Private charter for 27 people---need suggestions!

PattiPB

Hello!

We are doing a family reunion this summer, so the 27 people range in age from 76 down to 6, and range from veteran cruisers to paranoid probably seasick newbies! Family!

We want to charter a boat privately for a stingray and snorkel excursion. Does anyone have any advice or sugggestions for this? Seven of us used Nativeways last summer, and we will NOT use them again, so any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I don't think some of my family will survive a catamaran, unfortunately. Also, we would like whomever has the best steps into the water, for my parents, KWIM??

Looking for experience, suggestions, price quotes, whatever you can offer. Thanks!

With a group that size, privately chartering is definitely the way to go.

Can you explain a bit better why you don't think a catamaran would work? Is it the entry/exit from the water?

For a group that size you'll need a fairly large boat. As a first step, you might want to try contacting a few of the larger watersports companies and inquiring about availablity of suitably sized boats.

do a search for Travelworks she is a member on here that had a fantastic time on their groups private charter. Maybe jus look around for her posts. I know she has her info posted on here somewhere. She was on our cruise and they all seemed to have a really great time.

Just a few weeks ago (Dec. 15th) our family group of 21 chartered the Moby Dick boat from Moby Dick Tours. Our group ranged from a 2 yr old to late 60's, lots of newbies, and some experienced snorkelers. We had a fantastic time. He charged us $1000 for up to 30 people. It was worth it. A couple of people just enjoyed the boat ride, filming our group, and didn't go into the water. The rest did and are still talking about the great time they had. Here's the website: www.mobydicktours.com Mark Buttons the owner also has an Arizona cell phone number & called me & my daughter to make arrangements. This is his E-mail address: info@mobydicktours.com The boat had lots of shade, plenty of seating, a small bathroom, water, punch, squid for the stingrays, snorkeling gear in all sizes & provided transportation to and from the boat dock. There were 2 sets of steps going into the water. I have arthritis and had no trouble getting in or out of the boat. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies!

So far, the quotes I have are from Moby Dick ($1000) and Sotos ($800) for the private charter. Both boats look similar, and they are offering the same excursion.

Last year, the boat we were on only had 1 ladder, which was crowded most of the time, becuase our boat had about 30 people on it. It also didn't have a lowered deck before the ladder (KWIM??), so it was a good 5-7 steps down a straight ladder to get in the water. My mother just didn't want to try it. I think with a more slanted ladder (as I've seen on their websites) and all of us being patient with it, we can get her in for the stingrays.

My family LOVES to sail, and we are experienced cruisers and snorkelers. This is completely new to all of my siblings and their kids. Several of them get VERY car sick, and are convinced they will get seasick. I just feel a heavier, motorized boat will bob less in the water, hopefully helping those with motion problems, especially if they stay on the boat and don't venture into the water.

Any other suggestions/experiences/advice welcome!

Patti, we used to have a speed boat that was built with two hulls (deck boat, similar to a pontoon boat). It was a lot more stable than boats with a single hull. I personally think that the catamarans are more stable than the regular boats. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the insight, Sheffie!

Honestly, I think the entire thing is psychological in this case. With the right mindset, and a steady blast of Bonine, I think they'll do just fine. I just can't convince them!

Archived