Driving in Leknes/Lofoten

We plan to rent a car in Leknes from Avis car rental. The address given is Lufthavnveien 30, 8370 Leknes. I need to know how far it is from the port and do we need to take a taxi to the place.

We also plan to drive to the village of Reine with a stop at Nusfjord. Is there any thing we must see on the way.

Can we do Henningsvaer too and be back in time. Ship leaves at 6 pm

Thank you

It is more than one hour walk from port to the airport where you car rental is located. Also, your driving itinerary is jam-packed with other cars during summer season and it might take you a few hours one way. I don't recommend driving any further. Other way and quite close to your starting point is the viking museum. The museum itself, the longhouse, the viking boat etc. are a nice place to visit. Also Haukland beach would be quite near and reachable by car - even though the sea is cold, and it rains almost every day, the place itself is a beatiful place to see.

Driving around there is tricky as the roads have elevation changes and tight bends, and also some of the roads are narrow.

We plan to rent a car in Leknes from Avis car rental. The address given is Lufthavnveien 30, 8370 Leknes. I need to know how far it is from the port and do we need to take a taxi to the place.

We also plan to drive to the village of Reine with a stop at Nusfjord. Is there any thing we must see on the way.

Can we do Henningsvaer too and be back in time. Ship leaves at 6 pm

Thank you

We were there last week and rented from Europcar. We had the car delivered to the port and dropped it off there as well- for an additional fee of course. (Approx $30 I think)

Avis has that option as well as someone mentioned it in a previous post and we saw Avis cars there.

We docked at 6 and had to tender. We arrived at the port a little before 8 and had to wait for the people from the car company. We were on our way by 8:30.

We drove all the way to the village of A and wandered our way back. We had to be back by 4:30 and had time to do what we wanted.

The key is to get out and going and go out as far as you want and work your way back to avoid the traffic and your busses. There are a couple of 1 lane bridges and on our way back passed quite a line up of traffic headed the other way. (thank you to previous posters for this advice!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums