Is 9 months too young to go on a cruise?

gonersgirl

DH and I are expecing at the end of July. We have been talking about planning a cruise with a few couples for next Spring. Our friends all have young children, however the youngest would be 16 months EXCEPT for our baby who would only be 9 months when we cruised.

I'm wonder if 9 months is too young to cruise with. I'm also interested in any suggestions for the best line to cruise on. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks!

Heather

Carnival Valor 9.18.05-9.25.05 LOVED IT!!!!

9MO is not too young. If you have cruised before, you may want to change your expectations for the cruise. Cruising with infants is different than cruising as a childless couple. If you are accustom to staying up late at the disco and shows, that probably won't happen. If you want to sunbathe for hours next to the pool, you probably don't want your 9MO basking in that same sun! Zip-line tours, shark dives - all right out of the question:D.

If you are ok with a slower paced, keep it flexible vacation - a 9MO can be a great cruising companion!

As to what line:

1) If you are ok with leaving your baby in the care of another, make certain that the line you select offers in-room sitting for that age group.

2) If others in your group have children in the under three set, check the children's program and pool age limits (and potty training) guidelines.

3) Consider lines with plenty of alternative dining establishments. Sometimes baby's schedule or mood doesn't meet with your scheduled dining time.

4) Check the availability of safe water supply (for mixing with formula) and what the kitchen crew is allowed to do for you (pureeing food, heating baby food you bring, etc)

We are cruising in 1 week on the Valor with our DD who will be just under 9 mo old. We are looking forward to it. Although she is too young for Camp Carnival or babysitting (I think), we will still enjoy taking her everywhere and showing her the sites, even if she never remembers them. Have a great Cruise...:D

I'm wonder if 9 months is too young to cruise with. I'm also interested in any suggestions for the best line to cruise on. Anyone have any thoughts??

Onessa's post is right on -- cruising with a baby is more work than cruising alone. But it's fun -- our son was 7 months old on our last cruise, and he loved it!

We've only taken the little guy on the one cruise, which was Royal Caribbean. The Aqua Babies program (45 minute sessions with age-appropriate Fisher-Price toys) was fun for him and for us, and it's a way to get to meet some of the other baby-parents on the ship.

9 months is not too young, at all. Having friends along can be a big help too, as you can all share the kid-watching duties to get occasional breaks. My mother-in-law came on our cruise, so we could have some time alone now and then.

I would say it really depends on you. For me, I cannot imagine taking a child that young on a cruise. They really are not going to remember any of it. I can't buy that there will be any stimulation they will get on the cruise that will help with their development or anything like that. I think I would save my money and wait another couple of years to cruise with my 9 month old.

I would also talk to the people that are going with you on the trip. You might want to discuss with them the amount/type of help they are willing to give you with the baby. It's their vacation, too. They might not be too excited about giving up an evening to watch the baby.

Please note ... I am playing devil's advocate to a certain extent. I'm not suggesting your friends do not want to help or that you are wrong for wanting to take the baby with you. I'm just trying to point out a few things you might want to consider.

That's me, though. If your decision is to take the baby ... great! I hope you all have a fantastic time.

2 years ago we took our family, kids ages 16,15,11, 1.5 and 6 months on a 5 day Carnival cruise. We had so much fun, just go into it knowing that it will not be total vacation...but better than staying at home! The Camp Carnival program starts at age 2, so we had 2 little ones with us. The babysitting service at night can get expensive, so we only used it for the deck party and were very happy with their service. My best advice is to be organized! If you forget anything they will probably have it on the ship, but for an outrageous price! I looked and saw a small package of diapers were $40!! Our dining room wat staff were excellent.. one night the baby was pretty fussy and the waiter carried her around a little while we ate!! I was nervous about going on any excursions with them, but I did go to the beach. The drive there was a little nerve racking...but we are all still here!! I say just relax and enjoy!

We cruise often and I can tell you the cruise with my son when he was 8 months old was VERY different from our usual. Yes, it can be fun...but for me I would have liked to have more freedom. My other son would not leave the baby and go into the kid's program alone so we came home from our cruise VERY tired after spending the entire week with both kids.

Everyone is different so just think about your expectations of the cruise and if you will be disappointed if you cannot participate in certain activities.

Yes...I was exhausted but the picture I have of his expression of wonder while cozying up with a dolphin is priceless.

9 months is PERFECT! Your friends with the 16 mo old will be envious. We took our daughter on a princess cruise at 9 months. She was happy and smiling, yet still not mobile. We got a backpack carrier and hiked all over the islands with her. We even took her one an excursion or two. Yes, you have to go out for less time and work around naps, but the ships all have baby food, and it really does work. We never used the onboard sitting...but didn't really need to. The staff really catered to us. And yes, it does take a bit more planning. We even went on a BOB diving excursion - we brought a baby life jacket with us and went one at a time (they took people in groups of 5 and there were 20 of us) and the other stayed with her above the water on the small boat.

Have a great time :) !!

I agree with Jayhawk, its the perfect age. We took our son at 8months and again and 20months. The time when he was 8months was far easier!! He was a joy then. The second time too I guess, but he was just much more mobile and therefore more difficult.

I say go for it! We took our daughter when she was just under 4 months old on a week long cruise to Alaska. She was one of only two babies on the ship and she was doted on by every passenger and crew member we encountered. Sure, it was different from our previous cruises but we still had a good time. The best thing we did was book a stateroom with a balcony so we could sit outside and read and enjoy the view while she napped. If you can swing it, definitely go for the balcony!

A few people said to us "but she's too young to remember it" to which we replied "We didn't take this trip so she'd remember it, we took it because we like to travel and there's no way we're putting off our vacations for 5 years until our kids will remember it." You make adjustments and you have a good time :)

We're now planning a cruise for this April when our daughter will be 14 months. Should be interesting with a new walker!

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised w/our 18 month old son, and we will be cruising again w/him and his 9 month old brother next Christmas.

Cruising w/a small child is definitely different than as a couple (we had been on several cruises before), but it was still a lot of fun. We do Christmas cruises w/the whole family (including both sets of grandparents), so we had a lot of help. And we had traveled w/him already a little b/c we do not live near either side of the family. So we were comfortable (and realistic) about traveling w/him.

We did not do ship excursions, we did beach days and made sure the beaches we chose had lots of shade or we brought shade for him. We made sure he got an afternoon nap, we did not eat in the dining room, etc.

We had a wonderful trip and I don't regret anything! Just relax and make sure you are prepared (and the people traveling with you), and things should go fine.

I cruised with my DD when she was 6m and have another cruise planned for when she will be 14m. She just loved being on the ship and people watching.

We cruised Carnival and on 3 nights put her in group babysitting after 10pm so my DH and I could have a little fun at night. We would hang out after dinner on the ship and then all three of us would head back to the room around 7:30pm or so for her bath (we brought a portable blow up tub to use in the shower) and then put her down in her crib around 8pm -- her normal bedtime. Because her nighttime schedule was pretty much the same she was golden during the day. Then my DH and I would watch movies or discuss the day for 2 hours and carry her up (still sleeping) to group babysitting at Camp Carnival.

I felt that it was a wonderful compromise. I brought my DD along (not that I was ever thinking about leaving her at home) and I still felt like my DH and I got some "quality time" together on the cruise.

Yes, a baby is more work on a ship, but still LESS work than at home :) . No food shopping, laundry, dishes (just bottles), cooking, cleaning, working...

Our family loved our cruise and couldn't imagine cruising without her ;) .

Well, we're back from the Valor and can honestly say we had a blast with our DD. We did everyhting we possibly could to make the most of our first trip. I admit we did some trading off during the evening but other than that, we are so glad we took her. Here are a few pics of our Valor 1/15/06 Eastern trip. (Don't mind the rest)...

http://*****.net/babyjennings/pictures.php

I say go for it! We took our daughter when she was just under 4 months old on a week long cruise to Alaska. She was one of only two babies on the ship and she was doted on by every passenger and crew member we encountered. Sure, it was different from our previous cruises but we still had a good time. The best thing we did was book a stateroom with a balcony so we could sit outside and read and enjoy the view while she napped. If you can swing it, definitely go for the balcony!

A few people said to us "but she's too young to remember it" to which we replied "We didn't take this trip so she'd remember it, we took it because we like to travel and there's no way we're putting off our vacations for 5 years until our kids will remember it." You make adjustments and you have a good time :)

We're now planning a cruise for this April when our daughter will be 14 months. Should be interesting with a new walker!

We're considering a cruise with our to-be-4 month old in March - wondered a few things. First, I thought minimum age for infants was 4 months - how did you swing the "just under"? Did they ask for her birthdate or no? There's a cheaper cruise leaving the week before her 4 month "birthday" that would save us about $100.

Also I've wondered about seasickness vs real sickness - do infants get seasick? I know that they like the "motion of the ocean" feeling on land - at what age do kids get seasick?

Also, I usually get mal d'barquement after a cruise - anyone know if babies can get this (rocking sensation that lasts for a week or so after being at sea)?

My husband is concerned about whether she's got enough immunity w/vaccinations at 4 months - any thoughts on this?

TIA for any info!

Kendra

We're considering a cruise with our to-be-4 month old in March - wondered a few things. First, I thought minimum age for infants was 4 months - how did you swing the "just under"? Did they ask for her birthdate or no? There's a cheaper cruise leaving the week before her 4 month "birthday" that would save us about $100.

Also I've wondered about seasickness vs real sickness - do infants get seasick? I know that they like the "motion of the ocean" feeling on land - at what age do kids get seasick?

Also, I usually get mal d'barquement after a cruise - anyone know if babies can get this (rocking sensation that lasts for a week or so after being at sea)?

My husband is concerned about whether she's got enough immunity w/vaccinations at 4 months - any thoughts on this?

TIA for any info!

Kendra

Hi, I am taking my 6 month old on a cruise next week. I was told they had to be atlaest 6 months old but it probably depends on the cruise line. I Just took her to the Doctor and she got her flu shot which gives me peace of mind. I did ask the Doctor if the baby could get seasick and he said that it is rare. However, You should give a call to your pediatrician and ask him/her about the cruise and the Seasickness.

do infants get seasick?

We are taking our DD on her first cruise in 9 days!! We spoke with our Ped and she said that if your baby cannot walk then she cannot get seasick. Some thing about middle ear development:confused:.

I can tell you that the Princess line has been great in helping us with our cruise. They are supplying us with a crib in our room, a highchair in the dining room and all of her cereal/ babyfood for the whole cruise....so much less packing.

Relax and enjoy!!

AmyLynn

We are taking our DD on her first cruise in 9 days!! We spoke with our Ped and she said that if your baby cannot walk then she cannot get seasick. Some thing about middle ear development:confused:.

I can tell you that the Princess line has been great in helping us with our cruise. They are supplying us with a crib in our room, a highchair in the dining room and all of her cereal/ babyfood for the whole cruise....so much less packing.

Relax and enjoy!!

AmyLynn

Thanks for the info - I haven't had a chance to call the Ped. Looks like we'll be going in October now tho, so she'll be 11 months old. We'll probably take our PNP since we're not having to fly, but the high chair and baby food are good things to ask for. I remember reading about that but I don't remember if it was NCL's literature or Princess' (we did Princess last year, this trip will be our 2nd on NCL).

Different cruiselines have different requirements. Some have no minimum age, while Carnival is 4 months, I think Princess is 6 months and I think HAL is 12 weeks.

We booked a cruise for February and had to rebook for a later date because my nephew was born two weeks late and we missed the 4 month cutoff by 2 days! While our TA called Carnival, my MIL called the executive offices at Carnival . . . we tried everything and eventually had to rebook for a later date at a higher rate. Some people tried to talk us into taking our chances, just taking him and saying "the TA must have made a booking mistake". However, it wasn't a chance anyone was willing to take.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

TIA for any info!

Kendra

We cruised Holland America with her so that's how she was able to go at just under 4 months. I don't remember what kind of documentation they required but we did have a passport for her so they could verify her age that way.

The rocking of the ship didn't seem to bother her. Actually, I think she slept better because of it.

As for immunity, I think that depends on a lot of factors so your pediatrician would be your best help. Since we were going on a domestic cruise and our baby was born full term and had never been sick, we felt confident bringing her on board (although we make full use out of those little hand sanitizing pods they have all over the ship!).

Well, we're back from the Valor and can honestly say we had a blast with our DD. We did everyhting we possibly could to make the most of our first trip. I admit we did some trading off during the evening but other than that, we are so glad we took her. Here are a few pics of our Valor 1/15/06 Eastern trip. (Don't mind the rest)...

http://*****.net/babyjennings/pictures.php

Thanks for sharing your photos. We will have a 9 mo. old and a 3 1/2 year old next January. Traditionally we have always cruised in January and I was thinking "well... maybe we still could..."

We cruised this year with our son at 2 1/2 and it was a little rough. I actually think 9 mos. old would be easier. They don't have such a mind of their own at that age!!!

Looks like you had some family members along for support!:)

I say go for it! But this is coming from a mom who did have one HUGE medical emergency with her 7 month old on Disney Magic last Feb.

Our daughter (7 months old at the time) had a febrile seizure (fever seizure) on board due some kind of virus she picked up on the ship. Alot of the kids on the ship were sick. Even my 6 year old caught something on board. So we had to spend 2 days in the ship's hospital, then had to have an emergency evacuation (I think Disney overreacted, but it was great that they DID react)

So, will I never cruise again with small children? No, we are booked on an April 07 sailing. My other daughter has been cruising since she was 6 months old as well and NEVER had any problems like my youngest had.

Oh, and I didn't put my 7 month old in the nursery either, just in case you were wondering. She must have picked it up somewhere else on the ship.

Michele

Hi!

9 months will probably be easier than 26 months (well maybe, perhaps, I don't know-;)

We are going on the Norwegian Dawn with my 2 year old son in June. If he is cranky, all I have to do is find somewhere with music and he starts dancing and singing! He even makes up some words (still have to figure out in which language sometimes). So built in entertainment.

Have fun!

I just returned from a cruise with my twin one-year-olds and I don't think there is any better way to travel with babies. Just not having to deal with car seats for a week was worth it, but the cost was also sensational when priced against a resort vacation. If one of them started crying during a meal, we left without having to worry that I'd just paid for another un-eaten meal. We could just go try again later. My girls are on regular milk, so I was able to have it delivered to the cabin any time they needed. I knew I would have fun, but I didn't expect them to have such a ball. They loved being fawned over every time we stepped out of the cabin, and they slept wonderfully. We sailed out of our local harbor, so I was able to bring bouncie chairs and boxes filled with diapers, toys, etc. We won't be traveling any other way until the girls are old enough to want to do Europe, etc.

Have a great time,

Mia

We were considering a cruise with extended family when I was told that my niece's 9 mo old would have to pay the 3rd person in the room rate. They are a young couple and could not afford to pay for her and there would be no one left at home to keep her, so we postponed it for a year. It made sense to me that the 4 year-olds would cost because there are programs for them, but it surprised me that you have to pay for the babies. How do you all do it financially?

Archived