Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good Afternoon Coolers, particularly those in the “Sleepy Do” sub-committee! 🙂

It is a sad example of how low my life has sunk that I have been looking forward to this small box of 10 day “sleepy dough” in the fridge that I made into today’s light lunch ficelle .  To explain ficelle is simply a much thinner baguette  and is our favourite bread.  it’s less crumb and  more crunchy crust.  It is a glorious bread and seems to be overlooked by many who would love it.  So today was a bottle of house white with previously mentioned ficelle and live TV of two KC’s on the Post Office enquiry live feed taking bits out of each other.  

I’ve enclosed a picture of the dough to hopefully show how it’s time rather than kneading that gives sublime open texture. 

It ended up as a Milanese salami ficelle with tomato and mayo.  The confusing thing to me and has always been how simple  peasant eatings often offer so much more pleasure than so called “sophisticated” eatings.

Jeff

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It is a sad example of how low my life has sunk that I have been looking forward to this small box of 10 day “sleepy dough” in the fridge that I made into today’s light lunch ficelle .  To explain ficelle is simply a much thinner baguette  and is our favourite bread.  it’s less crumb and  more crunchy crust.  It is a glorious bread and seems to be overlooked by many who would love it.  So today was a bottle of house white with previously mentioned ficelle and live TV of two KC’s on the Post Office enquiry live feed taking bits out of each other.  

I’ve enclosed a picture of the dough to hopefully show how it’s time rather than kneading that gives sublime open texture. 

It ended up as a Milanese salami ficelle with tomato and mayo.  The confusing thing to me and has always been how simple  peasant eatings often offer so much more pleasure than so called “sophisticated” eatings.

Jeff

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

They look really lovely Jeff. Certainly beats Mothers Pride!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Jeff

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

Jeff, 

The black sesame seeds are a nice touch.  And that is some bodacious crumb, boy howdy!!  I'd like to slather some fresh garlic aioli on there, some crispy thick cut smoked bacon, slices of warm-from-the-garden ripe red tomatoes, and a few leaves of butter lettuce and dive in.  With, of course, the obligatory German beer stein full of the house wine... 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Jeff, 

The black sesame seeds are a nice touch.  And that is some bodacious crumb, boy howdy!!  I'd like to slather some fresh garlic aioli on there, some crispy thick cut smoked bacon, slices of warm-from-the-garden ripe red tomatoes, and a few leaves of butter lettuce and dive in.  With, of course, the obligatory German beer stein full of the house wine... 

I do like it when you talk dirty! 🙂

When my wife catches me watching bread stuff on Youtube (yes I know it’s sad) she says “Have I caught you watching that smut again!”

I have a 11 day light malted ficelle for tomorrow.  I like rehydrating dried fried onion and adding it.  We have a very old established Salmon smoker in the UK called Formans.  We buy their London Cure and I have a pack. 

https://www.formans.co.uk/our-story/london-cure/

I have to make a few batches of dough tomorrow as I’ve been a bit lazy.  When I add a touch of malt with a white and rye mix (80/20) and add a fair dose  of steam in the bake it tastes fairly close to a traditional bagel without all of the palaver. 

Jeff

ps.  They were nigella seeds!  

• Like 3

Celibacy can be a choice in life, or a condition
imposed by circumstances.      
While attending a Marriage Weekend, my wife and
I, listened to the instructor declare; 'It is essential that husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other.."
He then addressed the men,
'Can you name and describe your wife's favourite flower?'
I leaned over, touched my wife's hand gently, and whispered,
White Wings Self-Raising Flour, isn’t it?

And thus began my life of celibacy....
  • Haha 7

Good Evening Coolers,

An unsuccessful day on the cake front! 🫣

The boss declared she was in a cake mood this afternoon so  I set about making an almond cherry Madeira cake.  But even with the proper precautions the cherries sunk.  😞

So I’m too ashamed to post a piccy.

Last night was another heavily sleepless night and at around 3am I had the yearnings for some bread and butter and a little jam. The great thing about always having a couple of boxes ready in the fridge is that you can be eating some slices from a well developed dough in less than an hour.  The new oven proves bread in 20 to 30 minutes and then I can bake it with a few steam squirts in another 30 for a lovely crisp fresh baton.

So last night was a lightly malted onion ficelle with butter and house red in a lovely silent kitchen.

Always keep  a box of dough ready for emergencies.

Have a great evening all.

Jeff 

IMG_5280.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Lucky you … nothing this far south but watching it live on Youtube from an East Midlands back garden.  You can run the feed back to see some earlier highlights.

Hope the link works …

Some things really are worth travelling north of Watford for Jeff, just ignore the maps that say “ theyre be dragons”. 😁 I’ve seen many posts from friends tonight from Wales, Manchester, Lancashire, Yorkshire and The Wirral. Being a Friday night though, I assume the Scott’s were busy. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The boss declared she was in a cake mood this afternoon so  I set about making an almond cherry Madeira cake.  But even with the proper precautions the cherries sunk.  😞

So I’m too ashamed to post a piccy.

Jeff, your almond cherry madeira upside-down cake sounds great, and we are sure it looks great too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon `Coolers,

Today was a special request from The Boss.  Salmon and my cheats sauce.

And for Spins ….. PEAS!

IMG_5291.jpeg

A sprinkle of peas peak thru the spuds…i will have the peas and potatoes plzzzzzz

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

A sprinkle of peas peak thru the spuds…i will have the peas and potatoes plzzzzzz

Excellent.

It is once of our favourite vegetable dishes.  

Waxy reds diced largely and steamed until just under, fried slowly’ish in butter and olive oil with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg, pepper and sea salt and parsely.  It is sweet and lovely. 🙂

• Like 1

Well I Must admit, Eurovision 24 was a triumph. Not only have we Peed off the rest of Europe so much by leaving their little club that our little entry earned nil points in the public vote, but more importantly, we have solved a mystery that has has been ongoing for some time. Whatever happened to Bagpuss? I Believe that that poor old saggy cloth cat has been murdered by the EU bigwigs and made into a Bolero Jacket for this years winner. What depths will they stoop to? What must Emily be thinking? And that pink skirt really didn’t flatter him. I’ve seen better legs hanging out of a nest.

IMG_0155.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Excellent.

It is once of our favourite vegetable dishes.  

Waxy reds diced largely and steamed until just under, fried slowly’ish in butter and olive oil with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg, pepper and sea salt and parsely.  It is sweet and lovely. 🙂

Welsh reds I hope?

39 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Well I Must admit, Eurovision 24 was a triumph. Not only have we Peed off the rest of Europe so much by leaving their little club that our little entry earned nil points in the public vote, but more importantly, we have solved a mystery that has has been ongoing for some time. Whatever happened to Bagpuss? I Believe that that poor old saggy cloth cat has been murdered by the EU bigwigs and made into a Bolero Jacket for this years winner. What depths will they stoop to? What must Emily be thinking? And that pink skirt really didn’t flatter him. I’ve seen better legs hanging out of a nest.

IMG_0155.jpeg

It was all so utterly depressing, we spent most of the evening listening to live music stream of early music from Assisi and it was captivating. 

Jeff

12 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Did you ask them if the siared Cymraeg?

I must admit that was the one thing I didn’t think  of asking anybody.  🙂

This won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but perhaps as an addition to the daily funnies Coolers might not have come across a lovely Youtube channel called Letters Live.  

The majority are extremely funny and tickle the cranial buds and this is a nice one from Miriam Margoylyes. I got her to do a Cameo for my wife acouuple of years back for our anniversary and she was lovely.

These letters nearly always bring a smile.

• Like 3