open bar and underage drinking

jayemtom

...I see ‘boys’ who are 16 with full beards and look 30, and ‘men’ who are over 21 and look 14 or 16. How do bartenders know how old they are if they don’t ask for their card?

What I would like to see is everyone’s card swiped for age or waiver reasons. That’s all.

Edited by DaisyL

Just to clarify... it isn't "completely" illegal on land. I can legally allow my underage kids to drink on my own property, and I do. My kids (17 and 20) will have an occasional beer or other cocktail with us, whether it be on a hot summer afternoon on our deck with our neighbors (one of which is a city police officer who confirmed a few years ago it was legal for me to allow my kids to drink on my property) or at a family dinner or one of any other occasions where I deem it to be appropriate. I was raised this way, and I feel modeling and allowing responsible drinking in moderation (in my own home where it's LEGAL or on the ship (international waters) where it's LEGAL or in another country where it's LEGAL is a completely appropriate idea. I personally feel like there is more of a risk for binge drinking or over-indulging if it's seen as a taboo. Having said that, I do not allow them to drink to the point of intoxication, at least not when I'm around. I don't have control over what they do when I'm not around of course, and I'm well aware of that. But I do know when I was growing up, being allowed to drink responsibly at home hugely affected my alcohol consumption when I was hanging out with my friends, compared to those friends that were never allowed to drink at home.

How refreshing to see such a common sense approach to young adults being allowed to consume alcohol under certain circumstances.

Just to clarify... it isn't "completely" illegal on land. I can legally allow my underage kids to drink on my own property, and I do. My kids (17 and 20) will have an occasional beer or other cocktail with us, whether it be on a hot summer afternoon on our deck with our neighbors (one of which is a city police officer who confirmed a few years ago it was legal for me to allow my kids to drink on my property) or at a family dinner or one of any other occasions where I deem it to be appropriate. I was raised this way, and I feel modeling and allowing responsible drinking in moderation (in my own home where it's LEGAL or on the ship (international waters) where it's LEGAL or in another country where it's LEGAL is a completely appropriate idea. I personally feel like there is more of a risk for binge drinking or over-indulging if it's seen as a taboo. Having said that, I do not allow them to drink to the point of intoxication, at least not when I'm around. I don't have control over what they do when I'm not around of course, and I'm well aware of that. But I do know when I was growing up, being allowed to drink responsibly at home hugely affected my alcohol consumption when I was hanging out with my friends, compared to those friends that were never allowed to drink at home.

Where do you live? In Florida, that's "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" (yes, even if it's your own child) which is a Misdemeanor.

I'M NEW to NCL....but what is an OPEN BAR CRUISE?

The Sun and The Sky have sailings that are "OPEN BAR". From the website for Sky:

"FREE OPEN BAR - NORWEGIAN SKY & NORWEGIAN SUN

Norwegian Sky Unlimited Beverage Package

Terms & Conditions

Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 4/22/15 for sailings embarking on or after 1/04/2016 – guests will receive complimentary beverages which include designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay*. Does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, souvenir items or wine stations. Two (2) beverages per transaction. Your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase and consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. *NOTE: Sky Open Bar may exclude Chartered Sailings. Please contact the organizer of your cruise for details.

Norwegian Sun Unlimited Beverage Package

Terms & Conditions

Effective for Norwegian Sun 3- and 4-Day Bahamas and 4- and 5-Day Cuba sailings from Port Canaveral beginning May 2018, guests will receive complimentary beverages which include designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay*. Does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, souvenir items or wine stations. Two (2) beverages per person per transaction. Your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase and consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. *NOTE: Sun Open Bar may exclude Chartered Sailings. Please contact the organizer of your cruise for details."