First Glance at AMA Danube Cruises

Tedferg

Investigating our first river cruise.

AMA Waterways has five Danube Cruises, at first glance they look very similar. Some sail from Nuremberg and others from Vilshoven. It seems cumbersome to me - is there an easy way to distinguish these options without scouring all itineraries for differences ?

Also under 'Dates & Prices' I can get a feel for price by month but next option is 'Get a Quote'. This too seems cumbersome, I am used to Ocean Cruise lines where you can do a test booking to see what cabins are available, total price including taxes etc.

After quite a bit of research, we just recently booked our first river cruise (Danube) with AMA. As far as comparing the options, I knew I wanted to visit Nuremburg so that narrowed it down considerably. I did find it much easier to flip back and forth through the paper brochure rather than online so if you haven't already ordered one, I'd definitely recommend that. Also, look at all the ports to see if there's somewhere you don't want to miss.

After all my research, I did finally hit the "get a quote" button. They ask if you're working with a travel agent and my answer being 'no', they ended up having a travel agent contact me. My conclusion is that you can't book direct with AMA like you can with some other river cruise lines and ocean cruise lines. I did some more research online but really didn't find anyone offering different prices than what is stated on the AMA website for this particular cruise so did end up booking through the agent they'd referred me to. I was able to see cabin availability by starting a booking as you mention using one of the large online cruise agencies so was able to tell the travel agent exactly which cabin I wanted. I could have booked it through the online site as well, but decided to give the travel agent a try. Hope this helps!

Edited by Brickwood
typo

Brickwood that helps a lot, thanks, especially the point about using a printed brochure!

It seems from other comments that river cruise lines do not discount via TA as ocean lines do.