Need help taxi or car rental

Arwenmark

We will have on arrival in Miami, four large suitcases and five carryon size bags four adults and a scooter that can break into pieces and a folding wheelchair.

Can anyone tell me if the accessible cabs that can be called at Miami airport can handle all this?

Also any thoughts on which size minivan might handle this load on the day we return to port? flight out is not till 8:30 pm and plan to rent a car for the day.

Usually I rent the scooter and just take my chair but this time I am flying with both plus all the luggage.

I've been there, almost done that. We travel with 2 wheelchairs, and when our daughter is with us, 4 large suitcases and multiple carry-ons.

Its always a tight fit for the 3 of us in the accessible cabs so I do not think that they would hold the 4 of you plus scooter, wheelchair and luggage. However, there are several other options.

The best option probably would be to split into two cabs: an accessible one and a regular one or even 2 of the larger regular ones if that is a possibility. It would cost about the same as cruise line transfers, but would be more convenient.

Another option would be the Super Shuttle. Some, but not all of their shuttles would hold all of you and your baggage. You would have to call and ask. But from our experience you probably would have to wait for them, and it probably would be about the same, or more than a cab since they charge by the passenger.

I am not sure, but I believe you will need at least a full sized van or a lpossibly arge minivan to hold all of you on your return. A Dodge Caravan might be a possibility. It has a well inside one of the side doors that will hold the folding chair so it does not take up luggage space in the rear and the 3rd row of seats folds down fairly easily.

Another possibility would be a truck that seats 5. My nephew has one and it fit 5 of us, 2 wheelchairs and all our luggage on our way to the pier last summer. However, the seats are high and can be difficult to get into. The back is also open so your things would get wet if it rains if you do not have a cover.

One more thought. Are you sailing on Royal Caribbean. If so, I believe that they have a new program where you can check you luggage and check in for your flight at the pier. I have never used it, but I would think that if you can, it would be well worth the cost not to have to transport your luggage all day. If you are sailing RCCL, I would call and ask.

Archived