Drinks package question for the Aussies out there

PollyLong

We are taking our first ever Celebrity cruise in December and I am trying to work out whether a drinks package would work out good value or not. Our cruise was excellent value, but drinks are not included as a perk.

I understand the currency onboard is USD which to my mind means that as Australians, our drinks will be super expensive! Just wondering if other Aussies can offer advice on this? We are not huge drinkers, but hubby likes beers, Bundy rum and a glass or two of wine on holidays and I like wine spritzers, and a couple of cocktails a day. We rarely drink softdrink, juices etc and would probably only want a coffee or two daily.

Any thoughts?

Probably best to have a look at the various drinks menus which many people have posted already on the site. Work out what you are likely to drink in a day and how much it will cost you. Then you can compare the package prices for both the Classic and Premium and go from there. We found the Classic was okay but a bit lacking in available wine and Martini Bar. The Premium is excellent but you have to drink a lot to get your money worth. Remember you can take 2 bottles of wine on board at the start of your cruise and if you wish to drink wine in the MDR, the sommelier will recork your unfinished bottle and bring it out again the next night which is cheaper than wine by the glass. There are often specials on the packages available after boarding. Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great time.

Hi,the drinks are very expensive. In US dollars plus gratuity’s at 18%. We are also from Oz and never cruise without a drinks package. No worries about do I or don’t I have that drink. Also coffee and bottled water are included. Work on about $12 per drink but cocktails and wine are more again. Coffee about $6 Aus. Just do the maths, because only you will be able to answer the question!! For us it’s a no brainer especially when you hit the night club late at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very easy to get your moneys worth on a drinks package when you have a coffee, and a few drinks each day. Even bottled water you have to pay for. Check to see what brand of your drinks is on which package too. Very hard to find aussie brands in a drinks menu here, but I remember drinking Bundy on the classic package. My hubby had to have Tooheys New as his favourite - Tooheys Extra Dry was only on the Premium package.