your shopping enjoyment. We took the banana train tour: about a 20 mile or so train ride along the beach and through the jungles to a banana plantation and a bus ride back. The train ride goes through some pretty scenery, there are monkeys in the trees, and the beaches at the end are both vast and unspoiled. It's a pretty low effort and interesting way to learn a bit about the surrounding area and see how people live.

Having been through the Panama Canal before, ours wasn't the awesome experience first-timers understandably enjoy but suffice to say, you can't help but marvel at the energy, determination and ingenuity it took almost a century ago to build the canal. Giving it back to Panama is one of the best things the US could have done: the tolls provide much-needed revenue for what is still a poor country, the skills and jobs for Panamanians created grow the country's middle class, and the political stability the handover of the canal created makes Panama a far better friend and neighbor to the US than had we held onto it "in perpetuity" as the original treaty provided.

We took the "Ocean to Ocean Railcar" tour and enjoyed that immensely as well. We were fortunate to have the insights of an English tour guide named Julian, a Yorkshireman transplanted to Panama from the UK about 5 years ago to train Panamanians for tourism jobs. He thinks it's paradise and given the sums he was quoting for a nice lifestyle at a low cost, he's a good salesman for anyone considering Panama as a possible retirement spot. (There are approximately 160,000 Americans living in Panama, most retired.) The train is staffed by extraordinarily good looking and pleasant young ladies in form-fitting conductor's uniforms: think of "Hooters" running a railroad. They put on a Christmas show for us like none we've seen before.

We did not get off the ship in Grand Cayman. Ground swells prevented the ship from anchoring near Georgetown and GALAXY, along with three other ships, used a smaller and less-well-staffed pier on the south side of the island. As a result a lot of morning tours were canceled and the need for tenders to go back and forth more slowly than is usually the case slowed down the process considerably. Nothing that could be helped, but it did crimp some plans.

We far and away enjoyed the sea days the most. The thought of nothing - absolutely nothing - being required of us for a twenty four hour period beyond showing up for dinner at 8:30 is bliss. I read six books, took a lot of naps, went to lectures when they appealed to us, ate and drank far more than we would have at home, and just plain relaxed. Which would be great at any time of the year, but to be able to do so at Christmastime, when the rest of the world is consumed by the demands of the holidays, was great. It was the first holiday cruise we've taken but won't be the last.

So, to Tina and Keith, Gernot and Alfredo, Rita and Tom, Sue and Ed, Franz and Melissa, Barry, and everyone else who was lucky enough to have spent such a wonderful holiday: Happy New Year!

Any questions? Let me know.

Hey! Great review! We where on the same cruise as you guys and we had a wonderful time as well! I read that you guys had Huzeini. What a fun guy. If you had early seating you probably saw us always go talk to him over the stair case in the dining room.

Well thanks for the review!

-Charlene

bostom,

Wonderful review! Lauren and I loved this cruise--and your comments were right on. What a happy crew and upbeat group of passengers; the food was awesome in the dining room; man, do I miss that waffle station for breakfast:p ! Kids and teenagers were well behaved--that kids program seemed to be top notch. You are right about Shawn Cavenah--seems like a smart guy, just a little like a caricature of a CD--in a positive way.

Agree with you about Melanie and Cher--they were great!

Enjoy!

Kel

We also enjoyed this cruise. Yes, Shawn(the CD) always sounded like a DJ on radio. We kept wondering, "Does he talk like this ALL the time?"

The lectures by John Anderson were fantastic--his explanations of Red Giants and White Dwarf stars plus all the constellations were great!

The crew and the wonderful level of service they supply made this a great cruise.

Bostom, I was wondering if you were in the dome car or a regular coach on the Panama train ride? Do you think there is a lot of difference in the quality of the ride? One post says that the domed car passengers were less crowded on the bus part of the excursion. Did you find that to be true? Thanks for your great detailed review. We'll be on the Galaxy in March!

Bostom, I was wondering if you were in the dome car or a regular coach on the Panama train ride? Do you think there is a lot of difference in the quality of the ride? One post says that the domed car passengers were less crowded on the bus part of the excursion. Did you find that to be true? Thanks for your great detailed review. We'll be on the Galaxy in March!

Maybe they were trying to make us feel better but we were told the dome car was hot and crowded. The cars themselves are restored 1950's US railroad dining cars. As they ran almost the full length of the car (no kitchen) I'm guessing they were once part of the two-car diner setups some railroads (BN? Santa Fe?) used back them. Unless, of course, it was a gut rehab down to the bare walls.

Meaning, I guess, that they still have tables in sufficient number for the number of passengers. Looking forward, the right-hand side has (big) banquettes seating four, and the left has tables for two. Everyone seemed to have sorted themselves happily into groups.

My experience (very limited) in dome cars in Canada and on the old California Zephyr was that they are neccesarily a little more crowded as the dome curves inward and the desire to get as many seats as possible up there makes the room for each one less than in a regular coach. Which is not to say it's like row 33 on a 757: there's still room to move but the dining cars were probably more spacious. Ours, anyway, was also quite comfortable with good a/c although it was not nearly as hot or humid as it had been the last time we were in Panama.

Each car also has an open observation area at the rear where you can stand "outdoors" if not exactly between cars.

We wanted to get tickets int he dome car but they were sold out when we booked. I don't think we missed anything by sitting "downstairs" as it were, and I know we saved $60.

Thanks for the detailed description of the train ride. It sounds like it is a great excursion whichever car you ride in!

What kind of sea conditions did you experience on your trip? Was it rough or mostly smooth?

Also, do you (or anyone else) know if there is always an astronomy expert or other lecturers onboard the Galaxy?

Thanks, Marie213.

Thanks for the detailed description of the train ride. It sounds like it is a great excursion whichever car you ride in!

What kind of sea conditions did you experience on your trip? Was it rough or mostly smooth?

Also, do you (or anyone else) know if there is always an astronomy expert or other lecturers onboard the Galaxy?

Thanks, Marie213.

Marie

The sea was somewhat rough leaving from and then the day before returning to Galveston. We were high up and forward (supposedly a bad spot) but were not bothered by the motion. Tablemates who were a deck lower and midships said they weren't bothered by it at all. Which is a good thing because they're from an inland state (so not much experience on the water at all) and it was their first cruise (so none on a cruise ship).

To be honest, GALAXY rides very well, or at least did to the extent we were buffeted by wind and water. We have been on both Cunard Queens and frankly the new QM2 doesn't ride as well, although in the Caribbean I think that can be attributed to her sheer bulk: when the wind hits her sideways, you can feel it.

I should add that - as I grew up in a beach town with a boat since I was about 7 years old - I love rough weather and look for it on a ship. Sadly (for me, anyway; others will differ) I've never really been out on a large ship in enough weather to feel challenged by it.

I have no idea about the mix of lecturers on the ship or whether there will be an astronomer on your cruise. It is only the third time between quite a few lines I've encountered one, the others being on longish cruises on Cunard's old CARONIA and HAL's AMSTERDAM. The Queen Mary 2 has a "planeterium" dome but on our cruise only IMAX-style movies were shown there. John Anderson was far better.

My DH loves the rough weather, too, Bostom. I'm fine as long as I take meclizine! We had some very rough seas on the Royal Princess crossing the North Sea from Southampton to Bergen. For two days it was gale force 8. Our cabin was low midship and it still definitely rocked us to sleep. We will be high and aft on the Galaxy. But I think that since I survived that trip without getting sick, I'll be able to be up on a top deck for the Galaxy.

We will hope for John Anderson, too!

Thanks again for all your information. Researching the cruise is half of the fun for me.

Marie

Hey! Great review! We where on the same cruise as you guys and we had a wonderful time as well! I read that you guys had Huzeini. What a fun guy. If you had early seating you probably saw us always go talk to him over the stair case in the dining room.

Well thanks for the review!

-Charlene

Indeed, a very good review. Did you ever figure out where Huzeini get ALL OF THAT ENERGY, even first thing in the morning??? What a character! We'd always walk down to the buffet from the 12 aft stairway, and he'd always be there as the official greeter! This one was typical (with another Charline) apart from the new attire for the Mexican lunch buffet!

huzeini.jpg.c79cb8e4f7b67857c11d255ff2fbafcd.jpg

NO! What was funny is one day my father in law ran up behind him and picked him up! He is so little that you could do that. It was hilarious!

Here is a picture of us with him.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/531974992/532008330uQBszp

One of him.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/531974992/532020633azZFup

Before doubling his - and the waiter's - tips, our table asked him where he got both the enthusiasm and the energy to do as he did. He said his life was about making people happy and that doing so made him happy.

We have pictures of him from the Baked Alaska parade with the blinking antlers (second seating) as well as with all of us after dinner AND while he was being body-surfed on stage during the mass photo-op one morning. Made us think he's just as popular with the crew as he is with the passengers. He also did magic tricks for us after dinner, as did Allan, and the two of 'em did things like turning your napkin into binoculars and then boxer shorts. He is truly one of the best memories I have of the trip: he's genuine and not doing it for the money.

We thought somebody (the South African guy who's the maitre 'd?) must have really liked us to give us one of their tables. I know everyone who is happy with their waiter/s thinks that he or she is the best. Sometimes it's clear that the assistant is better than the head waiter. This time the two of them were just flawless.

I should also mention that Goren, the assistant maitre 'd assigned to our part of the dining room, was the only one we've encountered on Celebrity who (publicly, anyway) earned his keep. I'm sure much of what they do is behind the scenes, but apart from all of 'em on Cunard and one on Crystal, no one we've seen worked as closely with both servers and diners to assure perfect service.

I can add that, had we stayed at the larger table we were seated at the first night, we would have had Dr. Ruth as a tablemate. She showed up at dinner the second night. I'm sure she's a nice person (everyone who spoke to her said so, even as a lot of 'em said they couldn't understand a word she said...the difference, I guess, between a New York/Mitteleuropa accent and one from Texas) as were all the others there but we didn't regret it for a minute: our new tablemates and our waitstaff made it a net gain.

I'm back in the office catching up - it's still a holiday here in Massachusetts - and we don't really open again until Tuesday morning. I have plenty to do but you can tell my mind is elsewhere...

Hey

Did anyone see Huzeini get lifted up when they brought all 850 crew on the stage? That was funny also! What a popular guy!

Our waiter advised that Huzeini had received something on the order of 125 SPECIFIC mentions on comment cards during the Thanksgiving cruise. Pretty amazing since he's not one to even ask for them. He definitely makes an impression!

Hi guys! Back to school tomorrow. (sigh....) I must totally agree, this was a wonderful cruise. I was going to write a review as well, but you guys have done a great job. I will add my vote for Celebrity Ambassdor to Huzeini. He was such a hoot. We always went out of our way to meet him in the morning. I was talking to him at lunch when he heard the Macarana being played and raced out in his Italian outfit to join (lead) the fun. I still chuckle then I think of it. I must admit I also gave him honorable mention on the card.:D

I am still puzzled by that fiasco of getting off the ship. That was the ugliest disembark I have ever seen. Qtmouser thinks that when the dogs were brought on board to check the luggage, they made a hit(s). This would have halted any attempt to remove the luggage to the dock. The last cart did not even hit the dock until 9AM. If this was the reason, I hope they hung the knuckle heads who did it from a really high rafter. By the time I got off the ship, I would gladly have found a ladder to aid the officials.:rolleyes:

Sigh......... this cruise will not be there next year. :mad: How ever will I go back to real life?

Thanks for the review and memories of a lovely cruise. I do have to disagree with you on one point, however. Darling as Huzeini is, the BEST waitstaff were with us -- Tris and Paula. Funny how everyone thinks their waiters were the best -- the level of service for dining is impressive.

For those reading our reviews who are planning this cruise soon, do consider doing a shore excursion at Cozumel that takes you straight to the mainland and bypasses the island altogether. We ferried from the ship to Playa del Carmen before being transferred to Puerto Aventuras for the Dolphin Swim. Others on our ferry also had gone on mainland excursions. I know Coz needs business -- but for those who need more excitement and port stops during this very sea-day intensive cruise, this is an option.

Something not mentioned yet -- the acupuncturist. I didn't use her -- but I was poised and ready. Another CC-er brought her son who was wretching during our first sea day. Instant relief! That is quite a recommendation.

Panama - seeing this wonder was exciting. Our most informative guide, also a born and raised Panamanian, did not paint a rose-colored picture for her country. The cruise director did report that those venturing out extensively could expect to be mugged. Our guide discussed the rampant violence in the cities. Sticking to the ship-offered tours or staying onboard and visiting just the pier shops and flea-market is best, I do believe.

We were on the 10/31/2005 cruise to the Panama Canal. I wondered if I would ever read where others commented about Huzeini after our return. I don't know what they pay him, but he should be making slightly less than the captain. A major portion of my comments about the cruise were about Huzeini. I mentioned that when I think back to this curise ten yers from now he will be one of my first memories.

The rest of the cruise was just as good. We were sorry to miss Cozumel, but got another enjoyable day at sea in return.

Archived