Captain's Reception?

VoyageVirgin

My DW and I are cruising on the Sun on the Feb 11th and 18th sailings and as well are flying into Miami four days early to do some sight seeing and visit family on the Gulf coast. Since we will be traveling for 20 days (including a couple days in Toronto and a post cruise night in Miami), packing is going to be a bit of a challenge considering airline luggage restrictions. We have been planning to stick with the "resort casual" attire and forego any formal clothing.

Here's the question. We are staying in the same AD penthouse stateroom for both cruises and are wondering if this entitles us to an invite to the Captains reception? I've read some postings that seem to indicate that it does, but haven't found anywhere that states it for a fact.

As well the second cruise would make us technically "Latitude eligible", if that makes any difference. Going to the reception would not make or break our vacation in any way but sounds like it might be a fun and interesting experience.

We would make room in our luggage for something more formal if we knew that an invitation was automatic and a sure thing, but definitely would not if it was just a "maybe yes, maybe no".

Or maybe we could just show up in cutoffs!:eek: Just kidding!

Sorry to be so long winded for such a simple question.

Resort casual attire is always appropriate on NCL ships.

On my last cruise on the Sun, not one passenger attended the Captain's Latitudes reception in anything more formal than resort casual. It was held in the Stardust Theatre, where he was on the stage, and we were in the seats.

NCL officers don't even shake hands with anyone anymore, as a precaution against catching a stomach virsus, Norwalk flu. But they were available to answer questions after the party.

I believe AD Penthouse cabins do get invited to a Captain's reception, but I wouldn't necessarily pack very formal clothes for the occasion. I would wear slacks and a collared button down oxford shirt, and a cocktail dress for women.

AD passengers do get an invitation to the Captains VIP reception - dress is resort smart. Many dress up but most dress a little above the normal resort casual. I worn a sports coat no tie and was quite comfortable.

I agree regarding the Captains reception and, for your Latitudes reception....passengers have even come in from the pool (with cover-ups on).

You just shake hands with the crew as they greet you and they then go up on stage.

Very informal. Cocktails served.

Enjoy your cruise:)

OK first cruise with NCL every other cruise line I have cruised with the captains reception is open to all passengers! Is this not the way with NCL? As well our friends are latitudes members can we tag along with them to teh party?

OK first cruise with NCL every other cruise line I have cruised with the captains reception is open to all passengers! Is this not the way with NCL? As well our friends are latitudes members can we tag along with them to teh party?

We have always received an "invitation" to the Captains reception in our suite. So, I assume, not open to all passengers.

We've never had anyone come along to the Latitudes reception but I'm sure you can do it. They just "collect" the letter as you walk in.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Thanks folks for the quick responses. We feel better with the info coming from some of CC's veterans. :) Not having to bring formal wear will make the packing a bit easier.

We are thinking of sneaking into Miami to find a laundromat between cruises while everyone else is embarking and debarking. But that's only if the clothing is not holding out as planned.

Regards

Thanks folks for the quick responses. We feel better with the info coming from some of CC's veterans. :) Not having to bring formal wear will make the packing a bit easier.

We are thinking of sneaking into Miami to find a laundromat between cruises while everyone else is embarking and debarking. But that's only if the clothing is not holding out as planned.

Regards

If you DO NOT have to debark..do your laundry on the ship;)

This is not the Latitudes Party, or the open Captains Reception - both will occur at different times on the ship. This is a third VIP Cocktail Party for selected passengers - small group. You can go just book a penthouse:)

This is not the Latitudes Party, or the open Captains Reception - both will occur at different times on the ship. This is a third VIP Cocktail Party for selected passengers - small group. You can go just book a penthouse:)

Does the dress still lean toward CC or do a larger percentage of attendees tend to dress up more for this? I'd hate to make my grand entrance wearing a nice polo shirt only to find a room full of tuxes.

Does the dress still lean toward CC or do a larger percentage of attendees tend to dress up more for this? I'd hate to make my grand entrance wearing a nice polo shirt only to find a room full of tuxes.

My experience - On the Sun to Alaska it was held early the same evening as formal night. Most were at least a step above reort casual some in full formal outfits. I as usual threw on my trusty blazzer and was very comfortable. Some as always on NCL in resort casual.

On the Jewel in September it was held in the late afternoon most were in resort smart. It is a VIP party so breat out a nicer shirt and slacks. Many were pure resort casual. Nobody cares in fact what we wear except ourselves. :)

My experience - On the Sun to Alaska it was held early the same evening as formal night. Most were at least a step above reort casual some in full formal outfits. I as usual threw on my trusty blazzer and was very comfortable. Some as always on NCL in resort casual.

On the Jewel in September it was held in the late afternoon most were in resort smart. It is a VIP party so breat out a nicer shirt and slacks. Many were pure resort casual. Nobody cares in fact what we wear except ourselves. :)

Thanks Shoreguy! Now I have a better feeling for what to expect. Blazer and slacks should do the trick. I'm a pretty casual guy but hate feeling like a slob, too.

Archived