Carnival Liberty: Eastern Caribbean Excursion

gquest

Hello everyone,

I have seen quite a few reviews for the Carnival Liberty's 8 day eastern Caribbean cruise, but none of them really get to in-depth when it comes to the excursions. I was hoping someone out there could give me some suggestions or insight into the ports of call for this cruise. Thanks !!

gquest- The Bio-bay kayak is so awesome when there is no moon out. Just spectacular- amazing! I just hope you'll be cruising at a time when the moon is not out cause you'd sure hate to miss that awesome excursion. :D

did the eastern caribbean dec10. in san juan went to parrot club for a drink, most things were closed. in st thomas we docked at crown bay which stunk, got a taxi to town, got on the ferry to st john. went to cinammon bay and trunk bay. took the ferry back to town, got another cab to the port.

in antigua went on eli's eco tour--all day prebooked directly with antiguaadventures.com . In tortola walked to the ferry (no tendering), took the 9am speedy's ferry to virgin gorda and the 12:30 back. Had time to go to the baths and have a drink at the top before taking speedys bus back to the ferry. in Nassau booked a room so we would have access to all the grounds, pools, beach, slides, etc. any other questions? let me know medudley@aol.com

Speedy's Ferry has a SPECIAL that some don't know about when going to the Baths in Virgin Gorda. It costs $35 and you get the ferry ride over at 9 annd the open air bus ride right to the Baths (and you climb down to them and have a wonderful day long past when the people who paid for the ship's tour have had to leave) It also includes LUNCH at a pleasant little island place and the bus ride back to the ferry at 4:30 or you can take one of the earlier or later ferries back to the ship. We absolutely loved our day there (take at least a snorkel and mask...don't need to pack those bulky fins) and the ship tour people were jealous we were staying longer than their little few hour stay. If you google Speedy's Ferry, you can read about this special.

JOYTRAVELS

On our 12/10 Liberty Eastern Caribbean we did the Bio - Kayak tour in San Juan. Unfortunately the moon was about 3/4 full that night and no clouds to cover it. It took about 2 hours to drive to the kayak point (we got in at 5pm so we were in the middle of their rush hour). You will not have time for anything else in SJ if you do this tour. The tour itself, I'm not the best to ask, was OK. I don't swim and I've never been in a kayak before. Let's just say it wasn't the most relaxing evening for myself or my husband. :p The kayaks are 2-person kayaks. If you are by yourself, they will pair you up with someone, either another single guest or one of the guides.

St. Thomas - we booked a day sail with High Pockets. This is a private charter. It's a 42 foot sailboat and will take only 6 passengers. They had a taxi pick us up at the ship and drive us back at the end of the day. Kathleen is the captain and she's very friendly and easy going. If you have any kids going with you she's great with them. We had an 11 year old who has Downs Syndrome and both Kathleen and Chris, her first mate, were great with him. There is a review written on the POC board by PACURN, we were with them on the boat.

In Antigua we just walked around on our own and took a shuttle up to Nelson's Dockyard. I know people who did a tour with Lawrence of Antigua and they had a great time. The pictures they came back with were awesome and I was bummed that we chose not to go. They booked this privately. If you go to the Antigua POC board you should be able to find the info.

Tortola - My husband did a kayak tour thru the ship. He wasn't very impressed by it. The cost was $65 and was supposed to be 3 hours. They were back in 2. After that, we just walked around.

Nassau - walked around on our own.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

On our 12/10 Liberty Eastern Caribbean we did the Bio - Kayak tour in San Juan. Unfortunately the moon was about 3/4 full that night and no clouds to cover it. It took about 2 hours to drive to the kayak point (we got in at 5pm so we were in the middle of their rush hour). You will not have time for anything else in SJ if you do this tour. The tour itself, I'm not the best to ask, was OK. I don't swim and I've never been in a kayak before. Let's just say it wasn't the most relaxing evening for myself or my husband. :p The kayaks are 2-person kayaks. If you are by yourself, they will pair you up with someone, either another single guest or one of the guides.

St. Thomas - we booked a day sail with High Pockets. This is a private charter. It's a 42 foot sailboat and will take only 6 passengers. They had a taxi pick us up at the ship and drive us back at the end of the day. Kathleen is the captain and she's very friendly and easy going. If you have any kids going with you she's great with them. We had an 11 year old who has Downs Syndrome and both Kathleen and Chris, her first mate, were great with him. There is a review written on the POC board by PACURN, we were with them on the boat.

In Antigua we just walked around on our own and took a shuttle up to Nelson's Dockyard. I know people who did a tour with Lawrence of Antigua and they had a great time. The pictures they came back with were awesome and I was bummed that we chose not to go. They booked this privately. If you go to the Antigua POC board you should be able to find the info.

Tortola - My husband did a kayak tour thru the ship. He wasn't very impressed by it. The cost was $65 and was supposed to be 3 hours. They were back in 2. After that, we just walked around.

Nassau - walked around on our own.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Kiwi Girl: How would you rate the visability of the bioluminescent dinoflagellates, given the 3/4 moon and no clouds? Could you observe anything?

Not good. They brought out a canapy cover and passed it around. They told people to pull it over their heads to the water and then splash your hand and you'll see a little bit. I didn't do this (again being a non-swimmer/kayaker) but my husband did and others said they saw a bit.

They did tell us that it wasn't so much the moon that makes the difference as it is the temperature. Basically the absolute best time to see it is in the summer.

When are you going on your cruise?

Kiwigirl: I wil be in San Juan on March 6, 2005. I have been thinking about canceling this tour because there will be considerable moon light the day we are there (see link below). Any alternative suggestions?

http://www.biobay.com/cd/webhtml/moonwatch.htm

Wow. With that information I would probably cancel knowing what I do now.

If you just want to go for the experience of kayaking at night then I guess it would be ok. I thought there was another option that they offered if there was a full moon, but I don't recall what it was.

As for alternatives, I can't really say since we did this. Based on the lines for the other tours offered it seemed that the shopping tour was quite popular. Also the horseback tour had a long line. The bacardi factory - I heard mixed results and the line for it wasn't as long as others.

I think it's the historic walk tour that talks about the architecture of the buildings. People said it wasn't so great because it was to dark to see any details.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Archived