What do you think I should do post-cruise?

tiffnicole_24

OK after reading much of the board I still can't decide what the best thing to do is. Here is the details. We got off our cruise(Miami port) on April 9th then leave out of FLL on the 10th. We want to find a nice hotel (preferably with a Jacuzzi suite to end our vaction on a high note) We would like to be at least near food and something fun to do that is walking distance since we don't get to experince Miami/ Ft. lauderdale area very often. Should we stay at south beach or somewhere in Miami and just get a cab or shuttle to take us to Fll(will that be super exspnensive)? or should we stay at Ft. lauderdale? We are trying to stay under $200 a night. If you could give me suggestions on what would be the best option it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

A Jacuzzi suite in Miami or Fort Lauderdale for under $200 per night during Spring Break? Good luck with THAT one! :eek:

You won't want to take a cab between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, that will cost almost half of what you want to spend on a hotel room. ;) The best thing would be to rent a car.

your right the one I did find was in Hialeah for under $200, but that seemed to far away. The rental car probably would be a better deal. is there one that will pick me up post cruise at the port to go get the car or will i probably have to get a shuttle there then pick up the car. Thanks for the help:p

Check hotels near or on the Broadwalk on Hollywood Beach. It is in Broward County and may even be a little closer to FLL airport than the FLL beaches.

I think Hollywood Beach is one of the prettiest beaches in South Florida.

For some reason, Hollywood Beach is a little cheaper than Miami to its immediate south and FLL to its immediate north.

Since you are staying a Sunday night, you have a little more leverage than a Saturday night stay but you've still picked one of the busiest weeks of the year.

My favorite is the Greenbriar Beach Resort which is a lovely mom and pop motel very close to the Broadwalk.

The Broadwalk is an oceanfront pedestrian only (bikes and skate also) road that is 2 1/2 miles long that has shops and restaurants. I can't give you food recommendations for the Broadwalk because the restaurants are less than stellar but you can find fried seafood, burgers, pizza, etc.

For more info: www.Sunny.org

your right the one I did find was in Hialeah for under $200, but that seemed to far away. The rental car probably would be a better deal. is there one that will pick me up post cruise at the port to go get the car or will i probably have to get a shuttle there then pick up the car. Thanks for the help:p

Hialeah is a long way from everything and don't even think of staying out there unless you're quite fluent in Spanish.

Yes, several of the rental car companies will pick you up at the Port of Miami and shuttle you to their MIA airport locations to get a car. Hertz & Avis also have locations in downtown Miami. You can get a small car for 24 hours for less than the cost of transportation between Miami & Fort Lauderdale, plus you'll have the added advantage of having transportation to do some exploring and go out to eat.

Thanks guys this helped out alot. I booked it over a year ago for our Anniversary (April 3rd) because I know every year would come around and we would be like "we should of taken a cruise" and never done it. I didn't even think about it till I got on the boards but wouldn't change it anyways but now I can better plan for future cruises(hopefully) to come. Thanks agian!

Check hotels near or on the Broadwalk on Hollywood Beach. It is in Broward County and may even be a little closer to FLL airport than the FLL beaches.

I think Hollywood Beach is one of the prettiest beaches in South Florida.

For some reason, Hollywood Beach is a little cheaper than Miami to its immediate south and FLL to its immediate north.

Since you are staying a Sunday night, you have a little more leverage than a Saturday night stay but you've still picked one of the busiest weeks of the year.

My favorite is the Greenbriar Beach Resort which is a lovely mom and pop motel very close to the Broadwalk.

The Broadwalk is an oceanfront pedestrian only (bikes and skate also) road that is 2 1/2 miles long that has shops and restaurants. I can't give you food recommendations for the Broadwalk because the restaurants are less than stellar but you can find fried seafood, burgers, pizza, etc.

For more info: www.Sunny.org

BlueHerons,

I've never been to Hollywood Beach. I'm intrigued by the "Broadwalk". Was that a Freudian Slip or is there really a broadwalk there?

I've never been to Hollywood Beach. I'm intrigued by the "Broadwalk". Was that a Freudian Slip or is there really a broadwalk there?

It is the only beach with no road between the beach & the pedestrian walk. It is a paved walkway called the "Broadwalk." A 2.2 mile long promenade, perfect for exercise, walking, jogging, cycling or rollerblading. Shops, sidewalk cafes, motels & hotels on it's West side and the beach on it's East side. A most pleasant beach for evening walks since there is no sun glaring in your face like there is on West coast FL beaches. The unobstructed sunrises are spectacular. Watch distant cruise ships as they head to and from Port Everglades. ;)

It is the only beach with no road between the beach & the pedestrian walk. It is a paved walkway called the "Broadwalk." A 2.2 mile long promenade, perfect for exercise, walking, jogging, cycling or rollerblading. Shops, sidewalk cafes, motels & hotels on it's West side and the beach on it's East side. A most pleasant beach for evening walks since there is no sun glaring in your face like there is on West coast FL beaches. The unobstructed sunrises are spectacular. Watch distant cruise ships as they head to and from Port Everglades. ;)

WoW! Sounds like a wonderful place for my wife and I to spend a few days post-cruise. We're not much for lying on the beach but love to walk along the beach. Thanks very much for the info.

If you are looking for something memorable to do which will end your trip on a high note, check out the King Tut exhibit at the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art. The exhibit will be there through April 23.

It has been 30 years since the King Tut artifacts last left Egypt (remember the long lines in the late 70's? Steve Martin doing his "King Tut" song?). Ft. Lauderdale is one of only 3 stops in North America. I believe the others are Los Angeles and somewhere in Canada.

If you have a rental car, you can easily get to the museum. You can purchase tickets in advance ($25 with various discounts available) at the museum's website, http://www.moafl.org. The tickets are hourly, timed entry, so you can be sure you will get in at the time you want.

It has been 30 years since the King Tut artifacts last left Egypt (remember the long lines in the late 70's? Steve Martin doing his "King Tut" song?). Ft. Lauderdale is one of only 3 stops in North America. I believe the others are Los Angeles and somewhere in Canada.

If you have a rental car, you can easily get to the museum. You can purchase tickets in advance ($25 with various discounts available) at the museum's website, http://www.moafl.org. The tickets are hourly, timed entry, so you can be sure you will get in at the time you want.

Actually there are 4 North American stops. It's already been to Los Angeles and Chicago and Philadelphia are the other 2 North American stops after it leaves Fort Lauderdale. ;)

The Museum is a 10 minute cab ride from the SE 17th Street hotels, or you can also easily get there by Water Taxi... http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Archived