Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

We are currently booked at the 17th st. Embassy Suites but are concerned with the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. The new Hilton is available on the Oceanfront but not sure its worth the extra cab fare. We are doing a one night pre and will want to have easy access to restuarants that night. I know there are a lot of choices near the Emb. Suites but haven't seen any pro's or con's about the oceanfront location. Should we just suck it up and stick with the Emb. for the free breakfast and convenience to the pier, or step up a notch to the Hilton Oceanfront?

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites and it was very nice. The location is perfect (across the street from a Chuck's Steakhouse and there's a Publix in back of it). It may be "less new" than the Hilton on the beach, but perfectly fine for one night's stay, especially with the cocktail reception and free breakfast! Of course it's up to you if you want brand new and on the beach and pay for transportation (if you want to spend the extra $$$).

No problem with the luggage, the cabbies are pretty resourceful. There may be cabs waiting in the ESA parking lot or next door at the HIX. If not, I'm sure the hotel would call one for you otherwise call 954-777-7777 or 954-333-3333 :rolleyes:

We are booked Hampton Inn 2 nights pre Feb 17 HAL and 2 nights post.

We are two couples, thus four+ suitcases, so I figured rental car from airport to Hampton Inn wouldn't handle and have booked Budget at Quay Plaza, SE17th for Friday 16 and return morning of 17, then taxi back to Hampton for their shuttle to Port.

I've read that getting a taxi at Port upon disembarkation is mad house so thought I should look for Hampton shuttle (I think they will pick up at Port?) and then once again get car rental.

I'm now thinking about getting bigger rental at airport - avoiding hotel shuttles and transfers to Budget, etc., but would I have to return pre cruise rental to airport and have Budget shuttle us to Port?

Would Budget pick us up at Port for similar post cruise rental?

Would appreciate your further advice.

Thanks

Dave

as I believe that they will let you pick the car up at the airport and drop it at Quay Plaza location.

We are picking up in Tampa and dropping and Quay Plaza without any drop charges. Doing the same on the return only in reverse.

If you are interested, The LaQuinta Inn at Plantation has a new look. It has been completely renovated. There is also a promotion going on that is called "Weekend Impulse" that gives you a $139.00 King room for $69.00 per night. We booked it for 2/9 & 2/10. If you call the LQ reservation number they will tell you that the hotel is sold out for your date, but you can book this deal online.

National Car Rentals at FLL has great rates on rental cars and they will shuttle you to the port from FLL if you turn your car in there.

Hope this will help those having a hard time finding reasonable rooms and cars.

GREAT CRUIZIN TO ALL!!!!!

as I believe that they will let you pick the car up at the airport and drop it at Quay Plaza location.

We are picking up in Tampa and dropping and Quay Plaza without any drop charges. Doing the same on the return only in reverse.

Many thanks Hugger. Will Quay Plaza Budget be picking you up at the Cruise Terminal when you return? Do you need to reserve a specific pick up time or do they run a shuttle from the pier to Quay Plaza?

Dave:)

As promised, here is our experience at the Grande for one night, pre-cruise on 1/26/07.

We arrived about 1 PM, and were able to check right in. We had been booked here since March, with the promise of a harbor view smoking room, on a high floor. Thanks to CC, I knew that the Tower was still under renovation, even though the hotel never told us this. We were locked in at $224 a night. No other discounts were available, as the place was sold out.

Our room ended up being in the West Villa, on the fourth floor. We could just barely see part of the harbor, but had a great view of the causeway bridge.:rolleyes: It was also a non-smoking room, but we were told we could smoke on the balcony.

We decided to have lunch and they have a VERY limited menu. The cheeseburger and chips was $12! I had called a month ahead and was told that they had a Tiki Bar near the pool that also served food and would be a great place for a CC get-together. Well, it was about 70 degrees and a little breezy, so the Tiki bar was closed because of "inclement weather". Huh? It was beautiful, especially for us snowbirds, but we were forced to eat and meet inside the bar. They did offer a very limited room service menu as well but that was major $$.

Breakfast the next morning was in the same bar area and a buffet for about $15 per person. It was a nice spread, but hardly worth the money. We understand that it's a resort, and therefore expensive, but the choices for food were very limited.

We also found out why the place was sold out. It was the headquarters for the Ladies of Olivia cruise that was going out on the Zuiderdam. All in all, the Grande was OK for a pre-cruise stay, but way over priced IMHO. Maybe once they get the Tower open again it will be back to how nice it used to be, but for now, the view "ain't" that great!

Dan, there's a great little clam stand called Tarks on Federal Highway in Dania. It's a hole in the wall, with a loyal local following. Only a couple tables outside and a dozen or so seats at a counter inside. Freshest clams, oysters, calamari and conch in town.

http://members.aol.com/__121b_HTjl9XXQT5p0Q5m8nFRRfKWapRGyDgZx5d14vHAVhdo=

Popcorngal, thank you so much for the review of the Grande. We were booked there for April and when we made the reservations were told that the tower is open. Then I found out that it is not and should open by April. That was not good enough for me as I love to watch the ships come in so back to the Hyatt Pier 66 like last year. A bit pricey but in my mind well worth the extra $$$. Thanks again.

Thank god I found this thread.

My two girlfriends and I are going on our first cruise, flying out of Boston on April 18th to FLL and going out of port of Miami on the 19th. I havent booked a room yet, we will be arriving at around 8pm that night and did see that the Hyatt in Miami looked reasonable, but didnt think too much about transport since I stupidly figured there would be shuttles etc to look at and book. I guess I need to look into rentals as this seems to be what everyone else does, or I have seen that you can do a Florida limo or something, but I dont want to wait around 2 hours for other passengers.

My questions would be basically is it somewhat easy to get from FLL to Miami for us directionwise, and is the Hyatt ok and how far from Miami airport to drop off car and get shuttle.

There is too much to look all day and figure out and we want somewhat nice and safe with food nearby for us that evening.

This is turning out to be sooooooo confusing. Booked a cruise and found a really cheap flight and we are like NOW WHAT???

Thanks so much all of you, for first timers I feel like I am back in a new school and do not know where to go!

This a great help to everyone! Thank you all!

Now, I need help. We have booked the Comfort Suites Air / Cruise Port on Sterling Road for 4 adults for $213.00 for one night 3/9 before our Star Princess cruise on 3/10. Is this an okay place????

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful! We just want somewhere clean and safe for one night!

Now, I need help. We have booked the Comfort Suites Air / Cruise Port on Sterling Road for 4 adults for $213.00 for one night 3/9 before our Star Princess cruise on 3/10. Is this an okay place????

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful! We just want somewhere clean and safe for one night!

I have seen that you can do a Florida limo or something, but I dont want to wait around 2 hours for other passengers.

Not sure where you heard 2 hours, that's not their policy. At the FLL airport they wait a maximum of thirty minutes. It's not uncommon to see a shuttle van with only 2 or 3 people in it heading to Miami. They segregate the hotel runs from the port runs as well.

Be that as it may, if you still opt to rent a car you'll find the signage and the layout of the highways is tourist friendly. Yes it's easy to get to. I would recommend dealing with a rental car company that has a drop off in downtown Miami since that's where you'll be staying. Avis and Hertz have downtown locations. You might want to check with the Hyatt to see if they have a car rental desk within the hotel, or where the closest agency is from the hotel. Avoid the airport if you can, traffic can be a bear around MIA and the free shuttle can be a pain as well. ;)

Not sure where you heard 2 hours, that's not their policy. At the FLL airport they wait a maximum of thirty minutes. It's not uncommon to see a shuttle van with only 2 or 3 people in it heading to Miami. They segregate the hotel runs from the port runs as well.

Be that as it may, if you still opt to rent a car you'll find the signage and the layout of the highways is tourist friendly. Yes it's easy to get to. I would recommend dealing with a rental car company that has a drop off in downtown Miami since that's where you'll be staying. Avis and Hertz have downtown locations. You might want to check with the Hyatt to see if they have a car rental desk within the hotel, or where the closest agency is from the hotel. Avoid the airport if you can, traffic can be a bear around MIA and the free shuttle can be a pain as well. ;)

Thanks for the info, the 2 hrs was something said on tripadvisor, so I was going by that. I now know better, and thank you!!

As for the Hyatt, do you know if this a good choice? I can get the room for about $159 a night for 3 adults and since we wouldnt check in until after 9pm and leave the following mid morning it sounded ok. I just want something relatively nice and convenient area wise. I think we will do the shuttle then.

Thanks so much again!!

I have not stayed at the Sleep Inn, but there was a thread going not too long ago saying that it is an excellent hotel for the price, with no complaints from the posters.

Perhaps if you use the search feature, you could come up with it. I don't usually have much luck using search, but other's do it all of the time.:confused:

It did sound as though those who were commenting had stayed there more than once, and were very pleased.

Good Luck - Lucky You. We had to cancel our cruise.:( :(

Thanks for the info, the 2 hrs was something said on tripadvisor, so I was going by that. I now know better, and thank you!!

As for the Hyatt, do you know if this a good choice? I can get the room for about $159 a night for 3 adults and since we wouldnt check in until after 9pm and leave the following mid morning it sounded ok. I just want something relatively nice and convenient area wise. I think we will do the shuttle then.

Thanks so much again!!

The shuttle is a great idea. Always take anything you read on TripAdvisor with a grain of salt. Your more inclined to find truthful reviews and experiences on CruiseCritic versus TA.

Regarding the Hyatt, from what I've read on CC it's a decent hotel. This is a Ft.Lauderdale hotel thread, you really should look through threads discussing Miami hotels. You might get some hits using the boards search feature as well. Otherwise start a new thread. Good luck and have a great cruise.

SailAways - sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip.

I am having a terrible time with hotels. Right now I have two booked.

The Sleep Inn and the Comfort Suites Air / Cruise Port on Sterling Road.

Which is the best?

Boy, I hope someone else steps up here, but from what I read when we were researching, the Sleep Inn in Dania would be best of these two. Looked like things on Sterling Rd. were not recommended much, as I recall.

Help Is On The Way, I'm Sure!!

SailAways - sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip.

I am having a terrible time with hotels. Right now I have two booked.

The Sleep Inn and the Comfort Suites Air / Cruise Port on Sterling Road.

Which is the best?

I would recommend Sleep Inn over that Comfort Suites. If you use the discount link found on this site you can get the Sleep Inn for $188 for March 9th for 4 adults. That gives you two queen beds and a sofa bed. Free airport and port shuttle and free continental breakfast.

http://www.smartertravel.com/discounts/Save-Quality-Comfort-Clarion.html?id=16348

Archived