All inclusive and under age drinking

Hello

Something that has been puzzling me since I got back from Marella Explorer. Because the ship is All Inclusive, in the buffet restaurant there was a self service tap for wine and lager. Also often in public areas they laid out various drinks for people to help themselves to (such as entry to the theatre, for the deck party etc).

It got me thinking to how they enforce the age restriction for alcohol? It seems it would be quite easy for a 16/17 year old to pick up a glass without anyone noticing or checking. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe. I was just thinking about the 'mature'' looking teenagers. My Niece IS over 18, but looks only about 15 (possible even less), she never got challenged. Although when we got table service in the bar's, the bar tenders were often shocked she was over 18 and had to do a double take with the card. But could happily help herself to drinks from the self-service areas.

When we did a Central American cruise our daughter was 17 and was allowed to drink wine at dinner. She had something on her lanyard that said she was over 16 but under 18. However, we may have been asked if we allowed it - which we would as we then lived in a country where the drinking age was 16.