which beach?

crisvow

Fantasy Island is a man made beach. Tabyana is a private resort exclusive to those on tour, so do not be fooled by the taxi drivers that say they will take you to tabyana beach. they will take you to west bay beach.

I loved West Bay Beach...Be glad to "fooled" and go there!:)

There are many wonderful resorts there at West Bay...Tabyana being only one of them (a ship sponsered tour)....

The Mayan Princess on West Bay Beach was awesome!!!....and you didn't have to book it throught the ship...just take a cab there...

Foster's Bar & Grill on West Bay is a popular hang out too...

Many of the locals say West Bay is the prettiest place on the island....when you ask them which is the best....

but I also know people who really said they enjoyed Fantasy Island (also a resort) but not on West bay....they were on our last cruise ship.

Good Luck...

I second Mayan Princess. Pack your snorkle gear, sunscreen, bug spray, a light t'shirt, and some dollars. Get a cab, make sure the price is a round trip. Settle in for the day. Enjoy the beach. Plenty of places to eat and drink. So drink up the sun and relax. West Bay is a beautiful beach.

Enjoy!

Island Dweller

Is there a place on West Bay beach to rent snorkeling equipment?

Is there a place to change clothes?

You know I brought my own snorkel so I never looked...but call your cruiselines and ask about renting it from the ship...I think it was around $5 a day...but maybe not all Cruise lines do this...but I would ask...

There are nice Bathrooms at the Mayan Princess...near their outdoor bar that faces the beach...

I didn't hang out there long...because I walked 200-300 yards to the left of the Mayan Princess down the white sandy beach to go snorkel at the reef(Coral started about 30 feet from the shoreline there and went out about 150 to 200 feet into the bay)

...After snorkeling and sunbathing we walked back to the Mayan when we were done and used their restrooms there before we left to go shopping at West End Village---they have a little beach there too, but it is not as nice---West Bay is way better! Great little hole-in-the wall shops in West End Village though!

Have fun!

How far are the beaches & what is the taxi fare? (ballpark)

We arranged our taxi... and our day in advance with Roatan Cab Company....Depending on how many people are in your group.... They will set the price with you...you just need to tell them what you want to do...

The taxi fare for the whole day should be between $15-$30 per person...depending on what you set up...We also did some additional site seeing...

It is a 25 minute drive through the hilly jungle island...which is actually a nice way to see the island on your way to West Bay...

See my review of our day with our group and here is the email to Roatan Cab Company....

jacksong2005@yahoo.com

Here is a link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273872

Archived