Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

We booked the Embassy suites in FT Lauderdale for our pre cruise night.... IS this a good hotel or should we change it. They are offering to drive us to the port in the AM and the rate is 189.00.... can anyone tell me about this hotel or a better hotel to stay at? Thanks again

Dan, there's a great little clam stand called Tarks on Federal Highway in Dania. It's a hole in the wall, with a loyal local following. Only a couple tables outside and a dozen or so seats at a counter inside. Freshest clams, oysters, calamari and conch in town.

http://members.aol.com/__121b_HTjl9XXQT5p0Q5m8nFRRfKWapRGyDgZx5d14vHAVhdo=

Thanks for the info! I'm going to keep this place in mind for April!!

Donna we will be at the Sleep Inn on the 9th as well? Are you leaving on a cruise on the 10th? If so which ship? We will be on the Jewel:p

We're staying at the Sleep Inn on the 23rd for a 03/24 sailing of the Jewel in a D1 hump room. ;) Let me know if new bedding is in place on your cruise. I'll be posting in your roll call after you get back asking about it. Thanks!

P.S.- If you haven't already you should check to see if your cruise rates have dropped. We've already saved $1400 from what we paid when we booked last April.

I am a little confused. We stayed at the Embassy a couple of years ago and thought that it was fine. I am now planning again for our next cruise and the reviews that I am reading on tripadvisor of ES are mostly bad. Has anyone stayed recently. Also I was wondering which of the two renaissance or pier 66 would be a better choice.

Thanks for your help.

I am now planning again for our next cruise and the reviews that I am reading on tripadvisor of ES are mostly bad.

Take the tripadvisor reviews with a grain of salt, trust the reviews of your fellow cruisers on these boards. The hotel is fine. ;)

Bequia,

First let me say thanks for all the advice that you have shared on this thread. My original plan to stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 has to be changed as the price went above $300.00 for March 31 st. before I could book it. The back up was to stay at the Sleep Inn ($179.00)that everyone praises. I have now decided to rent a car since we get in early in the morning. My question would be now that I can drive anywhere I want to, are there other decent hotels within say 15 miles of the airport that you could recommend. We dont need to be on the beach or near restaurants. Thanks again, Kastaway Ken

There has been much written about that Hampton Inn. You could probably find it with a search. There's not much in the area, and at night you probably shouldn't go out walking, but the hotel is fine, all Hampton Inns are pretty much the same. Those that have stayed report that the shuttle service is just fine too. There is a small strip shopping center with a Winn Dixie and a few other shops. The only restaurant nearby I know is Lester's Diner, which is very good. Maybe the hotel will shuttle you to the 17th Street area where there are lots of dining options. Cabs will take you anywhere the shuttle will not, Las Olas Blvd for example.

Bequia,

My question would be now that I can drive anywhere I want to, are there other decent hotels within say 15 miles of the airport that you could recommend. We dont need to be on the beach or near restaurants. Thanks again, Kastaway Ken

Ken, with a car I'd look first at Plantation FL, There's a ton of brands to choose from most in really good areas. The next area is out west in Weston. Check those towns for now, let me know what interests you and we'll go from there.

showe0208, The area you've selected is not the greatest area in our town. For around the same price, in nicer neighborhoods, the Sleep Inn & Suites in Dania and the LaQuinta Inn & Suites in Hollywood would be a better choice. Both offer airport/cruiseport shuttle, free breakfast and a pool. Both hotels have received favorable reviews from your fellow cruisers.

If your familiar with Priceline, winning bids for the Marriott Renaissance on SE 17th Street have been averaging $125 a night.

Thanks Bequia,

I did change hotels to Laquinta. Steep price but we can walk to restaurants, shops etc. We'll take a cab to the beach dring the day and enjoy the boardwalk and then catch a movie in the evening. There appears to be a movie theatre across the street from the hotel. Good time to see "Wild Hogs" There's a red lobster across the street. Even though we live in Mass and get the best seafood, both DH and I like red lobster and there isn't one in Mass. Thanks again for your advice. If your ever come up our way I'll be glad to help in any way I can with your accommodations. I'm more familiar with the cape area versus Boston area. :)

Susan

This a great help to everyone! Thank you all!

Now, I need help. We have booked the Comfort Suites Air / Cruise Port on Sterling Road for 4 adults for $213.00 for one night 3/9 before our Star Princess cruise on 3/10. Is this an okay place????

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful! We just want somewhere clean and safe for one night!

Totally off subject but does the dsw stand for Designer Shoe Warehouse?

:cool: :cool: :cool: THERE IS A WEBSITE THAT LISTS HOTEL/MOTELS FOR UNDER 100.00 A NITE... MOST ARE CLOSE TO FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH... I HAVE SEEN THESE MOTELS AND MOST ARE CLEAN.. JUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND CALL THESE PLACES AND ASK IF THERE ARE ANY SHOPS, LIQUOR STORE ETC.... MOST ARE ALSO CLOSE TO LAS OLAS BLV. YOU MMIGHT BE ABLE TO TAKE A WATER TAXI TO PORT EVERGLADES.... OTHERWISE IT IS AROUND $20.00 BY TAXI.

THE WEBSITE IS

WWW.SUNNY.ORG

MARIA:cool: :cool:

:confused: I've been searching through this long thread to help me make a decision but currently I have narrowed down my reservation for 1 night to Amerisuites (17th) and Holiday Express (SW84) for one room for 6 of us. Because we are cruising on Sunday 4/8 (CB) I would like to go to mass on Easter Morning before we embark. Holiday Express has church 1/4 mi away but I not sure if Amerisuites has a Catholic Church w/i walking distance (1 mile is OK). I dont think I want the hassle of taxis & so forth. All the info of SW84 has me concerned. So if someone is kind enough to offer any info on this strange request, it would be most appreciated. Thanks, Cindy

Susan, I am so glad that someone else actually likes the Red Lobster. Read the roll call on the last page for Star Princess 4/14 sailing. Debronco calls it the Dead Lobster and between him and Hank I get attacked. Feel free to add your 2 cents on that one.:D

Thanks Bequia,

I did change hotels to Laquinta. Steep price but we can walk to restaurants, shops etc. We'll take a cab to the beach dring the day and enjoy the boardwalk and then catch a movie in the evening. There appears to be a movie theatre across the street from the hotel. Good time to see "Wild Hogs" There's a red lobster across the street. Even though we live in Mass and get the best seafood, both DH and I like red lobster and there isn't one in Mass. Thanks again for your advice. If your ever come up our way I'll be glad to help in any way I can with your accommodations. I'm more familiar with the cape area versus Boston area. :)

Susan

Susan, I know you'll be happy with your accomodations. I enjoy Red Lobster as well, and definately prefer a Maine lobster over a Florida lobster any day. Thanks for the offer about the cape area, I may take you up on it one day. Have a great cruise.

ps...I'll be seeing Wild Hogs tomorrow, can't wait, looks to be pretty funny

This thread is wonderful! I just found it today. I'm sure the answer to my question is lurking in the 25 pages of responses, but I'm going to ask anyway! :-)

DH, 18y/o niece, and I will be arriving FLL May 19, to sail May 20 on Carnival Liberty. We'd like to stay in the 17th St. area so we can use the water taxi and go to a liquor store pre-cruise. We stayed at the Marriott Marina several years ago and had a great view of several of the cruise ships in port, but I understand that the now-Ft. Lauderdale Grande may be overpriced and in the process of being remodeled. Would someone please suggest a hotel that might allow us a view, provide transportation from airport to hotel and then to cruise terminal (or we can just do the taxi thing) and is reasonably priced. (HAHAHAHAHA...she wants it ALL!!!)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

YaYaCruiser and Funnthesunn

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! YaYaCruiser and Funnthesunn

Not much of a view, pretty reasonable, transport from the airport, shops and restaurants within walking distance, Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street.

We are staying at the Grand pre and post cruise. Is Thrifty the only rental car agency with the shuttle to take us to the pier so we dont have to go to the airport? We would like to pick it up at FLL and return near the port to be shuttled to the port, and in reverse at the end of our cruise.

Suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!

Archived