Adding a TBA person

Tortoiselvr

I always book solo when I find a good sale. Since I have to pay for two, everything is included except one port charge. I always add the person no later than 3 weeks before the cruise. The only thing left to pay is that person’s port charges. Nothing else changes, because the cruise is already paid for by the time I add them. I never add anyone until it’s paid off. I’ve done this for about 10 cruises. If noone goes, I’m all good for a solo cruise.

I always book solo when I find a good sale. Since I have to pay for two, everything is included except one port charge. I always add the person no later than 3 weeks before the cruise. The only thing left to pay is that person’s port charges. Nothing else changes, because the cruise is already paid for by the time I add them. I never add anyone until it’s paid off. I’ve done this for about 10 cruises. If noone goes, I’m all good for a solo cruise.

I do this too, its actually port fees and taxes (and gratuities if you prepay), but since Early Saver name changes are so restrictive, I always just book as a solo and wait as long as I can. For me, its usually a month or so, but that's my choice. I think the actual rule is 72 hours before sailing, but I may be mistaken on that!

I do this too, its actually port fees and taxes (and gratuities if you prepay), but since Early Saver name changes are so restrictive, I always just book as a solo and wait as long as I can. For me, its usually a month or so, but that's my choice. I think the actual rule is 72 hours before sailing, but I may be mistaken on that!

When my DH is not able to go, I will take my daughter or cousin. The only thing I tell them to take care of is their port fee and taxes, Insurance, and their own tips. I think that’s a pretty good deal for them. :D

OP...consider this before booking TBA.

Another thing to remember some sailings become very popular and suddenly the ship may reach max passenger even though you still have room in your cabin.

My advice if you book solo, is to check the availability of cabins and once you see that not many are open on your deck as well the 1 above and below feel pressured to get that name in to your PVP. Better yet once you are sure of your cabinmate and their financials concerning the cruise get their name put on the booking.

Otherwise give up the early saver option (with it's $50 name change fee) and go with the TBA booking. You can with anything rate other than a GTY booking claim price adjustments up to the final payment date. If you find a cabin mate before early savers offer end you can always switch when adding them if ES is as low or lower than your original fare.

When my DH is not able to go, I will take my daughter or cousin. The only thing I tell them to take care of is their port fee and taxes, Insurance, and their own tips. I think that’s a pretty good deal for them. :D

That's a GREAT deal for them! :D I do something similar, we usually have 3 people sailing so I book 2 cabins and leave myself as solo in one of them, then I can wait and decide who I want to room with! I often give the room as a birthday/holiday/reward gift if there is one near the cruise date.

But by all means, let me know if you need a roomie one day! ;p I'd be happy to sail for taxes/fees/tips!

Another thing to remember some sailings become very popular and suddenly the ship may reach max passenger even though you still have room in your cabin.

I check online daily to check for price drops, and call weekly check availability when it gets close to sail date. I know there are over 400 cabins still open as of this morning for my Sept. sailing. However, not everyone knows this, and could miss that their ship is full or getting full. Great info to add when booking solo, to watch for availability if you go that route! Thanks for the reminder!

I'll go....LoL

Thank you so much! I just want to be sure I understand...

If I book solo - I understand I pay double occupancy and MY fees etc. If I need to add someone later (say, 2 weeks before sailing) they just pay their fees?

I thought they'd reevaluate what the cabin was going for at that point in time and that person would need to pay the difference plus their fees...

If this is the case, there's no reason to book TBA, right?

I just want to have the option to add someone if I want...

Thanks again

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

If I book solo - I understand I pay double occupancy and MY fees etc. If I need to add someone later (say, 2 weeks before sailing) they just pay their fees?

I thought they'd reevaluate what the cabin was going for at that point in time and that person would need to pay the difference plus their fees...

Thanks again

You are right. They have never changed the price of my cruise after I paid it off. If you are ever told that, ask for a manager. Because of work obligations, some people will be on call and not able to cruise until the last minute. This is why I can’t book him in advance. But more important, be sure to watch to make sure the ship does not sell out. You can call and find out if many cabins are still available.

You are right. They have never changed the price of my cruise after I paid it off. If you are ever told that, ask for a manager. Because of work obligations, some people will be on call and not able to cruise until the last minute. This is why I can’t book him in advance. But more important, be sure to watch to make sure the ship does not sell out. You can call and find out if many cabins are still available.
You are awesome. Thank you so much for your patience and knowledge!!

Thanks again

What you need to understand is there are 2 ways a cruise can sell out.

1) Being it reaches what is considered maximum passenger capacity. When this happens it means all the lifeboat seats have been filled. There could still be cabins available but the cruise line can not legally accept anymore passengers. We have been able to get some really sweet last minute upgrades like going from an interior cabin to a deluxe extended balcony for $175 for 2 people on a 7 day cruise 48 hours prior to departure. In this case booking TBA on a popular itinerary makes sense as you are reserving for a yet unnamed person.

2) The other is when all cabins sell out. When this happens it does not always mean that the ship has maxed out on passenger capacity. It just means that lots of people are booking cabins with more berths than they have passengers on their booking. In that case you can add as many others as your cabin can hold, until maximum passengers for your muster station is reached. In this case taking the risk of booking solo makes sense because you save on the extra port fees and taxes right up front.

Each method is a gamble in one way or the other. BUT the one thing, as long as you book a rate that allows changes without having to do a cancelation, you would not run into is your fare being increased. This is where having a good PVP or TA can be important, they can help out by first telling you which fare rate will cause the least amount of "administration" change fees on a booking and still leave you able to get price reductions up to a certain point. Secondly they would also have the most accurate info on which sold out point, if any, the ship is approaching (though you need to call them to ask) to help you know when it's time to get confirmation on that second name in.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app