Salisbury, England & the Red Lion Hotel

We stayed at the Best Western Red Lion Hotel, Salisbury, England for a couple of days prior to our British Isles cruise this August. There was only one bad part: NO air conditioning and England was enjoying a heat wave summer. One window was nailed shut and the other window would only open about 3 inches, not enough for the room to cool at night. Days were in the 80's and nights were 60's. If the night air could get in, it would have been comfortable.

Otherwise, the hotel was great. It is the oldest operating inn (at least in Salisbury), I think. There is a lot of history and ambiance. There is a pub, lounge, dining room and courtyard with seating. All were cooler than our room. We had the breakfast buffet which was delicious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was good size, bathroom good, bed good. The location was just what I was looking for. If the weather were mild, this would be perfect.

The first day we got there about 3 pm and just walked around after unpacking. All stores close at 5:30 pm. We had early dinner at Nando's across the street from hotel. They had a little air conditioning and a free-style Coke machine (with lots of ice if you like). Food was very good.

Found Gelato store just down the street. They had lots of good air conditioning and inside seating. A very popular place in the hot weather.

The next day we exchanged a few old 5 and 10 pound notes at a small bank. The man was very nice about it.

It was market day and we walked around looking at everything. I was amazed: fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers & crafts I expected. I did not expect fresh food (meat & fish), cooked and uncooked, and merchandise. It was very interesting and worth seeing.

We bought a couple of bottles of cold water from the Pharmacy & More (like our USA drug stores) and found the Hop on/Hop off bus for Stonehenge tour. I had purchased tickets on line, so easy to do. Gave reservation paper to driver; he gave me return tickets. We toured Stonehenge, visiting cafe, restrooms, gift shop, and exhibits. Enjoyed the history of the exhibits and the good air conditioning. The Stonehenge bus is GREEN, not red. The stop was on another corner from our hotel (convenient).

We did not get off at the Old Sarum stop due to time.

We got off the stop in Salisbury (across from hotel), had a gelato, and walked to the Cathedral. It was getting late, so we saw Magna Carta first. Then we went to the Cathedral and admired their windows and architecture. The choir was practicing for Sunday services, enjoyed that.

We returned to hotel to rest a bit (sore feet), and then walked to The Cloisters (pub) for dinner of fish and chips. It was very good too.

We had a good time in Salisbury and enjoyed that little town. With more time we could have explored further. Too bad we took our south Georgia heat with us.

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely review of your visit to Salisbury! I visit there several times a year and you have really captured the spirit of the place. It is technically a city, although quite small and very easy to explore.

The air conditioning, or lack of it, can be a problem in the UK when we have a heatwave. Usually there is no need for it, although on our UK travels, we do pop a fan in the car in case we need it!