Steerage class guest dining in the Queen's Grill?

Bollinge

I agree with Host Doug...cannot understand why one would pay a fortune for a suite on a mass market ship for the kind of service you receive. unless of course you intend to spend the entire time in your suite, in which case why bother going on a cruise in the first place. I have been on several crossings on QE2, two on QM2 (QE2 far far better imo), but most of the time sail on seabourn or silversea because I believe they give the best value for ones money. they are not cheap by any means but by the time you factor in tips, drinks, soft drinks, wine etc. which are all included, you are getting a very good deal plus true luxury service, not White Star make believe.

I agree with Host Doug...cannot understand why one would pay a fortune for a suite on a mass market ship for the kind of service you receive. unless of course you intend to spend the entire time in your suite, in which case why bother going on a cruise in the first place. I have been on several crossings on QE2, two on QM2 (QE2 far far better imo), but most of the time sail on seabourn or silversea because I believe they give the best value for ones money. they are not cheap by any means but by the time you factor in tips, drinks, soft drinks, wine etc. which are all included, you are getting a very good deal plus true luxury service, not White Star make believe.

We sailed the Caribbean in a trio of suites (with family) on the Norwegian Majesty a small ship by the industry's standards nowadays. We stayed in a suite because of two reasons: 1) Majesty has perhaps the smallest rooms afloat for general accomodations. Standard rooms were 100sqft while superiors were 140sqft. Suites were 235sqft large but not as that can be found on other ships. There were two Owner's Suites that were 375sqft I believe. Since we were a group of 6 family we decided to look for the largest rooms we could get and afford so we wouldn't have problems. 2) We were able to secure incredible prices. We paid less than $1,000 pp for the suites which was great. The biggest advantage to the suites on the mass market lines is of course the room size and although you don't get a special dining room you do get the services of a concierge and in alot of cases do get preferential treatment when it was warranted. We boarded immediately, got VIP tickets to everything, held seats, reservations handled by the concierge for all restaurant venues and express debarkation. So there are perks available but all in all I would agree that I do not think paying astronomical fares really is a good value.

I/we like to sail Cunard/QE2 mainly because of the historical nature of the ship, the fact that is does sail transatlantics regularly, and the best part being the best mix of passengers. Especially among true at-sea types you can't beat the atmosphere on the Queens especially the QE2 on a transatlantic.

There is something to be said for the suggestion that the best service is beyond the door into the Queens Grill lounge. Being on the Signal Deck gives you so much more than the rest of the ship. And unless you've done it, you probably will never have any idea about it, as it is all very understated.

I would love to be the chap that books an M-guarantee and gets bumped to Princess. A lot of the mainstream 'cruise' lines get into the game of upgrades and upsells but I am not sure how much Cunard does this aside from addressing problems, etc.

:) :D :) :D :)

Meet a couple that got one of those unbelievable upgrades. Here is the chain of events.

We booked an M1 guarantee for the Jan 9 NY-LA cruise.

We picked up our Pirate costumes for the ball on Thursday. (We looked really great in them, too.)

Friday, we got a call saying that Cunard wanted our room. They moved us to the LA-Sydney cruise on Jan 23, and bumped us up to a P3 cabin. Saturday, needless to say, we returned the costumes.

Then, today they called and bumped us up to a Q3 cabin.

We still can't believe they did this, but we can't wait to get on the ship. M1 to a Q3 WOW!!!!

Captain RAD

Carnival Sensation (We were stupid then)

Norwegian Dawn (Carribean)

Norwegian Star (Alaska)

Norwegian Star (Mexican Riviera)

QE2 (LA-Sydney 1/23/06)

:) :D :) :D :)

Meet a couple that got one of those unbelievable upgrades. Here is the chain of events.

Friday, we got a call saying that Cunard wanted our room. They moved us to the LA-Sydney cruise on Jan 23, . M1 to a Q3 WOW!!!!

Captain RAD

/

Wow! Sidney! Does this include air back home? Or do you have to row back! After all, they have mightily inconvenience you, changing your dates, your port of embarkation and your port of debarkation! I'd make sure they give you first class air back home! <G>

You have to wonder why they needed the cabin? A huge group traveling together? Maybe something happened to that cabin? WOW!

Heck- LA to Sydney- You might need the pirate costume anyway! Isn't that the part of the world where pirates are very active? Maybe you could scare them off or maybe demand a bit of the "honor among thieves" respect! <LOL> (Okay, that's more like near Indonesia and Somalia and such, but that's closer than the East Coast of the US is to it!)

congratulations!

Can you adopt me?

Karie (whine) Who misses the QM2 already

Archived