EasyCruise----Yikes!

bldsld

This line is a clever alternative for those wishing the cruise experience with limited funds (not that I have UNlimited funds!)...but it reminds me too much of my poverty stricken 20's, when I had to trade in empty bottles to get enough money to buy gas for my car....no thanks!

Jane :(

When I suggested to hubby, that another trip we should do is the POW train mentioned in another thread, his idea was that we should get to India on a "freighter cruise"! (if thats the only way I can get him there, I will go for it!)

SeaHawk......please don't make fun of poor Galveston.......hahaha

I'll never forget about 7 or so years ago, the Seabourn Sun called on Galvez.

I was soooo excited......I just KNEW Seabourn would add it to their "Ports of Call!" (deep down I knew better however)

Someday, I actually would like to board a "Freighter" and go somewhere! I wouldn't think they would have a "formal night", would they? I might even be sitting at the Captain's table some evening!

MB

This thread got me thinking about days gone by (1966) when I traveled with Fodor's 'Europe on $5/$10 a Day' clutched in my hand. I think the 'best' buy was a night in a bar in Vienna, very close to the Hotel Sacher (where I did have some torte). However, nary an en suite bath in sight. Cost $4.00- with breakfast.

Anyone else have some tales of 'thrifty' lodgings?

Back in the late 80's I backpacked around Greece and Turkey a few times. For $6.00 I would stay with a widow in her empty hotel in the Plaka in Athens. A springy, but clean bed, Ouzo in the evening, no hot water and my choice of cats to share my bed! It was heaven at the time, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

When I was young, one year I rode the Southern Pacific from Abilene Texas to New York City......stayed in a dump......but every afternoon I would walk down to the Plaza and have "teatime and finger sandwiches" in the Palm Court.......then have to go back to the "flea hotel!" argh.......

'Ain't life wonderful now? Champagne and caviar on our Sister's Yachts with our Seabourn family!!!

MB

I made the mistake of arriving late in a western Montana town not knowing it was rodeo weekend. 20 miles back up the road I found a 2 story 1910 brick hotel complete with flashing red neon sign right outside my window ...... all night long! It wasn’t cheap and Lauren Bacall didn’t come knocking on the door at 3am either.

B

I saw EasyCruise in Bridgetown on 12/11 and all I can say is that they used a lot of orange paint! Didn't notice any unusual rowdiness of passengers in the terminal. But Seabourn let us board as soon as we got there at 1:15 and the other lines told people to come back later.

If all you want to do is visit the southern islands it might be an economical option, but for me the cruise experience is the reason for the vacation and any ports are just secondary.

Gosh, thinking of travels of poor (Financially, of course) youth. I remember in the late 60s holidaying in Zermatt, Switzerland over Christmas and finding it so expensive that Christmas Day lunch was a bread roll filched from the free breakfast in the pensione where we were staying. It was fun though! But not as much fun as being spoiled on the Three Sisters in "older" age. One of the few benefits of getting grey haired and droopy! Sue

When I was young, one year I rode the Southern Pacific from Abilene Texas to New York City......stayed in a dump......but every afternoon I would walk down to the Plaza and have "teatime and finger sandwiches" in the Palm Court.......then have to go back to the "flea hotel!" argh.......

'Ain't life wonderful now? Champagne and caviar on our Sister's Yachts with our Seabourn family!!!

MB

About three years ago Jim and I decided one weekend to go to New York like in the old days - you all remember, no money - we packed two backpacks - caught the BUS at union station in DC to New York and stayed at the West Side YMCA. We stood on line at Times Square for half price show tickets - in the upper deck! and we ate at little holes in the wall. We took the train everywhere (I'm originally from NYC) and we walked in the park- it was one of the best trips ever - second only to the Winter Palace in Luxor:) Our friends thought we were crazy but we had a ball.

Genie

Archived