Excursions with kids???

sandymac

We will be traveling the Eastern Carribean with Carnival in February. We will be going with our three children (8, 5, and 2.5). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with kids at each port. We will be visiting San Juan, St Martin, and St Thomas.

Thanks for all your help!

Sandy

Hi there! Our family will be sailing the Eastern route in March on RC so I've been researching this information as well. For St. Maarten I've recieved the following suggestions: travel to Maho beach and watch the airplanes take off and land ; take a cruise aboard the Lord Sheffield tallships (apparently very family friendly); and I came across the "playstation for kids" (http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/tours.php?area=7 ) at Pelican Marina but I have been advised it's not worth the money.

As for St Thomas I haven't found much geared toward kids. I think I will take my boys (6 years old) to Coral World (an aquarium type place - lots of info on the St Thomas boards about this place) and spend the rest of the day at one of the beaches. My husband and I went to Megans Bay back in February and it would definitely be a good choice for families.

That's about all I've got so far but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what others suggest. Have a fantastic cruise!!!

Susie

Hi! We were on the Destiny last May with DS 6 and DD 2.

We stayed in San Juan pre-cruise. I'm not sure what the timing is like (I know some ships call there for the evening only), but if you are there during the day, check out the fort. It's a little scary with a 2 year old - not much by way of being child-proofed - but DH took her to watch the movie and hung out in the little gift shop while DS and I explored. Also, pack a collapsible kite - really awesome kite flying on the grounds just outside! And that part of it is safe (well, as safe as any place is for a 2 year old!)

In St. Thomas we took one of the jitney tours of the island that also included a stop at a beach. We went with Geoffrey, and knowing we had a little one, he put us in the rear seat of the cab of his truck, so DD was completely contained, and much safer than she would have been on the bench seats with open sides. We went to the beach next to Coral World (can't remember the name). It was a nice day as we'd never been there before. Next time (if there is one!) I think I'd look into going to St. John.

We also made an unscheduled stop in St. Martin, as we missed Aruba. Ended up at Orient Beach and loved it. The surf was such that you had to hold onto the kids, but they were thrilled, and it wasn't really scary. At least if you happen to let go the water is so clear you can spot them immediately (I'm used to the Atlantic in the northeast, so that was a major comfort factor!) There was a little bar with a nice playground in the sand that was shaded. They enjoyed that. After spending the morning there, we went back to near where the boat was docked and sat outside and had a late lunch at a restaurant recommended by several locals - can't remember the name, but all three people we asked (including the cab driver) recommended the same place.

Anyway, hope this helps. Any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer. Happy cruising!

I did these Eastern ports with my kids.

In San Juan we just got off the ship and walked around. We were there in the evening and this worked out fine for the kids. We had dinner on the ship and then got off and walked around a bit and bought a few things.

In St. Thomas we did a sail and snorkel on a catamaran. I did get off the boat and snorkel a bit with my youngest holding on to me and one of my arms wrapped around him...did not last to long that way! But the guides were GREAT and took my older kids along with them. I am a single mom so no other parent to help me out!! I booked this tour directly through Carnival. The excursion boat left right from the pier near the ship so it was easy for us and the it was a large, comfortable boat for all my kids. There was a head and snacks served. Shaed for those who wanted it and my older kids loved sitting out on the front while we sailed!

In St. Maarten we went to Divi Beach. All 4 of my children agreed that this was a wonderful day! They played in the water for hours and the older girls got their hair braided. We were having such a wonderful time that we opted to skip the bus back to the pier and stayed a couple of extra hours and paid for a taxi.

Archived