AE Mini Suite on Pool Deck

jeauix

I'm new to NCL and am looking at rooms on the Sun for an Alaska trip in July. Does anyone know if the noise from the Observation Lounge is noticeable in the mini-suites? Because we are a bit late booking and only a few mini-suites available? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, what shore excursion would you recommend in Juneau?

I am pleased to have found this site - what a wealth of knowledge from you seasoned travelers.

The AE are great - nobody has complained about noise.

Juneau - one excursion for sure is the Tracy Arm Excursion - leaves from the ship an hour before the Sun and meets up with the ship at Sawyer Glacier. The only way to really get up close to the Glacier. We saw more whales on our trip in 2004 then the whale watching excursions.

200457331_Sun82004136.jpg.f82084924dd0b483b903c86dab1cdfc5.jpg

Shoreguy recommended a great excursion, but I prefer actually walking on a glacier. I recommend taking one of the several Mendenhall Glacier tours when in Juneau. Also, if you do decide to go with Shoreguys recommendation, use the morning to ride the tram up Mount Roberts while waiting for your boat to arrive. If it's a fairly clear day, you can get tremendous views and pictures. The tram is just a short walk from the ship, or a free bus ride depending on where your ship docks. You have to pay to get tickets for the tram, but it isn't expensive. At the top, there's a lodge ran by the local tribe, and there's an eagle santuary too. You can walk for miles. And you can get up and down in less than an hour if you're in a hurry.

Here's a photo from the Mount Roberts tram of the Spirit in 2004, taken before entering the clouds/fog on the way up.

Spirit2.jpg

This picture really shows off the Spirit's teak decks. Just about every other ship in the NCL fleet uses the same blue non-skid paint that the RCI ship in the foreground of this picture uses. That's another thing you'll find missing on the Dawn that the Spirit has, mostly teak decks.

Shoreguy recommended a great excursion, but I prefer actually walking on a glacier. I recommend taking one of the several Mendenhall Glacier tours when in Juneau. .

The good news they can do both that is the beauty of the Tracy Arm Excursion it does not leave until just about the time everyone needs to back onboard.

Archived