Cruising with Toddlers - Appreciate All Advice

We went on a 7 day cruise last September with a 10 month old and 20 month old that turned into a 10-day cruise due to Hurricane Matthew re-routing us. It was on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas, which is a little more open that Carnival boats, but my tips should still be applicable.

My tips are as follows:

•Definitely bring a stroller. Even better if the stroller has an area at the bottom that can hold accessories. Ours also reclined, which allowed the kids to fall asleep in it while we saw shows or hung out in public areas. I'd say for the most part, everyone (staff and guests alike) were very friendly and accommodating of us pushing around a stroller. We are courteous with it though, and don't use it as a battering ram.

•Grab boxes of cereal at breakfast and bagged chips (if available) to keep in the room, our kids liked to snack in between doing stuff.

•Whatever you think you need as far as diapers, clothes, etc...pack 25% extra.

•Dinner was always a struggle for us. On our next cruise, we're going to bring an iPad with movies loaded on it.

•Bring toys to keep in the room.

•As others mentioned, if you can afford a balcony, it's worth it. At the least, I'd get an ocean view.

A simple piece of travel advice.

The rooms are small and getting ready can be stressful in such a small place. To help I packed each of my kids outfits in 1 zip lock bags Shirt , shorts, undies, socks, accessories (hair or belts) all in one bag. So when ever they needed dressed I would just pick a bag and go. No looking for anything. Then I would have a few pairs of neutral stuff in case something gets stained and needs changed.

Time consuming to pack but easy to unpack and then when its time to go home we always had a lot of extra zip locks. My kids now 16 and 14 say they miss their "outfit bags". Once they could dress themselves it was even better. They could pick a bag and go.

We also always bring a pop up hamper for dirty clothing.

Fantastic idea!!!! Great overall ideas in this thread, especially for us first time cruisers!

Interesting thread and really good tips as we are hoping to go on a cruise with our preschooler and infant. As far as strollers, I've read that you can rent one from Carnival when you board. Anyone have any experience with this?

We rented one twice to use while in port. They were pretty good strollers, we were happy. You rent them through Camp Carnival, first come first served until they run out of strollers. You can rent by the day or for the whole trip.

We also did baby wearing. Can't recommend that enough!

Our youngest was 2 1/2 on his first cruise last year. I wasn't prepared for how overwhelmed and scared he would be of things. Things like going through security check-in before boarding to riding an elevator completely freaked him out. I never thought about that kind of thing but he had never been in an elevator before or on an escalator. He was scared when we were walking onto the cruise b/c he thought it was dark in the tunnel that connects to the boat. He wouldn't stay in the kids clubs so that wasn't an option for us. It wasn't for lack of the staff trying he just wouldn't go. At the time he had only stayed with his grandmother so wasn't use to a daycare setting.

You will use the stroller on the boat and off the boat. When we were going to a beach resort at one of the Ports he threw a fit b/c there was no car seat in the car. Which he had never not ridden in a car without a car seat so I'm sure he was freaked out. It took us a while to calm him down and we just kept apologizing to the taxi driver and he said he had 6 kids so he understood. I think I had unrealistic expectations for how he would handle things so that was my fault not his he was just being a toddler. I didn't take enough clothes I didn't think about him going through up to 3 outfits a day (he ate a lot of ice cream it's the only way we could calm him down sometimes). I wasn't prepared and didn't bring enough toys for him to be satisfied with playing on the deck. They can't get in the pool if they aren't potty trained so the pool wasn't an option..and still isn't an option b/c he will only get in a baby pool no big pools. I should have brought more toys for him just to sit poolside with and play with. It may be easier since your 2 kiddos are very close in age..ours are 8 years apart so I felt like I was with the toddler and my husband was with our 11yo. Have fun and just don't be like me and keep your expectations reasonable because I didn't.

I have never been through anything like this on a ship or off with my children when they were toddlers, so hugs to you. It sounds like you had quite a time of it.

We will be arriving at Long Beach the night before.

*So far you did the right thing arriving in Long Beach the nigh before. For the flight you might have some suckers for the take off and landing. The idea of packing a tablet with their favorite movies might help on the plane as well.

Should we bring strollers?

*Bring a stroller by all means. We took our 18 month old on our first cruise and she fell asleep after a full day of fun. Unfortunately we did not bring a stroller so between my husband and I we had to carry her. It was very uncomfortable for both her and us mainly because it was hot.

* if they are not potty trained try to get them to be before you sail. Water is the greatest way to get your kids to sleep for naps and bedtime.

*Talk to both children about the ship (even if they are young) show them pictures from the Carnival sight, Cruise Critic, or the web. Go to the library or book store to read (age appropriate) books on cruising or ships.

we are taking a 6pm Flight back home from Lax.

*My biggest advice to you is DONT arrive at LAX to early! It is the worst laid out airport ever!!!!! My husband and I arrived early after our cruise for our 6pm fight. When we got there we found out that we could not check in our luggage until 4 hrs prior to our fight. Then we had no where to go, place to see and no place to eat because all of that is after their TSA security check, plus our luggage would not fit through the TSA scanners. It was the longest day of our lives. I could not imagine doing this with 2 young ones. Instead rent a car for the day, find something to do nearby with the kids then arrive at the airport within the luggage drop off time. Believe me it's what I would do if we went again.

* Mostly just wing it, you know your kids better than anyone.

Enjoy and take plenty of pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app