Sunshine Reviews/Tips/Tricks/Help - Nov 23rd 2018

thall1717

We are booked on the Sunshine for an 8 day Southern cruise with ports in Grand Turk, Aruba and Curacco. The wife and I have cruised before with the most recent being the Magic in August of 2016. We had an absolute amazing time and loved the Magic.

As with any vacation I am neck deep into the research and reviews. We have 3 adjoining balcony rooms on Deck 8 and our party consists of our family, Mom, Dad and 4 boys (19.15.11.8) and my sister inlaw's family, Mom, Dad, 8yr old daughter and 6 year old son (their first cruise).

I guess I am looking for recent Sunshine reviews as well as some tips n tricks for the Sunshine as well as any recommendations for excursions. We are really looking for the best snorkel experience to see sea turtles...

Anyone have experience in November? Crowds? All I have been hearing is getting a chair by the pool is tough and long lines all around. Hoping the day after Thanksgiving won't be a popular time :)

I know any vacation is what you make of it and it's easy to find the negatives and some people are just not happy no matter what.

Appreciate any and all information!

Welcome to cruise critic!

I haven't been on the Sunshine yet... 50 days to go, but who's counting? ;p

But like you, I have been reading reviews and searching for tips. One that I've seen several times is to not miss Cucina Capitano and JiJi's Asian kitchen. They both cost $15 for supper and everyone says they are great. However they are also open for lunch and are free at that time. JiJi's does a Mongolian wok and the Cucina does a build-your-own pasta thing, both of which are said to be very good. Go early in the cruise because a lot of people don't know they are there yet and they are less busy.

Try the Steakhouse bar, even if you aren't eating there. It usually isn't busy and you may be able to get more upscale wine by the glass or spirits if you have Cheers than what you find at the other bars.

Go to the comedy club early to get a good seat. This is true on most ships, but the Sunshine comedy lounge has an odd layout. If you don't get their early you may end up sitting around the corner from the stage and watching the comic on a TV monitor.

Grand Turk: we are renting a golf cart ($100 for the day, seats 4) and planning to just drive around the small island and stop wherever strikes our fancy. You don't need to book any excursion here if you don't want. You can just walk right off the ship and be on the beach. Turn left off the pier to arrive at Margaritaville which has a pool area free to use, and there are chairs and umbrellas on the beach, also free. Keep walking a bit further down the beach to arrive at Jack's Shack, a beach bar that people say is a lot of fun and has a friendly dog who loves to play. Alternatively, turn right off the pier for a less crowded beach.

Those are a few of the things I've picked up from reading here. Keep browsing and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information you can fine.

There's a website by a family who call themselves thejellybeans which has pictures, video reviews, menus, fun times, etc. Lots of good info about the Sunshine. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to their site here, but if you google the jellybeans sunshine, it should come right up.

I'll have a detailed photo review of the Sunshine later this summer! :D

I have not yet been on Sunshine but will be in 42 days. Along with reading many reviews, I have used YouTube to watch video reviews of the ship and rooms, tips and vlogs. I have learned a ton.

Just type in the YouTube search field Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Sunshine reviews or Carnival Sunshine and the cabin number.

Have great cruise!!

I, like you have been doing so much research. My group of 13 will be leaving August 18th for the 8 day cruise going to PR, GT, SK, and SM. (Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten).

I will be doing a complete Vlog and Blog about the cruise. I will try to cover every area possible.

We love the Sunshine and while we have not traveled Thanksgiving week which will be crowded on any ship, we have managed to avoid the lines many report on here. If a comedy show is important - go early - like you would at home and wait 20 minutes for them to open the doors.

Don't try to eat on the Lido at prime time (12-1 ish), if you do, expect lines. Take advantage of breakfast/brunch in the MDR to avoid lines and have a more relaxing start to the day.

Do go to Havana bar and find the Cuban snacks at breakfast and lunch.

You can also find food down on deck 5 if things are crowded up top.

Do eat at JiJis....and steakhouse.

If you like sushi, grab a snack at Bonsai.

Piano bar can be tons of fun, and tea nice and relaxing in the afternoon.

She has a lovely Serenity deck/pool. Unless you go early, you may find it hard to grab a spot until later in the day. We get a balcony and prefer the privacy but will enjoy it in off hours.

Alchemy is perfectly located and a favorite. Go early and around 5 they will bring out some cheese, olives and nuts to snack on. They disappear after 30-60 minutes.

Hope those help.

the area near the alchemy bar has great music in the evening. there is a dance floor and plenty of seating. it is between the alchemy bar and the pub. we have been on 3 cruises on the sunshine and are also on the November 23rd cruise, this will be our 2nd time on this itinerary. she is one of our favorite ships.

We are booked on the Sunshine for an 8 day Southern cruise with ports in Grand Turk, Aruba and Curacco. The wife and I have cruised before with the most recent being the Magic in August of 2016. We had an absolute amazing time and loved the Magic.

As with any vacation I am neck deep into the research and reviews. We have 3 adjoining balcony rooms on Deck 8 and our party consists of our family, Mom, Dad and 4 boys (19.15.11.8) and my sister inlaw's family, Mom, Dad, 8yr old daughter and 6 year old son (their first cruise).

I guess I am looking for recent Sunshine reviews as well as some tips n tricks for the Sunshine as well as any recommendations for excursions. We are really looking for the best snorkel experience to see sea turtles...

Anyone have experience in November? Crowds? All I have been hearing is getting a chair by the pool is tough and long lines all around. Hoping the day after Thanksgiving won't be a popular time :)

I know any vacation is what you make of it and it's easy to find the negatives and some people are just not happy no matter what.

Appreciate any and all information!

Just got off ..... I’ll be doing a review later today or tomorrow.... the good bad and ugly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums