Please share your ideas with me!!

SusieC

My husband and I are taking our 6 year old twin boys on their first cruise in March. We will be on the Radiance of the Seas and will be stopping in St. Maarten. I'm looking for ideas for what to do while we are there. I came across a link to Aquamania tours and something called the PlayStation for Kids that looks interesting. I was wondering if anyone here has been out to that ( or if anyone can tell me how far this Pelican Marina in Simpson Bay is from the ship ). It seems the boys are too young for many of the excursions offered by the ship so any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thanks a bunch.

They have the "Ducks" tours there... not sure how interested they'd be in the tour itself but boys that age might find a truck that then just drives into the water fun????? It's a relatively short thing too so it wouldn't be too boring??? IMHO only ex. for beach St Maarten really doesn't have much for the younger set.. but then I've not heard of the Playstation thing-y:confused:

My husband and I are taking our 6 year old twin boys on their first cruise in March. We will be on the Radiance of the Seas and will be stopping in St. Maarten. I'm looking for ideas for what to do while we are there. I came across a link to Aquamania tours and something called the PlayStation for Kids that looks interesting. I was wondering if anyone here has been out to that ( or if anyone can tell me how far this Pelican Marina in Simpson Bay is from the ship ). It seems the boys are too young for many of the excursions offered by the ship so any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thanks a bunch.

We rented a car (Budget at the Philipsburg Pier) for the day with our two boys (ages 7 & 11) because it seems like it will be easier to deal with their ever changing interests. Right now we are doing the Butterfly farm in the morning (supposed to better to see the butterflies in the morning) going back to Philipsburg to the Zoo, then Marigot to climb the fort and see the city. Maybe a little shopping in Philipsburg when we are done (after leaving the boys at the kid's center while we shop). We're going on the Caribbean Princess January 28th so I'll post what we actually do afterwards.

Eileen

Last spring we took our 3 girls (at the time age 11, 8 & 6) on the Lord Sheffield. ALL 3 loved it, but there were kids on the boat same age who did not. Search the boards for "Lord Sheffield" there have been many posts about it. For what its worth, my kids are water and boat rats who enjoyed just sailing and snorkeling; the kids who didn't seem to enjoy it seemed to not enjoy the water either.

Thank you all for your suggestions - now I really have some options! The "duck" tour would definitely interest my boys during the water portion but I'm afraid they'd be bored with touring the city. I'm not ruling it out though! As for the butterfly farm, we have a beautiful butterfly conservatory here near home that they take field trips with their classes to every year so I'm afraid that wouldn't be as thrilling for us as it would be to others. (But we do love the one here so it's a great suggestion!) I am interested in this Lord Sheffield excursion. I've read many positive reviews and it does sound very family friendly. Is it possible to book it through the ship (I didn't see it on the excursions list) or do you contact them privately? Thanks again for your replies. Oh, and here is a link to the Playstation thing I was talking about : http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/tours.php?area=7

Susie

I also agree with previous poster about renting a car... we did so on our 11/26 Serenade sailing trip recently.....used Hertz (800 International # from their website - people very helpful and nice)

But to go to the Butterfly farm and then back to Philipsburg and then to Marigot is backtracking....

Go to your local bookstore and get Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call...5th edition is latest printing... it has a basic map of the island....as well as other really good info on all the islands...

however, you should go online and order one... I paid 3.50 for one and they mailed it and I received it in 4 days !!! We basically did one big loop from pier to Marigot (did not go around Simpson Bay Lagoon) then to Grand Case and then over to Orient and then down to Philipsburg.

We had a lot of fun driving around (lunch and shopping in Marigot) and even off-roaded to find that "perfect beach" as we had a jeep wrangler 4 wd soft top.... Have the boys "help" plan out your route and what neat things to see along the way. The island is not very big and driving was really nice once out of city traffic.

The Lord Sheffield does NOT book through any of the cruise lines, you have to book them independently. Capt. Rob told us he doesn't want all the crowds the cruise ships will force on him so he stays independent to keep the tours small.

You've got some good ideas here so far, but let me comment on some of them:

Lord Sheffield Sail - Great, but a bit time consuming. Could get very hot on a day with full sun. Not enough opportunity to get into the water.

Butterfly Farm - Very interesting, but would likely need a car for best use of the time.

Ft. Louis - Wonderful view of Marigot, Simpson Lagoon and the North side. A must do if combined with a Marigot stop.

Duck Tour - An absolutely terrible American intrusion into the Caribbean Island culture. Obnoxious loud truck operating on congested narrow streets is an embarrasment.

Map of the Island - Just go HERE and you'll see an excellent map.

Rent a Car and Self Tour - Plan your day carefully. May I suggest this route.

Pelican Marina Play Station - It's a real waste of time.

Zoo - Only if time allows.

What's Missing??? - Big Jet Landings at Maho! Most unique opportunity anywhere on the planet. Where else will you see a 747 landing 50 feet directly overhead? What a huge kick for kids (and adults who wish they were kids again).

BEACH TIME - DO NOT MISS ORIENT BEACH, one of the top 1-4 beaches in the Caribbean.

ENJOY! and good luck in your advance planning.

You've got some good ideas here so far, but let me comment on some of them:

Lord Sheffield Sail - Great, but a bit time consuming. Could get very hot on a day with full sun. Not enough opportunity to get into the water.

Butterfly Farm - Very interesting, but would likely need a car for best use of the time.

Ft. Louis - Wonderful view of Marigot, Simpson Lagoon and the North side. A must do if combined with a Marigot stop.

Duck Tour - An absolutely terrible American intrusion into the Caribbean Island culture. Obnoxious loud truck operating on congested narrow streets is an embarrasment.

Map of the Island - Just go HERE and you'll see an excellent map.

Rent a Car and Self Tour - Plan your day carefully. May I suggest this route.

Pelican Marina Play Station - It's a real waste of time.

Zoo - Only if time allows.

What's Missing??? - Big Jet Landings at Maho! Most unique opportunity anywhere on the planet. Where else will you see a 747 landing 50 feet directly overhead? What a huge kick for kids (and adults who wish they were kids again).

BEACH TIME - DO NOT MISS ORIENT BEACH, one of the top 1-4 beaches in the Caribbean.

ENJOY! and good luck in your advance planning.

Excellent post. Thanks! :)

Archived