Olden - Loen Skylift

Thinking of going to the Loen Skylift near Olden

Anyone have experience of this?

The cost of approx £47 pp for an return trip is putting us off a little. I note there is a restaurant at the top, I hate to think how much food will be up there if that’s the cost of the just to,get up there!

Would like to hear from people who have used the lift and experienced it, and if you thought it was value for money.

I know Norway is expensive at the best of times, and I guess the weather would dictate the value, IE if it’s very cloudy / foggy etc probably not worth going up!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's expensive, and you aren't the first person on these forums to consider not going due to the expense. If you look on tripadvisor, you can see the photographs, which accurately convey the beauty of this spot when the weather is clear. Whether or not this is worth it honestly depends on your financial situation, and both the weather here, and also the weather in your other locations. The view was amazing here, but it was also amazing in Geiranger and Flam. Our trip to Norway had horrible weather in most of the cities, and that's the risk you take with a cruise since you only get one day at the ports. We really couldn't appreciate the beautiful views from the funicular in Bergen (but went anyway since we knew our kids would love the ride up and playground there). If you have the financial resources and good weather it's going to be a highlight, but if you are lucky in your other ports you might be able to have an amazing views there for less. The food in the restaurant was amazing, but unsurprisingly incredibly expensive.

For us, I'd say it was worth it but we were traveling with two small children that limited our options (we can't hike pulpit rock for example) and we had bad luck in other cities that might have provided a similar view (for example we needed to travel in mid-may due to the fact that my youngest was two and needed a kids club on Cunard. The only cruise that visited Flam and Geiranger was in mid- may but the road to the Geiranger skywalk didn't open until 3 days after we visited Geiranger). And as I noted the weather was not ideal in most of the cities, so anything that worked seemed more special than it might have otherwise. So for us it was worth it but we had a lot of other issues going on that hopefully you won't face.

Edited by kitkat343