Ft. Lauderdale Ship Watching

jojun24

We will be sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday. We will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale the night before and would like to go down to the port to watch the ships sailing Saturday evening. I would appreciate any suggestions on a good place to be to watch the ships sail. Thanks in advance.

I have ventured a couple of times to the top deck of the parking garage at the port to watch the ships come and go. I think you have to pay 3-4 bucks for the 1st hour. If you are ever there it is a wonderful place to go to see the 4th of July fireworks. I lived close by the last 20 years until I early retired to the Carolina mtns a few months ago..

Enjoy

Gary

We had boarded the Dawn Princess in FLL and were wandering around the decks outside when I noticed the Blue Angels were performing at a nearby base. We stood on the fantail and were treated to a great airshow in the distance.

Gary, what do you tell security at the entrance to the port to gain admittance, since you do not have any cruise documents for that day?

I should have suggested parking at the convention center which is just inside to port entrance. You should enter off of the 17th St Causeway.

http://www.ftlauderdalecc.com/parking_rates.php

Hey All!

My favourite Place to watch the Ships leaving Port Everglades is on the Rocks, which are placed between the Beach and the Channel. It's right next to the Point of Americas Condo-Buidlings.

There's even free public parking in that area. You can easily get there, if you take the second exit to the right after you crossed the 17th Street Bridge (driving towards the Beach) and it leads you to the correct Area.

On busy days, about 50 People or so can be seen there watching the ships, fishing, jet-skiing, etc...

Very nice, I can only assure you that this is the place to be, if you want to see the Ships leaving Port Everglades!

Cheers,

Phil:)

Hey All!

My favourite Place to watch the Ships leaving Port Everglades is on the Rocks, which are placed between the Beach and the Channel. It's right next to the Point of Americas Condo-Buidlings.

There's even free public parking in that area. You can easily get there, if you take the second exit to the right after you crossed the 17th Street Bridge (driving towards the Beach) and it leads you to the correct Area.

On busy days, about 50 People or so can be seen there watching the ships, fishing, jet-skiing, etc...

Very nice, I can only assure you that this is the place to be, if you want to see the Ships leaving Port Everglades!

Cheers,

Bingo... That was where I was going to say.

Seeing a lot of people in that area as we have cruised out of the port many times.

Ok, Longboys and Aquarius, I have fully explored all back in that area trying to get the best vantage point, and I'm still pretty sure I've never actually been to the rocks you are talking about, although I have seen them in aerial photographs.

There is another smaller condo in front of the Point of Americas and I have parked on the public road just in front of that building. Is that the parking you are referring to? But I have never found a path that would get me to the rocks without going on private property. Can you be a little more specific? Thanks.

Ok, Longboys and Aquarius, I have fully explored all back in that area trying to get the best vantage point, and I'm still pretty sure I've never actually been to the rocks you are talking about, although I have seen them in aerial photographs.

There is another smaller condo in front of the Point of Americas and I have parked on the public road just in front of that building. Is that the parking you are referring to? But I have never found a path that would get me to the rocks without going on private property. Can you be a little more specific? Thanks.

Signman, the parking I'm referring to should be the one you describe, there was a sign for public parking before Hurricane Wilma, so it should still be allowed to park there...

There's a green Gate to the left of the Entrance to Point of America (next to the entry of the parking garage)...you can open it, there's no lock on it and you will be able to walk directly onto the beach...it's not all private property...otherwise, they wouldn't allow so many people to be on the rocks every late afternoon there...

Otherwise, you can also stay at the Lago Mar Beach Resort and just walk on the Beach to the Rocks, it's only about 5-7 Minutes...

That's one of my favourites spots in whole Florida!

Cheers,

Signman, the parking I'm referring to should be the one you describe, there was a sign for public parking before Hurricane Wilma, so it should still be allowed to park there...

There's a green Gate to the left of the Entrance to Point of America (next to the entry of the parking garage)...you can open it, there's no lock on it and you will be able to walk directly onto the beach...it's not all private property...otherwise, they wouldn't allow so many people to be on the rocks every late afternoon there...

Otherwise, you can also stay at the Lago Mar Beach Resort and just walk on the Beach to the Rocks, it's only about 5-7 Minutes...

That's one of my favourites spots in whole Florida!

Cheers,

That's the place! Look for the green gate and go on back to the ocean.....the rocks are over to the right. And be sure to listen for the bell ringer in Point of America. He's been there ringing bells at ships since our first cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in 1991 and rang the bell last March when we sailed past on Millie.

Archived