San Juan with Kids

Hammy1234

Hello,

My family (myself, husband and kids age 4 and 7) will be in San Juan when we sail on Oasis in August. We can't settle on what to do while we are there. We were thinking El Yunque since we love the outdoors?

Has anyone done something great in San Juan while travelling with kiddos?

Thanks!

Tell them that we built these great castles/forts over the centuries to ward off pirates and what not. That should get them excited. El Yunque is also beautiful. I'd recommend a guided excursion since access is limited while the U.S. Forest Service rebuilds and the forest recovers from last year's storms. Great opportunity to learn about the life cycle of rain forests and their relationship to hurricanes. You could probably do El Yunque in the morning and the forts in the afternoon.

If you're arriving in San Juan for a port of call, getting out to El Yunque and back could be a challenge. Add to that the fact that the damage from last year is still quite significant. My wife and I will be in San Juan at the very beginning of next month and have opted to stay in town rather than venture out.

As the previous poster said, there are the forts which are - for the ages you're talking - probably lost on them. :) However, if it's a nice day, outside El Morro there are always dozens of people flying kites...could consider packing some and letting that add to the experience of seeing the fort.

We were in San Juan in early March, and our four year old loved El Morro. He loved exploring all the passageways, stairs, and little spots. He had a blast. Afterwards we played in the grassy lawn area in front of the fort and walked throughout the old city along the walls. It was great for his age! There was also a marching demonstration by some re-enacters so he was engaged by that as well.

One day we will take him to El Yunque but not until he’s older and can last on an all day excursion...

We're in San Juan with our grandchildren ages 4 and 6 in January 2018. Made a booklet of things to see along our walking tour from port to Fort. Like a scavenger hunt. They loved looking at the booklet to search for the next item on our walking trail. They loved Fort Marro. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

We took our boys there in 2016 (ages at the time: 3 and 8) and we took our younger son and niece this last February (2018) when they were both 6. They all liked the forts, just climbing on things there and running on the big lawn at El Morro. There are also random cats that live down by El Morro that my older son just adored. Obviously, I didn't let him pet them or anything, but he is a big animal lover and just seeing them made him happy. One tip: if it's really hot out and your kids are not good walkers, do NOT walk all the way around El Morro. They have a boardwalk thing that's really cool, but there's not a lot of shade. When we took it, we didn't realize how long it was and the kids got tired and cranky.