overseas customers

killarney

The Australian Cruising market is still a premium market, they are charging because they can!!!

We use a Canadian TA and though we have always cruised with Princess in the past we are broadening our horizens and giving RCCL a go. Once again going through an offshore TA has saved us $$$$$$.

As far as I am concerned Princess has lost our business and if there not careful will be losing many more customers that like myself have been loayl in the past.

Our friends/relatives in the UK just did the easy thing. They simply stopped booking Princess and moved to other lines. As stated above, it is more than the price. The UK booking restrictions, especially on cancellation, are ridiculous. I truly hope that Princess feels the pain on this.

Our friends/relatives in the UK just did the easy thing. They simply stopped booking Princess and moved to other lines. As stated above, it is more than the price. The UK booking restrictions, especially on cancellation, are ridiculous. I truly hope that Princess feels the pain on this.

Yep, I seriously think that this is going to be the only answer. Our first cruise with Princess will be in March, and it'll have to be very, very good for us to continue cruising with them.

I think Princess has to get real with who their 'market' is. Their markets are internet users, TAs, repeat customers, new cruisers - not Americans, Brits, Australians etc. They're keeping no-one happy by their current policy - overseas customers aren't fooled by the discriminatory pricing, US TAs are unhappy at having to turn away business, and overseas TAs are bearing the brunt of their customers' irritation.

Now I've got that out of my system...I need a cruise:D !

This Princess policy is totally unfair to us non US customers, I am at present looking at quotes for a cruise in December this year, as a guide I went on Princess's website and got a price. The lowest price for the cruise was 2049 dollars, at the bottom of the quote it said "sign in for personal pricing "I signed in (computer now knows Im from the UK) price shoots up to 2561 dollars this is per person a difference of 512 dollars each. I had a quote from UK travel agent and it was 1735 pounds which is about the same as the second quote. These are cruise only as there are no flights available from Princess. What am I getting for my extra 1000 dollars? That extra would nearly get me in a suite(US prices). I am very disgruntled at being ripped off. My only way round this is to try and book in the US with agents that non US posters on this site have used.

You should send that information to the Times newspaper. I wrote to them last year (via email on their website) and they were very interested in the story which is why the Head of Marketing ended up phoning me. They managed to fob the newspaper off however if we all keep highlighting differences sooner or later someone will have to listen. I would also put it in writing to princess asking them to explain the price difference, they cannot use flights as an excuse this time.

PS: I still, however, envy the American passengers their ability to book and cancel a booking without penalty ('before' final payment). We lose our deposit as soon as the ink is dry!! I also like the way that US Travel Agents will often honour a price drop (again 'before' final payment). I also think the US passenger is more likely to receive an upgrade.

Laura

Hi Laura - we always home in on these treads dont we!! :rolleyes:

I agree with you about the booking policies of the UK the whole holiday booking process in the UK needs a complete overhall.

Ah, The United States, the land of the free. Champion of free trade - NOT. Funny that if this was tried in europe, it would be illegal (P&O are currently under investigation for a similar thing involving cross chanel ferries and if found guilty of this here the directors could face jail!)

I started another thread on this subject and was amazed at the number of OZ passengers who had experienced the same discriminatory (and actually illegal in Aust) practise. I wrote to MD of P&O in Australia and asked for an explanation but basically got fobbed off. Next stop friendly parlimentarian. Cruise industry is next to get same treatment music industry did with parrallel importing.

Thanks John. Yes you are correct. Unfortunately we have been waiting for a cabin on Statendam and our TA finally said that we should look elsewhere. So that is why I started this thread here on Princess after discovering the discrimination.

I started another thread on this subject and was amazed at the number of OZ passengers who had experienced the same discriminatory (and actually illegal in Aust) practise. I wrote to MD of P&O in Australia and asked for an explanation but basically got fobbed off. Next stop friendly parlimentarian. Cruise industry is next to get same treatment music industry did with parrallel importing.

As a lawyer, I must say I was surprised at P&O in Australia when I found out about the pricing situation. They do seem to be walking a very fine line with their current policies.

Be interested whether your 'friendly parliamentarian' gets anywhere - wish him/her every success!;)

Archived