Ladies - do you ever repeat a dinner outfit?

newbie280106

And here is the best part - for sleeping, I pack my oldest pj's or t shirts, wear them once or twice then just leave them in the cabin when the cruise is over. Same with undies.

So can I assume you don't cruise with a romantic partner?

Jane

This is an interesting thread. Last cruise I did not repeaat any outfits and brought two really formal gowns for formal night but as I said before I will do this when driving to the cruiseport-I won't do this when flying as I don't want to pay that fine for overweight luggage or be charged extra for that extra suitcase.

Fortunately my next cruise is only a 5 day and I am flying this time but I don't need as much-only one formal night and one informal night. I will take my little black dress for formal night and a very pretty almost formal looking skirt and poly-silk bouse for the informal night. both of these outfits are light weight and everything is poly organiza and taffeta and poly silk so no worry about wrinkles either.

Ladies there is another thing I will do to cut down on packing-I will wear a broomstick skirt with a casual top on casual night and the next day I will wear that top with a skort or capri. The top is still cean for the next day that way-I have tried changing into a skirt for dinner but that did not always work-if I had gotten pretty hot and sweaty on an excursion-then ofcourse I could not wear that top for dinner-but if I wear it to dinner first-well it works to repeat it that way.

One thing I have wondered about and maybe Esther can answer this-what will I do for a 2 week cruise? I imagine I will repeat outfits and have to use the cleaning service also to keep the packing down-any ideas on that ladies?

Momofmeg

Yes, I do repeat. We still had many suitcases for this last loooonnnnggg trip, and used their laundry service every 3 days. The usual black silky slacks, ivory pants, several tops, skirts, dresses...you know the drill. This time, for some reason, I threw in an extra pair of very comfortable Mesphistos thong sandals in white and black. Glad I did; I ended up breaking a bone in my ankle and those two sandals as well as my Clarks was all I was able to wear. I shudder to think what would have happened if I left them home...I'd be a vision in my Oceania slippers, woldn't I???? So, now always extra shoes...you just don't know.

We have a 2-week cruise this summer in Europe and that will be a challenge for me as far as packing. We're spoiled by driving to FLL or Miami and can bring all we want. I'm starting to make lists now and will pack things that I can wear a second time and that won't wrinkle.

Esther

It is funny how I found this post after starting to pack yesterday for our 1/22/06 Mariner of the Seas cruise. This will be our 5th cruise and the most important lesson I have learned is not to overpack, and not to bring a different outfit(in total) for day and evening wear. I am sooooo over getting fancied up that my packing is soooo much more simplified now.

I am taking a pair of black nice pants to wear on the not formal days, and silk tommy bahama off white capris. With them, an assortment of tops, plus the 2 formal evening attire, 2 shorts, tanks, 2 bathing suits, a few short sleeve tops and a sweater. DONE. I am even thinking of taking off one of the formals and wearing the black pants with a nicer top making it more formal. I have always worn to the nines on that evening just to find so many others dressed so simply. I am over impressing others and caring what others may say if I show up wearing the same pants more than once. It is all about ease of packing, ease of transporting to and from airport, and not worrying so much about what to wear. Now the trick is, can i do it? I am usually taking half my closet so I have choices... But with 2 kids to also pack for, this is tooooo much packing!

I spent 20 years traveling on business. Because of this and the fact that my husband and I take extended (30 days) vacations, I am a very disciplined packer. When I shop for clothes, I always consider how the item will fit with things already in my closet and how packable it is for traveling.

Everyone should do as they please. If it floats your boat to wear a different outfit every day and every night, go ahead. But it really isn't necessary. First of all, you will probably never see your shipmates and tablemates again. Secondly, do you really care if someone says "oh, she's wearing the same outfit again." Finally, while it is nice to have choices, is it worth being overloaded with luggage that you may have to lug around.

We are going on a 7-day Mexican cruise at the end of the month. I'll probably take a black gown for both formal nights along with a "mix and match" pantsuit and a sleeveless shift. All of the clothes are lightweight. My casual evening pantsuit could be dressed down for daytime wear.

These are my thoughts and you may feel differently. But, as I said above, go with whatever floats your boat.:)

I am leaving next Saturday on a 15 night cruise, and I am only taking one (yes, 1) dress for formal nights. It's black and street length, very simple style, and I have 3 different ways to accessorize it, so I won't look exactly the same all 3 formal nights. Night 1 - accessorize with jewelry; night 2 - sheer black beaded stole; night 3 - sheer black embroidered jacket that just happens to have a neckline that matches the dress' neckline. I also will be taking a pair of black pumps as well as a pair of strappy black sandles. Since I have a longer than usual (for me) cruise this time, I will be taking as many other clothes as I can pack and still be under the airline's weight restriction.

As the latent posters indicate, I think so much has to do with the length of your cruise and journey.

I lead a very casual lifestyle and it's very rare that we dress up at all. So to me, with no kids in tow, for a seven day cruise I like to take a different dinner outfit each evening. It makes the occasion all that more special for me even if we're dining casually.

I do carry a light load for casual day wear and ensure I've got proper footwear more than anything else! All in all, I'd say we were average packers, though for more than a two week cruise I'd be real challenged as to what to bring.

I also don't sweat the small stuff. You can send stuff out to the laundry if need be and you can buy stuff on board or on shore. With all the options, we have no worries other than trying to figure out where we're going to be cruising in 07! ;)

And here is the best part - for sleeping, I pack my oldest pj's or t shirts, wear them once or twice then just leave them in the cabin when the cruise is over. Same with undies. .

YUCK!!!!!!!!!! Presumably your traveling alone, cause it doesn't sound very sexy. My preference is quite the opposite, love to have my stuff new and updated before I go. Maybe even buy a little some extra nice :rolleyes:

Archived