QM2 - Newbie questions ...

tartegnin

Have patience, please - my first post on this board, and, unlike you, not a super-experienced cruiser.

My husband and I are planning a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 in July - Southampton-New York for our 10th wedding anniversary (dropping our daughter off with grandparents ...). We haven't booked yet, and I have some questions:

On choosing a cabin: we're thinking of booking a Princess Grill cabin - is it worth it for a transatlantic? I gather that the two main benefits are larger cabin and enhanced dining. I can't imagine using the balcony as much as we would have (we LIVED on the balcony on our honeymoon cruise on the Oriana - Hong Kong to Bombay, so then it was worth the larger room and better balcony), and for such a short cruise, does the "better" dining matter?

On weather: what is the weather like transatlantic in July? Surprisingly difficult info to get - one site I saw suggested temperate, but pretty foggy - again, this will go to whether getting a good balcony is important.

On booking: this is so confusing - any tips on with whom to book? We are living in Switzerland, with no direct Cunard representative listed on their site, and also have residences in UK and US, so I guess we could book from anywhere. Information is different on the Cunard.com (US) and Cunard.co.uk (UK) sites, and when I use the UK booking engine (not available on US), the prices are pretty good, and it seems to offer free airfare back to London from NY. Is airfare usually also included in US fares? Is it possible to upgrade to business class on the airfare? Is it better to book with a travel agent or directly with the cruise line? Does Amex Platinum still include Cunard in its Cruise Privileges (it's not on the site anymore, but someone on this board suggested it might still be on the list)?

Orient Express: how can I find out if this transfer option is available for the July 18 sailing? It looks wonderful! Otherwise, what's the best way to go from the airport to the pier? Does Cunard offer transfer services?

Ship's schedule: how far in advance would you get details on the ship activities? I understand you can book spa services in advance, which would be good, but you wouldn't want to book them during events that you'd like to attend ... also, would want to book hair appointment for formal evening, etc.

Anything else? I've tried to roam through this board for a few days - SOOOOOO helpful, and think we're pretty well decided. (By the way, for those highly critical reviewers who then got flamed - I find generally that highly critical reviews are more helpful than the high-praise reviews, because they bring to light any defects in what would otherwise be a top notch trip - it helps manage expectations, in my book, and makes for a better experience after.) My father and step-mother were on the QM2 last year for Scandanavia and liked the ship well enough, though didn't rave about it, and my father thought the food was quite mediocre. Well, we're mostly going for a romantic trip with lots of time together (in short supply what with full time jobs and a 6 year old to manage!) and some interesting things to do (Oxford lectures are particularly appealing as is the promise of RADA-staffed shows), some mild exercise (especially strolling the decks) and some fresh sea air.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. I'm sure I'll be pestering everyone with more questions as time goes by.

taetegnin - Here's a crack at some of the questions.

Princess class - It really depends if you think that it is worth the extra to get better cabin and dining. I would say no others would say yes. Very personal choice.

Weather - Last july we did a double crossing and had hot sunny weather and calm seas. Again no one can forcast what the Atlantic will do at any time of year.

Booking - Generally booking in USA should be cheaper. We cannot do this easily as UK based, and always use an agent. There are many UK agents offering good rates.

Schedule - It is not easy to find out what entertainment etc will be on offer, but if you go to the spa as soon as you embark you should have no problem fitting in as you wish.

Food - We found it excellent. Again a very personal thing.

You will have a great crossing.

David.

My wife and I did a crossing Southampton to New York last April. We decided to go Princess Grill and although it is more expensive we haven't regretted it. There is more than just enhanced dining and larger cabin.

The suite (1014) was excellent with a super double bed, a full width patio window to the balcony with two uphostered loungers. We had a big walkin wardrobe as well as the usual one so were able to put away our suitaceses and outside coats, shoes, etc. Bathroom had a full size bath with shower over. There is a lovely sofa and table plus chairs so you could invite friends for drinks. Our steward was excellent, always smiling, very attentive and for our wedding anniversary he surpried us by making a display on the bed and in the bath.

Dining was first class plus! It is open dining - arrive when you want without having to arrange beforehand. We had three waiters (for each meal) plus an excellent sommelier for lunch and dinner. We could eat off the copious table d'hote menu or ask for anything off menu (for the next meal). There is so much choice for eating on QM2 but we chose to eat all our meals in the Princess Grill. The Queens Grill Lounge is open to Princess Grill passengers and we had lovely afternoon tea, drinks before dinner and coffee, etc after dinner. It is a small comfortable lounge, never busy and staffed by grill waiters.

There is a Consierge Lounge (deck 9) for Queens and Princess Grill passengers to use. We thought it would be a waste for us as it comes into its own for trips during cruises but it was great. Very helpful staff and we got our tickets for the planetarium from there, were able to arrange our gratuities with them and could have fixed up other things as well. There is also tea/coffee/biscuits, etc.

So, would we go in Princess Grill again ? A resounding Yes.

Reagrading dinning and chossing a Princess Grill cabin vs. Brittania: the previous poster is right, it really is a highly personal choice. But perhaps this perspective is helpful: bear in mind on a crossing you are on the ship the entire time and therefore meals become an even more important than on a crusie where you are on off and hopefully enjoying local foods and shore side resturants in addition to the ship. If you love food and enjoying the dining experience, it might well be worth it to go for the Grill cabin; lunches and dinners, long and luxurious, were a highlight of our crossing, and we were glad to be in Grill class, where we at least has the belief that food and serivce was of a somewhat higher standard (although lately the majority of reports from Brittania have been pretty positive too).

Mike

Boo hoo - having been convinced on the Grill issue by these passionate posts, I got right on to an agent who checked and told me that Princess cabins are all sold out on that trip! Q6 cabins are available, but it's just that much pricier - not sure we want to spend that kind of money ... I think we're going to book the Deluxe Balcony and waitlist the Princess and cross our fingers - we have til Monday to firmly decide, so if there are any suggestions about how to find available cabins (do some places block them) or our chances of clearing a waitlist, that would be helpful. I also noticed that there is an anniversary package on the ship which provides an upgrade - would they upgrade us all the way from deluxe balcony to Queens if there are no Princess?!!!! Our agent gave what I thought was very good advice, which is to only book a cabin we'd be happy with and then hope to clear a wait list or get an upgrade, but to count on neither.

The deluxe cabins look fine and have a good balcony, and I guess we could address the food issue by booking at the Chefs Table or Todds more than we might have. Really, although we both love fine dining and luxury service, we're ok with "less" as long as it's expected. We have many Michelin starred restaurants near us and often are in luxury hotels for personal or business travel, so it's not the ultimate importance for us. Just the time together is the real luxury. I'd just like to make it a bit special, as well.

Thanks for your continuing thoughts, especially about some of the other questions I had. This is a great resource, and I'll hope to contribute myself after the voyage.

I would like to add a positive note about the Britannia restaurant- I am used to fine dining- working in Mayfair London- and often frequent some of the finger london restaurants such as Gordon ramsay establishments, le caprice etc and we found the food in the Britannia to be excellent. In addition, the dining room is magnificent and on the formal nights it is a sight to behold with the candelabras on the table and the quartet playing on the upper level. Ok you may not get the extra choices as in the grill class but please don't think that the Britannia is under par!

On our trip in late June we had a fine start ex Southampton then it turned progressively colder and the seas rougher.

The second night the waves were breaking against the windows in the upper level of Brittania, with the ship pitching. I went to the observation area at the front below the bridge and watched the whole bow dissappear into the water before the spray came clean over my head!!!! (the staff then closed the access)

Temperature during the day was about 5C on deck and with the wind from the movement of the ship it felt much lower........... I still managed to enjoy the hot tubs on the aft ............. just getting out was the problem!!!!

Anyway............ it really is luck........... think of it as nature in action!!

Enjoy

Don't Boo-Hoo the lack of P category.

Got for a Q suite.

MUCH more room than a mini-suite.

Queens Grill is fabulous. Had caviar every night .. and ordered off the menu on the ala carte menu (the whole table ordered the duck one night) a lot!

There is also a Queens Grill ONLY deck (Deck 11 aft) that is quiet and has its own hot tub. In July you certainly will enjoy the weather. I went mid August and had many wonderful naps on the HUGE balcony.

In my Crossing (transatlantic is called a Crossing not a Cruise) the P vs Q5 price was really not that much more per day .. and the service, comp features (liquor in suite as well as HUGE bathroom) made the total experience worth it.

Have already put money down on the Queen Victoria for a Q5 suite in 2008!

BTW .. the tables in the Queens Grill are mainly for two or four. There are very few six or eight top tables. I was traveling alone and was reassigned by Benjamin to a wonderful table for 8 (another single, and three couples). We all met for drinks most evening and then dined as a group about 7:30pm. Most nights we were the LAST ones out of the dining room!

My 'habit' was 9am breakfast then tea at the proper time and dinner at 7:30ish. I skipped most lunches. I never had a meal in the buffet line .. and had no desire to do any of the other restaurants.

Just be aware Queens Grill (and to some degree Princess Grill) on a Crossing is VERY formal. Suit and tie for men on 'informal' nights .. and tux is essentially a requirement for the three formal nights on the Crossing. I ended up using my suit the first night and the last night .. and black tuxes on formal nights and white dinner jackets the remainder of the time.

Enjoy life. Never downgrade! Always upgrade!

regarding the spa bookings, yes, you can make some before you travel, but not all (depends on price mostly I think). you can check on your tv when you arrive what will be happening and when for the whole crossing as I remember and can make your appointments with the spa accordingly on the first day. I don't think they take telephone bookings on embarkation day from your cabin (although it may be available from Queens Grill Suites, or get your butler to do it) so it means a trip to the spa, but they do tours to show you what is available that day which are worthwhile attending - seem to be pretty continuous in the afternoon.

Roz

Orient Express: how can I find out if this transfer option is available for the July 18 sailing? It looks wonderful! Otherwise, what's the best way to go from the airport to the pier? Does Cunard offer transfer services?

We travelled on the Orient Express to Southampton, and it was wonderful! It's an elegant and memorable way to begin your crossing in old-era style! The train pulls up next to the Cunard docks, and you simply exit from the train and enter the terminal while your luggage is transferred. Call Cunard, and they'll tell you if it is available on 7/18. I did have to make my reservation through my TA. Also, since many Brits go on it for special day trips, it can fill up quickly.

Queen's Grill, Princess Grill vs Britannia:

We were in 11088 for the 12/8/05 Caribbean cruise, and it was wonderful! We enjoyed being high on the ship, and the one night of rough weather was barely felt in our room. We were able to sit on our cushioned deck chairs, and because the balcony was deep enough, have them positioned straight out from the doorway. Albeit they were plastic, but that wasn't a issue with us. We had ample storage for our 12 night cruise. Ever since I first saw pictures of the Britannia and its mural, I wanted to sit in front of the mural. I've been to many plush restaurants similar to the QG and PG, but there's nothing more magnificent that dining at the tables on the lower level in front of the mural! We sat at table #85 next to the captain's table, and it was a table for six. One afternoon our companions were called to ask them to switch to the second seating, so that some of the QG and/or PG guests could dine in the Britannia in front of the mural! I also liked to arrive close to 6:00 PM, so that I could watch the people arriving from the main floor entrance or walking down the staircase on either side of the entrance. It was especially lovely on the formal nights! I should mention that we were the only two originally scheduled for the table. Our four companions all were transferred to our table, because they didn't like their original tables on the second level!

One night I had four appetizers and a double salad instead of the listed entrees. I always had double salads. I also had two servings of snails one evening. One of our companions repeatedly liked what her other companions were eating, so she would ask and receive a second entree! Also, our table of six quite often ordered extra desserts. There is a site on the web that exhibits the QG, PG and Britannia menus for multiple evenings, and they are identical! We also requested the night before and received items not on the menu - salmon, baked potato and steamed veggies the last two nights for our healthy reality checks. My grandfather was on the QM! and QE1 in the '60's and had a T-bone steak every evening on both crossings!

CC members met a second time on one of our last ocean-sailing days, and we were all able to see one's QG suite and another's PG suite. They were both lovely, but not as nice for us as being towards the center of the 11th deck! I think that on a six-day crossing you'll be out and about exploring the ship, attending talks and events and probably not in your room.

Booking Spa Appointments:

I was told that you can make your spa appointments up to 21 days before your crossing but not after that date. The phone # listed is 866-860-4662.

UK Cunard offers free flight for return to UK and special upgrading, etc. for anniversary:

The US brochure states that Cunard no longer offers free flight one way. However, the price of the crossing is now substantially reduced. Also, I checked, and the US passengers will not receive a free upgrade, photo, etc. if they are celebrating an anniversary. Instead, we received a congratulatory card from the Cruise Director and a free tiny cake at the table with a serenade by the table staff.

US vs UK pricing:

I think that you should read many of the CC notes from UK passengers. It was noted that if Cunard offers a better price closer to the crossing, UK passengers are never offered the new discount! Also, UK CC members, "baxterburdis" told us at our meeting on the QM2 Caribbean cruise that their PG suite was booked very early and before the 2005 brochure was even printed. When there was a 40% (I think that's what they said) reduction, they were not credited with the savings. After many phone calls, they were upgraded to a QG suite.

Archived