XCARET & DOLPHINS - GREAT TIME

sea_u_onboard

I went directly through the web site for the company at Xcaret that handles the dolphins - Via Delphi

https://www.cancuntravel.com/secure/delphi/reservations.asp.

The great thing about booking ahead is that you are guaranteed a time plus you get a small discount $104 instead of $115 - that DOES NOT INCLUDE admission to the park. Plus if for some reason you don't show up you are out the money - so be sure this is something you want to do. The bad thing for us is I booked for 3 of us then the youngest wouldn't even get in the water (his loss - well mine too since they don't give refunds). After several emails - trying to explain that I would have no control over showing up if the ship didn't dock - I did get them to agree to only an 8% cancellation fee if the ship didn't stop in Cozumel for some reason - but I would have had to send them an email that morning (from the ship).

I booked the Xcaret tour through the RCCL website before we left to ensure we had a seat on the ferry (it was $88.00 per person including transportation). It worked out real nice except we didn't get much time at the park - and the park is fantastic. We didn't get to the park until 10:45 - this was with meeting in the Showroom at 8:45. It took a long time to get off the ship. Then it’s an hour ferry ride followed by a 10 to 15 minute walk to the bus then another 15 or 20 minutes until you get to the park. Once in the park we were able to do the underground river - eat lunch - then get to the dolphins by 1:50 (you have to check in as soon as you get to the park - by the front entrance - they have signs says Via Delphi). We got our monies worth with the dolphins. It got started a little late - was to start at 2. Everyone was fitted with jackets and given instructions on how to interact with the dolphins, filled out forms then we were in the water. They split us into two groups - English speaking and Spanish speaking. Our group of about 10 was at one end of the enclosure with 3 dolphins that went in and out of the people. They would roll over and let you rub their bellies. It was great - this went on at least 15 minutes or more. Then we went down to the other end (switched groups) and we were given some educational information about the dolphins. We took pictures with the Dolphins and then were instructed on how to lie in the water for the foot push. This was the best part. You would lay in the water with your arms out in front of you and your foot shoulder distance apart. They would send two dolphins out - they would swim under you - then they would come up behind you and with a dolphin nose on each foot they would push you through the water which would make the top part of your body fly out of the water. It was SOOOOOO Cool. Then they lined our group up and had four dolphins swim up from behind and jump over us. They of course had pictures for sale afterwards. We were running very late - as the dolphins ran over (3:15). We barely got 3 pictures and had to hurry to the front of the park to meet the bus (by 3:45). We had enough time to stop in the gift shop quick for a drink and an ice cream. It was a QUICK day but worth the money.

Later at dinner our tablemates were very upset to learn what we got for our money – not at us – but at their selves. They too did dolphins in Cozumel – but at Chankanaab Park. It cost them $180.00 and she said that they were lucky if they had 15 minutes with the dolphins. The people were told to get in a circle (there was about 20 of them) and one dolphin swam around – missing half the group most of the time. They did this for about 5 minutes – then they got their picture taken – then the guide explained about the dolphin (very little) showed how it could wave good-bye and that was it. She asked why they weren’t getting the foot push that she saw another group getting and was told that it was the ROYAL package. Boy she was mad. So I would say even though we didn’t get to spend much time at the park and we did spend more ($192.00) each – we had a MUCH better experience.

I was disappointed that Nathan would not do it – but he enjoyed just watching.

Speaking of watching – there was a young man about 5 in front of us that when he did the foot push his swim trunks fell below his knees – he didn’t stop – probably figured it was his only shot. It was so funny. My son immediately did a trunks check.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

05/04 Rhapsody

Hi Cheryl!

Thanks for all the details re Xcaret! I'm hoping to go there in August and do the dolphin swim. I really enjoyed reading your post! Too funny about the fellow losing his trunks!

I was just wondering about food in the park. I know they have a lunch buffet and a dinner package. Do they have fast food places there? My DS 12 and DD 10 will be with me, and I'm wondering whether I should purchase the meal packages or just buy food in the park. What kinds of food do they have and can you give me an idea of the prices (the lunch package for the kids is $10/each and $11 for dinner).

Thanks!

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Enchantment of the Seas,Apr 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

Well - we took the advice of our guide (the one that meet as at the pier) and went to the restaurant that overlooks the ocean - can't think of the name right now - but it's by the Dolphins 1 enclosure. We figure he probably gets a kick back for suggesting it as he was there to let the people t the restaurant know we were with him. We ordered chicken fajitas thinking they would be great - after all this is a Mexican dish - but that were very dry, very bland and the only side item was mashed avocado (not guacamole). They brought these very small corn tortillas - about 4" across. I asked for flour and they brought some HOT steaming ones - but that didn't help. They were pretty tasteless and cost about $50.00 for 3 of us (with 3 cokes). Pretty pricey. I heard the buffet was pretty nice and not as expensive - but I couldn't say for sure. You may want to post your own thread on the food.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

05/04 Rhapsody

Thanks again for the info, Cheryl! That's a good idea re posting on the Food board; never thought of that! I will remember to stay clear of that restaurant though!

Thanks again! You've been a great help!

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Enchantment of the Seas,Apr 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

Archived