"Make no mistake - this is a campground"

sweetie

I could not discourage people from staying here enough. This was easily the biggest travel disappointment of my entire life. Everything the hotel is promoted as, both on the Web site and in travel books, is absolutely false - other than the fact that it is remote. It is remote. However, here are the major things to know about this "hotel" before going:

The huts are not rustic, they are crude. The bathrooms are completely open to the room and not only do you have to shower in salt water, you cannot flush toilet paper. You have to put your toilet paper - even with feces smeared on it - into the trash can which is exposed to the room. They do not clean your sheets or towels the entire time. The mattresses are so old and uncomfortable that I actually got bruises just from laying on mine.

The staff, while charming, spends much of its time sitting around the restaurant. We recognized that the amount of time they spent sitting around would be better served raking the sea grass off the beach that served as a giant fly and flea nest.

If this all isn't enough to convince you to find another hotel, you should be aware that dinner is a fixed menu and if you don't eat what is prepared for you, you don't eat. That said, the food was the only moderately redeeming aspect of this place.:mad:

I could not discourage people from staying here enough. This was easily the biggest travel disappointment of my entire life. Everything the hotel is promoted as, both on the Web site and in travel books, is absolutely false - other than the fact that it is remote. It is remote. However, here are the major things to know about this "hotel" before going:

The huts are not rustic, they are crude. The bathrooms are completely open to the room and not only do you have to shower in salt water, you cannot flush toilet paper. You have to put your toilet paper - even with feces smeared on it - into the trash can which is exposed to the room. They do not clean your sheets or towels the entire time. The mattresses are so old and uncomfortable that I actually got bruises just from laying on mine.

The staff, while charming, spends much of its time sitting around the restaurant. We recognized that the amount of time they spent sitting around would be better served raking the sea grass off the beach that served as a giant fly and flea nest.

If this all isn't enough to convince you to find another hotel, you should be aware that dinner is a fixed menu and if you don't eat what is prepared for you, you don't eat. That said, the food was the only moderately redeeming aspect of this place.:mad:

WHERE??? You didn't give us the name.:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

I have stayed at this Best Western in Belize City, and the OP is absolutely wrong in every aspect. Must be thinking of some other place. It is neither remote (on the main drag), nor has huts (typical concrete hotel construction) nor must you toss toilet paper in the trash (this is the norm in non-western hotels in Central America, but not here.)

I flew into Belize City on a small plne, after a harrowing day on two small boats, crossing over from Guatemala. I had no reservation as I left in a hurry and it was impossible to plan ahead. I was very glad to get into this place after being in real remote places. This was civizilation will all the comforts of home.

There was even a convenince store just down the street, I went twice for beer refills and watched cable TV till I couldn't stand it anymore. Nice little gardens out back, a patio with parrots, nice pool with tiki bar. Probably a 2 star place over here but a 4 star in Belize.

Archived