Chichen Itza VS Uxmal??

Rockin' Rhonda

Can anyone help me decide between Chichen Itza vs Uxmal excursions. :confused: I've never been to Progreso, so any other thoughts on shore excursions from there would be most appreciated:cool: My sisters want to see the best Mayan ruins possible, and since I've been nominated the official travel guide for my goup, the pressure is on to come through with flying colors:D

The ruins at Chichen Itza are incomparable. They are worth seeing.

I've not been to Uxmal, so I can't comment on that one.

It is worth knowing that Chichen Itza is about a 3 hour bus ride each way from Playa Del Carmen. They'll probably give a guided tour then give you some time for yourself.

Definitely worth seeing, but be prepared for a LONG day.

Edited to add: I guess you're coming from Progresso, not Playa Del Carmen. Looking at a map, Chichen Itza looks like it is about the same distance from Progresso as it is from Playa Del Carmen. Chichen Itza is quite a way in-land, so it takes some time to get to no matter where you're coming from!!

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like Chichen Itza it is:)

My ship is docking in Progresso and the 'excursion time' from there is 7 hours - I think we are going to be there only 8 hours. However we will book through Carnival so they won't leave us behind if something happens. Uxmal time was 6 1/2 hours - so either way, it's going to be a LONG day.

The group I usually go with likes to stay at the beach all day. This will most definitely be a change of pace:D

When we went to Chichen Itza, we flew in. Do they not offer that anymore? It was quite an adventure, but well worth the extra money and not having to endure the long bus ride. It is one of our favorite excursions of all time.

darcy8

Seeing the ruins is THE only option in Progreso. When we stopped there two weeks ago, the people that went to either Chichen Itza or Uzmal had wonderful times. From what they said, I don't think you can go wrong with either place. The people that chose to go to the beach or just wander around the town were much less impressed.

I might check into the flight option - but we are on a budget. I think I'd rather spend my extra $$ at the Spa:cool:

It's still looking like Chichen Itza is the best bet. I don't really care for shopping in those little Mexican towns. Plus, I live in San Antonio, so I get all that stuff I need right here:p

Good luck on the Bar Exam:eek:

I have been to Uxmal and Chichen Itza. Uxmal is older and "more Mayan".

Chichen Itza has a lot of Toltec influences. Also Chichen Itza tends to be over-run with tourists. Uxmal is MUCH quieter. Personally I would pick Uxmal but either site is interesting.

I've been to both a few years ago when we toured the Yucatan. Chichen Itza was by far the best Mayan ruins we saw. We weren't coming from a boat, we actually stayed at hacienda right at the ruins so had an entire day to enjoy them. I recall seeing the tour bus come in and they had about 1 hour to look around.

Archived