Rental car from airport question

JackieH

I wasnt sure what section to post this in.

We are going on Carnival Valor in Aug 2006. It seems that airfare is cheaper flying into Ft Lauderdale then Miami. We will fly in the night before, and stay at my parents who live in the area. If we get a rent a car from FLL airport and drive ourself to the ship, can you do this? We dont want to park the car there and be charged for extra days.

Can somebody explain to me how to do this?

We figured it be cheaper to rent a car going and company, instead of paying for a limo or cab for the 5 of us.

Any suggestions on a cheaper way. I figure we will stay the night with my parents before hand, and stay the night with them before we fly out as well. So we would want a rent a car back back from Miami?

Any thoughts, suggestions, cheaper ways to do this?

Thanks.

Renting a car is usually the least expensive way between FLL and Miami, but there are no rental car companies AT the Port of Miami. Some rental car companies will however shuttle you from their MIA airport locations to and from the Port of Miami. Hertz has a downtown Miami location, and Avis has just opened one as well, those are both 5 minutes or so from the port.

Thank you for your help. I will check out the 2 rental car companies. So do you think they will have a shuttle to pick us from the port of Miami terminal?

I was wondering if anybody has done it this way before.

Renting a car for 5 people youw ill need a van. Dont forget to figure in Luggage for all 5 people.

I am renting a vehicle in FLL to go to Miami for the same reason you stated. its only gonna cost me less then 60 bucks to rent a van overnight.. drop it off then take the free shuttle to the port.

(drop off your luggage first before you take the car back.

Renting a car for 5 people youw ill need a van. Dont forget to figure in Luggage for all 5 people.

I am renting a vehicle in FLL to go to Miami for the same reason you stated. its only gonna cost me less then 60 bucks to rent a van overnight.. drop it off then take the free shuttle to the port.

(drop off your luggage first before you take the car back.

I concur...drop off the luggage first...makes for an easier cab/shuttle ride back to the port from the rental drop off.

We used Hertz last year from FLL and dropped off at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. The cab ride was about $5 back to the port...about 5 minute ride !!

Good luck !!!

Here's our plan--There are 12 of us flying into FLL. We arrive Saturday afternoon. We have reserved 3 minivans (plenty of room for luggage that way!) thru Dollar for $45 each. On Sunday we will drop off everyone (except the 3 drivers) and the luggage at the port. They will return the cars to Dollar @ the Miami airport. Dollar has a shuttle that will bring them back to the port. After the cruise, we will call Dollar, they will send the shuttle to pick us up, and we'll be on our way. Some will head to FLL to catch a plane, and the rest will explore the Everglades before heading to FLL to fly home.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly! We made our reservations online and then I called a spoke with someone in the Miami office to make sure we could do it.

• 1 month later...

Jackie, we booked a shuttle from the Miami airport to the cruise ship terminal. I think we paid $13.00 PP for our shuttle, but we had just flown in from New Orleans. If you return your rental car at the airport, the car rental company *may* have a shuttle to the cruise ship terminal. Check with your rental car agency, see if they provide a shuttle.

Karen

Archived