Ultimate Balcony Dinner

Lynda90

We are cruising with a group of about 10 people on the Diamond to Alaska next September and were wondering whether or not the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is offered. Our thought is we'd love to do it as a group, although actually have the dinner in one of the public rooms on the ship. Anyone know anything about this. I did send an email to Passenger Relations and asked that question and they totally blew me off. Not at all accommodating which really disappointed me. I have also posted this on the Alaska board, but no answers as yet.

Thanks for your help.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lynda,

Sorry to highjack your thread but I think I saw you were on the Diamond Princess in room D614? (think it was the Diamond...)

We are booked in that room for an upcoming cruise and I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of q's?

Hi Lynda,

Sorry to highjack your thread but I think I saw you were on the Diamond Princess in room D614? (think it was the Diamond...)

We are booked in that room for an upcoming cruise and I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of q's?

Hi Beebox, we were in room D614 over a year ago. You much have found that information somewhere in the archives of time.:D We loved the location of the mini suite. The cabin itself was just great, spacious and beautiful. I do, however, prefer the Caribe deck where the balconies are large and half covered. The Dolphin deck has completely uncovered balconies. And while this did not bother me, it did get awfully hot out there in the Mexican sun. Enjoy!

Lynda,

we have reserved the Grand suite and were wondering if we could have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 8 of us traveling together served in our suite. Your answer is encouraging.

Carol, to find out for sure whether this will work for you, you should fax Group Onboard Services at 661-284-4770. They may need some time to arrange for your group. I really don't know how large the Grand Suite is. I stayed in a Penthouse Suite once and I know there was not enough space for dinner for 8. If you contact them, let us know what they say. That way we will all learn something new.:D

I honestly don't know how they could possibly do an Ultimate Balcony Dinner for 8-10 people. I hope the original poster wasn't given misinformation (which cruiselines are famous for). There are only two waiters serving you. One constantly runs back and forth from the galley bringing up a cart with the next course. It is very personalized service. Having done it this past September for my husband and me, I don't see how the two waiters could possibly handle a group that size. I just don't want you disappointed if you count on doing this, and when you board, it's a "no go." Just be prepared.

Oh, one other thing I wanted to add is that perhaps they would do a private group dinner, but probably not the UBD on a balcony. As I said, each course comes up on a cart, and carrying enough food on a cart for that many people by one person would be next to impossible. They only have a staff of four waiters each night to do the UBD. They do two a night per ship, and each couple is assigned two waiters.

Oh, one other thing I wanted to add is that perhaps they would do a private group dinner, but probably not the UBD on a balcony. As I said, each course comes up on a cart, and carrying enough food on a cart for that many people by one person would be next to impossible. They only have a staff of four waiters each night to do the UBD. They do two a night per ship, and each couple is assigned two waiters.

We are looking at a private group dinner to be held in on of the public rooms that is not used all the time. We realize that we won't be able to have it in any of our cabins or balconies. If they can put us in a convenient location to the kitchen, this would make it easier for them. We will make all the arrangements several weeks in advance of the cruise. However, if we were given the incorrect information, it would not surprise me. If they cannot provide the UBD for us, there would be no point in just doing a private dinner. We might as well just eat together in one of the PC restaurants which we will be doing every night anyway.

Hi Beebox, we were in room D614 over a year ago. You much have found that information somewhere in the archives of time.:D We loved the location of the mini suite. The cabin itself was just great, spacious and beautiful. I do, however, prefer the Caribe deck where the balconies are large and half covered. The Dolphin deck has completely uncovered balconies. And while this did not bother me, it did get awfully hot out there in the Mexican sun. Enjoy!

Yes it was from the depths of this site! Thanks for the info, am wondering about the uncovered decks also but we'll see how it goes once we are onboard!!!

Glad to hear the room itself is nice!!!

Thanks again and have a great day.:)

Archived