Help please: Island Princess Minisuites -- Balcony vs. Oceanview

ModestMeans

Planning a Hawaii r/t from L.A. on Island Princess. Looking at Cat. AF Oceanview minisuite vs. Cat. AD minisuite with balcony. AD fare is about 10% greater but AF is larger as it encloses the space otherwise devoted to balcony.

For those who have taken this trip, how much did you use -- or miss having -- a balcony. Was the extra room in the AF of particular value? All input welcome.

Thanksl,

Jim

Hi Jim, I haven't taken the Island to Hawaii and but did just get back from 10 days onboard the Coral Princess doing the Panama Canal. I decided on the AF oceanview minisuite despite what others said about it. I was told that it would be very rough at the front of the ship and that I would miss the balcony. I would have to disagree with those opinions, which were the majority by the way. I enjoyed the cabin immensely. The extra space was really appreciated especially for the longer itinerary. There was an unbelievable amount of storage space in this cabin. There are two good sized shelving units in the cabin which the minis with balconies don't have. I didn't miss the balcony at all, there is the forward open deck at the end of the hall which was literally two door away from the cabin for the few times I wanted to be outside, but not on deck with others. Also for the money you save, I think it is a great cabin and I would book another like it again in a heartbeat. I just wish there were more of these on the other ships as well.

Planning a Hawaii r/t from L.A. on Island Princess. Looking at Cat. AF Oceanview minisuite vs. Cat. AD minisuite with balcony. AD fare is about 10% greater but AF is larger as it encloses the space otherwise devoted to balcony.

For those who have taken this trip, how much did you use -- or miss having -- a balcony. Was the extra room in the AF of particular value? All input welcome.

Thanksl,

Jim

Hi Jim,We were in an AF for 1 night when we had a problem with our regular mini-suite on Island Princess.If I remember correctly,there was an additional set of drawers where the window was.I don't think that it had that much more room than a balcony mini because of the shape of the ship.I would go with the balcony anytime.

Hello, I haven't been in either type of Minisuite to Hawaii. I have been in a AD Mini on the Star. We went to Hawaii, on the Island, last April and booked a Cat BA Balcony. It had a smaller bathroom than a mini, no couch, and no second tv, but we had a great time, and used our balcony a LOT! We had plenty of room. If you don't want to bump up to an AD, but do want a balcony, check out the Balcony cabins............. We spent a lot of time in our cabin, and on our balcony, and did not miss the mini. I guess it is all in what your priority is. The Caribe Deck has great balconies.............half covered, half open.........not all open like the Dolphin Deck balconies were.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide to do.........it was our favorite cruise so far!

Have been in an AA minisuite at the front of the ship [baja 210, Panama Canal cruise] and an AB minisuite near the front [Caribe 221, Alaskan cruise] on the Coral, the Island's sister ship. I also have cruised in Hawaii in the past when there were no balconies---1985!---had an outside cabin.

I do not think the forward location is a problem, except that on the Pacific it is rougher than on the Atlantic or Caribbean. I do think that having a balcony is wonderful especially around the gorgeous Hawaiian Islands!! I would go with the AD w/balcony!

I think that you'll enjoy your crossing much more with a balcony--either a mini or a balcony room

Nice to have open many times that you are not even outside

Have a great cruise

Nancy;) ;)

I think those AF cabins are great - but I am not convinced that a balcony is as necessary as many others think.

The extra space in the AF can be very handy.

I also don't agree with the poster who says the Pacific is rougher than the Atlantic. I've had more rough trans-Atlantics than I have had rough trans-Pacifics. (And Pacific does roughly translate to smooth or gentle!)

Just another point, the AF minisuites are 302 sq ft while the total space in the other minis are less than 300 sq ft. I've been in the AF and also the other minis and the extra space is very noticable. If you can afford the extra money and would like to go outside and be in a private space, go for the balcony. On the other hand, if money is a bit of an issue, then go for the AF mini. When we booked it, the price was the same as that for a regular balcony cabin, hundreds less than the mini with balcony. Just my feelings on it. Either way I'm sure you cruise will be wonderful, how could it not be on a Princess ship.

Archived