Silly question about cave tubing

lnew1gd1

Hi,

My DH and I will be in Belize 2/16/2006 with Carnival's Miracle.

DH wants to do the cave tubing but I am a little nervous. I don't like not knowing what's in the water with me.

Have any of you that have done this excursion experienced anything "bumping" into you from under the water? Any water snakes?

Any one get bit or nibbled on by anything??? Looking for some true responses and maybe some reassurance that it's not that bad.

I'm not paranoid or anything like that...just uncomfortable with the "underwater unknown" !! I am really a pool girl myself. LOL

Thank you for your quick reply!

I needed some reasurrance and your info provided that. Don't mind the minnows and fish.....I do snorkel ----just never been in river water of any kind......like to know what's in there with me! <smile>.

Hi.. we are sailing on the Ncl Dawn in feb. and are wondering if cave tubing is all right for our kids.. we have a 7 and 8 year old.. the cardiologist has said that the 7 yr old can do pretty much anything but parasail... like mom would let him.. ya right.. but i was just wondering if there were many kids on your excursion when you went. or if you thought maybe they should be a little older? thanks for any help you can give..

cheryl

Cave tubing should be fine with the kids. It is a bit of a walk...sssince you mentioned a cardiologist for a child...that is really the only things physical. It was hot and humid, but I am used to that!

My husband cant swim and he was fine.When you get in the water, you can either jump from a large rock (I did) or get in from the side (he did). Actually, the rock jump was the only place that the water was deep.

We went in APril and had very little water...some places we had to pick up the tube and walk. I live near rapids (think Deliverance...15 miles away!!) so I was a bit disappointed that the water wasnt faster. No critters or snakes...I would've moved fast if there was a snake!!!!!!!!!

The tour group we went with (Regie Tours) was wonderful about telling us when we were entering the "butts Up" zones...in other words, when water was shallow, they would yell "Butts Up!" and we would all lift our backsides up to avoid any underwater collisions with rocks. We saw no snakes, or any fish either. I am a total non swimmer, and was very comfortable in the water. It is a nice, lazy tour, no scary rapids, just smooth sailing!

I have the same worrys! I dont like things in the water with me,so,I normally dont go in the ocean ...I read on one post that one group saw a couple of snakes and their guides just picked them up and tossed them away ...that freaked me out! Im happy to hear that no one else has seen this.Im looking forward to doing this..(I think!) :) One poster said the water was COLD..how cold do you think I should expect it the first week of Feb??? Thanks,Dot

Hi.. we are sailing on the Ncl Dawn in feb. and are wondering if cave tubing is all right for our kids.. we have a 7 and 8 year old.. the cardiologist has said that the 7 yr old can do pretty much anything but parasail... like mom would let him.. ya right.. but i was just wondering if there were many kids on your excursion when you went. or if you thought maybe they should be a little older? thanks for any help you can give..

cheryl

Cheryl,

If you want to do this and have concerns for your children check out www.cave-tubing.com

I have been emailing Yhony from "the Native Way" with my all my concerns and he is very reassuring. He takes young children and elder adults and watches out for them like they are his own family. They even take non-swimmers and stick with them like glue!

The reviews on cruise critic about cave-tubing.com are all great. Haven't seen a bad one yet.

Yhony has replied to all my emails quickly and without any hint of an "oh no, here we go again" attitude.

There are also other tours for this excursion but I don't have any experiences with the others.

I would definitely suggest that you go to the section on cruise critic that deals with the ports and excursions and check them out for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Also, thanks everyone for all your replies and comments about this excursion......the replies and the conversations I have had with Yhony have really allayed my fears.

jst wannted to sey its fine, sry bout the typinnng, can only use 1 fingr now, all tht's left aftr snake bit otherrs while hands wre hangin ovr tube.

Just kidding of course, but I had to laugh at this because I'm the same way. I was worried about not being able to see what was in the water, the pictures I saw it didn't look like clear snorkeling water and the caves were dark. I still haven't done this only because we decided on the shark ray alley and Caye Caulker day, but I'll try it when I get back.

"jst wannted to sey its fine, sry bout the typinnng, can only use 1 fingr now, all tht's left aftr snake bit otherrs while hands wre hangin ovr tube."

Thank you for replying the way you did, I am still laughing!!!

What a great way to start the day, with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my heart!

Cheryl,

If you want to do this and have concerns for your children check out www.cave-tubing.com

I have been emailing Yhony from "the Native Way" with my all my concerns and he is very reassuring. He takes young children and elder adults and watches out for them like they are his own family. They even take non-swimmers and stick with them like glue!

The reviews on cruise critic about cave-tubing.com are all great. Haven't seen a bad one yet.

Yhony has replied to all my emails quickly and without any hint of an "oh no, here we go again" attitude.

There are also other tours for this excursion but I don't have any experiences with the others.

I would definitely suggest that you go to the section on cruise critic that deals with the ports and excursions and check them out for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Also, thanks everyone for all your replies and comments about this excursion......the replies and the conversations I have had with Yhony have really allayed my fears.

I couldn't agree more. And it wasn't too cold in December, so I would think it would be fine year 'round.

Hey lnew1gd1 -

We are from the same area. We live in Pittston, so are only about 20 minutes away.

Enjoy your cruise. We are leaving in 10 days and are going to try the cave-tubing/zipline combo with Nacho and Cynthia. This is our first trip to Belize.

Hopefully I'll get a review in before you leave and I can let you know how the water is.

Jen

Hey lnew1gd1 -

We are from the same area. We live in Pittston, so are only about 20 minutes away.

Enjoy your cruise. We are leaving in 10 days and are going to try the cave-tubing/zipline combo with Nacho and Cynthia. This is our first trip to Belize.

Hopefully I'll get a review in before you leave and I can let you know how the water is.

Jen

Awesome,

I would love to read your review. Hope you get it in before we sail. It is also our first time in Belize.

Love these winter vacations!

Great to get away from the cold, although, it has been OK so far this month. I am not a lover of the winter season!

Have a great time on your cruise and hope to talk soon!

Archived