Caymans Snorkel: Cheeseburger or Cemetery Reef?

HRHMadonna

We have done stingray/reef snorkel combo many times and also snorkeled Eden Rock on Grand Cayman. Looking for some new sites...

Have heard great things about Cheeseburger Reef & Cemetery Reef....anyone familair with both? Which would you recommend? Could you provide any directions? Can one take a taxi to these locations?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, we were in Grand Cayman for a week's stay last February and we snorkeled twice at cemetary reef. It was wonderful, right off the beach. I am hoping the island is a bit more in order from 2005 when they were still in recovery from hurricane Ivan. It has been a year so I am sure much progress has been made. As for the snorkle experience at cemetary reef, all four of us thought it was our favorite site on the island. We saw so many varieties of fish and coral. I would snorkle this spot again in a heartbeat. I am afraid of deep water so this was perfect for me. I still can't get over how many fish we saw on the two days we were there.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the reef and wreck snorkel. Takes you to the Cali and then Cheeseburger reef. Lots of huge tarpin at Cheesburger reef. At first glance they look like sharks.

It was an overcast day, but saw lots of coral and fish. Had to be careful and watch out for the Atlantis submarine. You have to get out of their way.

I've gone all over GC looking for the best snorkeling. Cemetery reef is my wife's favorite spot. It also has the advantage of a really nice beach. I've snorkeled there about 5 times. Once I found some really great coral quite a ways offshore to the right as you face the ocean, but on repeat visits to Cem Reef I couldn't find that spot again (its a big ocean).

My favorite spot is Eden Rocks. I'm always impressed by the fish and coral. I did cheesburger reef twice. Its big coral heads separated by sand. Once I loved it, the next time the water wasn't so clear. But big tarpon hang out there.

You have to remember that the recent weather plays a big part in whether the water is very clear so a place you like one time might not be so good the next.

Happy snorkeling.

Archived