Scooter Rental near tender area ??

jsaadat

It was the best day of our cruise. We got off the tender and there was a pirate across the street. I asked about scooter rentals and he told me to go to the street light (to the left when you get off the tender) and make a right. The store was on the left just a hundred feet up the street. Its a little store with scooters parked outside. He told me to tell them the pirate sent us. A very short walk from the pier. They were wonderful and gave us alll day rental for $30 total each scooter and covered the cost of insurance for us. We rode our scooters all the way to Rum Point (about an hour but easy to find), snorkeled there (plenty of room under seat for storage), had lunch, and scootered back (45 minutes-we felt a little more comfortable on the left side of the road by this time). A side note: I had heard about Scooter and Wheels rental. We stopped at their kiosk booth in a parking lot on the way to the other place. The three women acted like I was annoying them by asking questions and their prices were higher. I'm am so glad I said no thanks and walked a little further to the other place. I don't have the name of the store here at work with me. Let me know if you are interested and I will look it up when I get home.

Hello all,

That is really cool to know that it is safe to drive a scooter in GC. We do it evertime we are in Key West. We always have a blast. We will have to do it next time. We are renting a car this time and going to Rum Point. It would be awesome to rent scooters and go to Rum Point. I don't know if I could drive a scooter that fast. I am a bit of a chicken. :D Well, thanks for the great ideal. Take Care.

Hey rpbcouple,

I would definitely be interested in learning the name of that store! Scootering sounds like a lot of fun; Rum Point looks beautiful ...

Do I have to say, "Arrrrr" after I say "The pirate sent me"? :-)

Jimma: The questions are:

What is a pirate's favorite letter? " Arrrr"

How much does a pirate pay to have his ears pierced? "A buck-an-ear"

If the pirate isn't there, he said to go to the shop and ask for Mr. Linbern and they will give you a good deal. As soon as I said Mr. Linbern they said "Oh the pirate sent you"

Anyway...The place is called Lerita's Cycle Rental & Souvenirs. Its on Fort Street. Its the first light to the left if you get off the tender at the North Terminal. They gave us a map and directions to Rum Point. There were 9 ships in port that day and we didn't have to have reservations. We didn't see more than six to eight scooters on the road on our way to Rum Point.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the info RP.

We will gto scooter this time. Just wondering if you think it the scooters can be booked online ?? Lost of ships in the same day we are. I dont want to miss out.

Thanks,

J

• 4 weeks later...

Doea anyone know what the driving age is for the scooters? My daughters and I want to snorkel but the boys would rather 4 wheel or ride scooters if they can't find a 4 wheeler location. I was wondering if my 17 y.o. would be able to drive his own?? Thanks for any help.:)

I personally would not recommend riding the scooters to Rum Point. We did this a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the most harrowing experiences of my life! It took us about 2 hours to get there because I was afraid to drive too fast, and we were being passed by SEMIS! The road to Rum Point was not made for scooters at all.

If you're used to riding two-wheeled vehicles with motors and feel safe driving 40 MPH on them, then more power to you, but just wanted to warn others that it will take a lot longer to get there if you drive more slowly.

It didn't help that my husband wiped out and broke his leg, but that's a whole other story! (Lesson: if you have never ridden a scooter before, Grand Cayman is not the place to do it!)

We also found out that the ship strongly discourages the renting of scooters by employees because so many people have accidents on them.

I rode a scooter in Key West and this was not anything like that. I was practically like riding a scooter on I-95!

Call me a scaredy cat...but it was SCARY!!

Greta

Archived